Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Favorite Religious Oppressions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
In the case of Christianity, I've often thought that the Crusades were the worst time in terms of rampant murder and tortures in his name, Amen.

Maybe that is why I find so much of Monty Python's work to be nearly the ultimate expression of humor. And the bits I like the most are clearly the anti-religimous ones.

One of my all time favorites is the Spanish Inquisition sketch from the TV series. After all, nobody expects me to use cut and paste:

(JARRING CHORD - The door flies open and Cardinal Ximinez of Spain enters, flanked by two junior cardinals. Cardinal Biggles has goggles pushed over his forehead. Cardinal Fang is just Cardinal Fang)

Ximinez: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is suprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again. (Exit and exeunt)

Man: I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

(JARRING CHORD - The cardinals burst in)

Ximinez: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn! (To Cardinal Biggles) I can't say it - you'll have to say it.

Biggles: What?

Ximinez: You'll have to say the bit about 'Our chief weapons are ...'

Biggles: (rather horrified) I couldn't do that...

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
The Salem Witchcraft trials. Although very small in comparitive size the absurdity of the entire event makes me realize just how vulnerable we all are. I have studied it quite a bit and because of its size it was relatively easy to track the entire episode. I have some Witch friends and we always remember to honor the innocents that suffered through that ordeal for nothing.

The harm done to the native peoples in this country by missionarys is also an often overlooked area. Not recognozed as religious oppresion but just as disasterous as the inquisition.

Dax

Dax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
There's a small village near where I use to live in The Netherlands. It's called Oudewater and once it was considered quite a town. They had (and still have, for historical reasons) a weighing scale there. If you were too light -- basically everyone, since malnutrition was common back then -- you were a witch. They had the best method of disposing witches too! They tide weights to your legs and threw you in the cannal. If you were able to surface you were a witch and burned at the stake. If you drowned you were innocent! No person lost there: you would go up to heaven anyway! Yippeee!

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I've heard estimates as high as 150 million native Americans were slaughtered during the invasion of the Conquistadors. I doubt the number is truly that high, but even if only half that number were killed, that's still a significant example of genocide, by any standards. But the worst Christian atrocity, IMO, was the deliberate destruction of ancient documents, writings which could've added a great deal to our still-skimpy knowledge of our past. For this loss there can be no forgiveness, since there can be no reparation to the world. It was truly a crime against humanity. Those ancient manuscripts are gone forever, and can never again teach what they had to teach.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

I've heard estimates as high as 150 million native Americans were slaughtered during the invasion of the Conquistadors. I doubt the number is truly that high, but even if only half that number were killed, that's still a significant example of genocide, by any standards.

What is remarkable, especially in North America, is that any Native American peoples still exist.  Several populations throughout history have been persecuted and tormented by their conquerors, but I always thought the American conquest was unique in that had things played out just thismuch worse than they already were, you would have seen an entire race of people wiped from the earth.  Forget the cultural destruction, I'm talking complete elimination of the peoples themselves.  If there had been a few more Shermans in the army, and a few more Manifest Destiny champions at the state and federal levels, it is possible that there would be no Reservations now for there would be no one to live on them.

Seti

Seti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
The early stuff was pretty bad, post Nicea. They stamped out all dissent from the required beleifs, ushering in the Dark Ages, and thus gaining the absolute power which enabled them to carry out all the subsequent atrocities.
:fi_lone_ranger:

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Armenian genocide by Turkey

French law to make it a crime to deny this.  http://news.bbc.co.u...res/6045742.stm

(This hits close to home for me)

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
The Dark Ages. Imagine where humanity would be now if the cathartic church hadn't stifled scientific inquiry and uncomfortable questions about the nature of the universe for hundreds of years. The anti-intellectualism and fear instilled by corrupt church authorities to rule over the populace paved the way for the Crusades, the Inquisition and other such horrific nonsense. Hell, it still continues to this day, doesn't it?

"Condoms can't prevent AIDS, you evil sinners!!! Abstain, for contraception makes the baby Jeebus cry!!!"

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest

"Condoms can't prevent AIDS, you evil sinners!!! Abstain, for contraception makes the baby Jeebus cry!!!"

Speaking of condoms, some AIDS prevention organization dropped off a whole sack full of condoms at my barbershop. They asked me to post a very nice little notice on my bulletin board that says.

"Cover your stump, before you hump, live a full life, don't be a chump!"  "Use protection, available here for free!"

I posted it and thought it was a great idea! I put them in a candy dish high enough where little people can't get them.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,618 posts

Speaking of condoms, some AIDS prevention organization dropped off a whole sack full of condoms at my barbershop. ... I put them in a candy dish high enough where little people can't get them.

That's great!  Condoms are useful for many reasons. They offer some protection against some other diseases besides AIDS, and their usefulness as a contraceptive is well known outside the realm Fundamentalist/Catholic denial of reality.

I'm delighted that you did this, great move!

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Condoms are useful for many reasons. They offer some protection against some other diseases besides AIDS, and their usefulness as a contraceptive is well known outside the realm Fundamentalist/Catholic denial of reality.

Ah yes...the Fundy/Catholic/Rethuglican denial of reality.  You know... in light of the recent Foleyan revelations about some (I'm hearing there could be several pols 'outed' by the time the smoke clears) of our most cherished political and religious Guardians of the Realm, I wonder if condoms were involved.  I mean... if you are going to be a hypocrite and pick up young boys while writing anti-gay legislation, why not go all the way and use the evil, evil condoms while doing it, no?  One can never be too careful when making a total mockery of one's entire political platform, now, can one?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,618 posts

Ah yes...the Fundy/Catholic/Rethuglican denial of reality.  You know... in light of the recent Foleyan revelations about some (I'm hearing there could be several pols 'outed' by the time the smoke clears) of our most cherished political and religious Guardians of the Realm, I wonder if condoms were involved.  I mean... if you are going to be a hypocrite and pick up young boys while writing anti-gay legislation, why not go all the way and use the evil, evil condoms while doing it, no?  One can never be too careful when making a total mockery of one's entire political platform, now, can one?

There is just so much crow for the Repugnicans to eat! And they keep setting themselves up for more every time they open their spiteful, lying mouths. The first half of November is going to like the dawn of a new age in this country. We could end up with a nearly sane Congress that is not completely obsessed with self-righteous and hypocritical breast beating about how fuqing pious they are. Well, how pious they claim to be.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
I'd have to go with the Holocaust, or the bible sanctioned institution of North American slavery.  Many fundamentalists don't even consider them to be Christian atrocities, predictably enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users