Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I'm baaaack....

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
.... did you notice I was missing? :-) :roll:

My beloved Judy (the PC) died and I had to get a new motherboard.

All fixed now, and going better than ever!

I'm not sure I can be bothered to read all the threads I've missed.... are there any threads anyone reckons need some input from your friendly neighbourhood token Christian™? :-)

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
I noticed we hadn't heard from you in awhile Jinny. Welcome back! Glad to here your Motherboard is doing better. :snork_lach:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

... are there any threads anyone reckons need some input from your friendly neighbourhood token Christian™? :-)

There have been a lot of threads lately that mention Richard Dawkins, I suggest you do a search for his name, I recall you were involved in some discussions about him.

I'm glad to see you back Jinny.

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
Yeah, once, when my mothership broke down, we had to go to Alpha Centauri for repairs and it was such a huge hass- Oh, wait. Motherboards. heh.

I'll just quietly slip out the back door now. [smilie=whistle.gif]

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
May the force be with you . . . oh . . wait? You are! Well Hell that won't work! :snork_lach:

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Hi Jinny! I'm still curious to know what a squinny is...

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

.... did you notice I was missing? :-) :roll:

All fixed now, and going better than ever!

I'm not sure I can be bothered to read all the threads I've missed.... are there any threads anyone reckons need some input from your friendly neighbourhood token Christian™? :-)

I noticed you were missing. And...well all my posts are important. Posted ImagePosted Image

Abandoned_Mind

Abandoned_Mind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I noticed you were missing, and I was checking your profile for your latest post too.

You have a new motherboard right, that is good.  Did you do any other upgrades?  Memory or fire-wire or something?

Be as technical as possible.  Please

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

How about "all of the above"? :rebel_cool:

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
My PC has died again. :( RIght now at my mum's. IT's a sorry state of affairs when my MUM has better internet capability than me... *sob* My tech support friend is in Yankland right now so maybe you chaps can help instead...

I'm confused as getting a new mobo seemed to have solved the problem, yet within two days it has died again. When I turn it on, there's nothing. A momentary flash of hard drive activity and then nothing, nada, just a blank screen and silence.

Sometimes I get a "three beeps" message from the mobo, which apparently means a memory problem. I have two memory sticks, I've tried it with one or the other in either memory slot and it doesn't make a difference. If my memory was faulty would a new mobo have temporarily fixed the problem? I don't see how it would have.

I've taken out the graphics card (an old Radeon 9600) and tried running it with the onboard graphics instead, nothing.

This only leaves the processor, which I probably can't replace now (it's an AMD Athlon XP 2600+). I don't want to fork out for a new processor (and necessarily a new mobo for the more advanced processor I'd have to get) only to discover that isn't a problem...

Is it likely to be the memory? I don't see how it can be the memory if the problem was temporarily fixed by a new mobo... I suspect the my new mobo to be faulty. But then it is the same problem I was having with the OLD mobo so it probably IS the memory. Aiii! I do't want to have to buy new memory if it isn't at fault after all...

Any suggestions (or offers of old computers, lol) would be gratefully accepted....

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
Poor Jinny!

I suggest you cut your losses right now, abandon this computer, and get a new one. I know that will be expensive, but you don't want to be throwing good money after bad, as they say.

It is not terribly uncommon for new bits of electronics to fail within 2 weeks of first going into service if anti-static measures were not observed while they were being handled. Memory is especially subject to static damage. If you have not been wearing a ground strap or taking other anti-static precautions while handling your RAM and mobo it is possible that you now have multiple problems.

Another possibility is a marginal power supply, I've seen lots of bizarre sets of symptoms caused by power supplies.

If you can afford to buy a Mac mini, you can use your existing CRT and virtually any USB keyboard with it. I know that Macs cost more, but they come with lots of software pre-installed.

If money is very tight and you feel that you need to stay in the PC realm, I suggest a Dell. Consider buying a memory upgrade too. More memory is the single best improvement you can make in most cases, and modern operating systems eat memory like potato chips, er, crisps to you.

A brand new installation of any operating system is always much faster than a 3 year old version of the same OS. Even if you buy the very cheapest Dell on offer, you'll still prolly see a huge improvement.  But really do upgrade the RAM, the base memory Dell offers on many of their PC configurations is woefully inadequate. You want at least a gigabyte these days.

Good luck!
Steve

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Poor Jinny!

I suggest you cut your losses right now, abandon this computer, and get a new one. I know that will be expensive, but you don't want to be throwing good money after bad, as they say.

It is not terribly uncommon for new bits of electronics to fail within 2 weeks of first going into service if anti-static measures were not observed while they were being handled. Memory is especially subject to static damage. If you have not been wearing a ground strap or taking other anti-static precautions while handling your RAM and mobo it is possible that you now have multiple problems.

Another possibility is a marginal power supply, I've seen lots of bizarre sets of symptoms caused by power supplies.

If you can afford to buy a Mac mini, you can use your existing CRT and virtually any USB keyboard with it. I know that Macs cost more, but they come with lots of software pre-installed.

If money is very tight and you feel that you need to stay in the PC realm, I suggest a Dell. Consider buying a memory upgrade too. More memory is the single best improvement you can make in most cases, and modern operating systems eat memory like potato chips, er, crisps to you.

A brand new installation of any operating system is always much faster than a 3 year old version of the same OS. Even if you buy the very cheapest Dell on offer, you'll still prolly see a huge improvement.  But really do upgrade the RAM, the base memory Dell offers on many of their PC configurations is woefully inadequate. You want at least a gigabyte these days.

Good luck!
Steve

I'm going to try and get a new PC on credit from ebuyer... it's unlikely to work...  but I'm really FUCKED without my PC.

Today I tried it with memory from another PC, which did not fix the problem.

I'm hoping it's a faulty motherboard.

Static, hopefully, isn't the problem... I'm usually careful remembering to de-static myself before I touch anything.

When I was replacing the memory one of the clips fell off. I'm hoping this is a sign of shoddy motherboardness... :roll:

*sob*

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
http://www.ebuyer.co...duct_uid=116052

This is the one I'm thinking of getting...

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
I looked at the specs on that computer and it looks great! If you don't like the Windows Media Center operating system you can always download a free copy of ubuntu linux and try setting it up as a dual boot system.

The AMD64 series processors are fantastic, 1gb of RAM is plenty, and the hard drive looks large enough too.

Good luck!

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
If you decide to stick to Windows XP I would see if they would swap out the Media center version for the Pro version. The media center version is a bit buggy according to my son in law who helped develop the xp software. Just a thought.

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
I've never tried Media Centre so I'm quite curious. If I don't like it I have xp pro here I can put on it. (I don't do paying for microsoft products, sorry bill).

I'm going to be trying to get it on Friday-- got to open a bank account first... I don't know if it will work. Otherwise I'm going to be finding a freind who trusts me enough to get it on credit for me...  can save up the cost of the pc before the end of the no payment period no worries.

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
Remember me? :-)

I will actually be back next week... I'm FINALLY getting a new PC.

And it's pretty good, for the price! I ended up spending

Tyger Tamer

Tyger Tamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationOutside of Society
Horray!

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Glad to have you back Jinny, I've missed ya! :snork_lach:

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Hi Jinny,
That's great about your new computer.
I was gone for about a month and had a lot to read too. I finally gave up and just marked everything read  :snork_lach: :snork_lach: :snork_lach:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users