Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I believe in the importance of science

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,827 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
I believe in the versatility and importance of the scientific method because I see how effective it is every day of my life. This forum and the computers we use to access it would not exist if it were not for science.

Science exists, and it is of great value. Because science seeks out truth and verifiable facts it often conflicts with this or that religion.

Hypercube

Hypercube

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's because science is only concerned with finding the truth, and religion is preoccupied with upholding its lies. Religion has pissed on science whenever it conflicted with its interests, twisting and distorting the facts along the way. Religion is not something worthy of respect, as followers of it often demand, but should be eradicated. Only ignorance, grief and death can come from such a rigid concept.

I hope that one day religion will be no more than a faint echo in the dark, although I don't think I'll live to see that day.

Until then, I'll just make fun of it here. :twisted:

Dax

Dax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Most importantly... science corrects itself. You are allowed, even encouraged, to disprove scientific theories in the quest for seeking knowledge. It's based upon evidence, not dogmas.

Sandy

Sandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationN.W. Phoenix
It is my dream to remove the science-fearing group of religious men and women running our government. I want all the medical science possible to be done to heal or prevent the diseases that are afflicting far too many people.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
I have always loved science although I am as about as far removed from a scientist as a person can get. I have a telescope a microscope and lots of books, fossils, and rocks but I mostly look at it as entertainment. I have loved dinos ever since I can remember and have several fossilized dino bone fragments in my collection including a beautiful piece of jurrasic amber with a bee and several ants in it. I bought it at a rock shop years before the movie came out for 8$ now itls value is around 300$ (another opportunity wasted)

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

a beautiful piece of jurrasic amber with a bee and several ants in it.

Sorry, WC, but if your amber contains an ant or bee, then it couldn't have come from the jurassic, as ants didn't split from wasps until the cretaceous, about 80 million year ago, and bees didn't come along until the eocene, about 40 million years ago.

:smt102

Dax

Dax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Don't you mean 6,000 years ago?

Get it right, will ya! [smilie=spank.gif]

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
oops! I was thinking about the movie and trying to type at the same time. erase erase. I have a tiny piece of jurassic amber (no bugs) AND a piece of (I can't remember what they call the time of the wooly mammoths and ibis in Washington state?) Anyway, two entirely different times. The bug amber was pretty rare as it was found in this state in a petrified forest. The Jurassic piece is tiny and I was going to have it carved but couldn't find a jeweler with any balls.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
:evil: Something didn't sound right on my last post so I went and drug out my collection. The bug amber IS the one labled jurrasic after all. The "bee" in it looks more like a tiny wasp with long tapered clear wings and the "ants" are so tiny they would sit easily on the head of a pin, if they are "ants" at all. I don't know enuf about bugology to know what I am looking at for sure. I may have been ripped off as the rock shop where I got it is gone now. I wonder how I could get it dated. The other tiny piece is all cloudy and nasty looking.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Some of a beech!! I got out the old microscope and they are ants! Does that mean I got ripped off? Oh well live and learn. It's still a really nice piece. (stupid rock shop! I'm glad they went broke!) :evil:

Sandy

Sandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationN.W. Phoenix
Amber is something that develops all the time. The stuff from the Baltic region is used for jewelry as it hardens quickly so it can be carved. You should be able to discover ancient as well as current bugs in Amber. I used to sell the jewelry and went to the internet for some information to stick in with my stuff. The people loved to read about what they had bought. In Russia the Tsar had a whole room carved in amber panels. During WW2 it disappeared but they duplicated the room in another palace and it exists today.

Smoke and some chemicals will darken it and in fact just exposing it to the air darkens the color. They often chop it up and whip it into a pale color and make beads out of it. It is simply the sap from the trees.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Hey Sandy I see you live in Sun City. Been that way many times. We visit Arizona quite a bit. Next time we come down we'll have to get together for a coffee!

Sandy

Sandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationN.W. Phoenix
By all means, give me a call! Would love to have coffee with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users