Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Snake Cult Woman Dies from Snake Bite

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
LONDON, Ky. - A woman who was bitten by a snake at a church that neighbors say practices serpent handling died of her wounds hours later, a newspaper reported.

Linda Long, 48, was bitten Sunday at East London Holiness Church, where neighbors said the reptiles are handled as part of religious services, The Lexington Herald-Leader reported Tuesday.

Long died at University of Kentucky Medical Center about four hours after being bitten, authorities told the newspaper.

"She said she was bitten by a snake at her church," said Lt. Ed Sizemore of the Laurel County Sheriff's Office.

Handling reptiles as part of religious services is illegal in Kentucky. Snake handling is a misdemeanor and punishable by a $50 to $100 fine.

Police said they had not received any reports of snake handling at the church.

Snake handling is based on a passage in the Bible that says a sign of a true believer is the power to "take up serpents" without being harmed.

Church officials could not be reached for comment.
----------------
Since this woman was 48 years old, it is not clear whether she became eligible for a Darwin award. It does seem that she must have lacked faith. Maybe she was secretly dating a lesbian evangelist preacher.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Well, obviously she wasn't a TRUE BELIEVER  [smilie=trademark.gif] !

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier

Well, obviously she wasn't a TRUE BELIEVER  [smilie=trademark.gif] !

Obviously, she isn't the reincarnation of Steve Irwin (RIP) either.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Hmm...now that you've pointed that out...you may be right!

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Scratch another one off the bottom of the gene pool. I wonder what they are going to do with her trailer and NASCAR plate collection?

(I am sorry I am such a heartless bastard, but I am a true believer in natural selection. Anybody so fucking stupid to believe in this shit deserves to be bitten.)

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts
I hope that the surviving religious-afflicted nutjobs did not harm the poor snake. It is not the snake's fault that this woman slipped up and accidentally suffered a glimmer of thought that conflicted with her faith.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Handling reptiles as part of religious services is illegal in Kentucky.

But - but - doesn't that take away their freedom of religion? They should be allowed to handle snakes any time their Gawd-a demands it! And they should be encouraged to drink poison often, in order to prove to Gawd-a (who can read their every thought) that their faith is bigger than a mustard seed!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts
I prefer death sentence for witchcraft, it's a beauty.  It makes me feel all cozy and warm inside, so it must be true!

A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.
--Leviticus 20: 27

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts

In Luke 19:27, Jesus said, "Slay those who do not worship me as their king",

Does this mean you think I should be slayed because I don't worship Jesus? :Happy:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts

Who do you think he was talking about?

Assuming of course that someone cares...

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts
You did assume someone cares!

Bzzzt, error

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts
You have proven nothing.  I doubt if you would recognize proof if it bit you in the ass.

Your claim that atheists cherry pick the bible is as laughable as any idiotic Christian drool I have ever seen.  I reject the entire stupid fucking Bible, every fucking word on every fucking page.  That is far from cherry picking!

When I do refer to that malicious rag it is only to point out the multitude of internal contradictions and paradoxes.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
Sometimes I use verses out of context, deliberately, in order to demonstrate that bible verses can be used to prove practically anything and justify any sort of belief, because this is exactly what believers do.  If mainstream Christianity can cherry-pick to make a point, then so can I.  Under most circumstances though, my stance on the bible is this.  I take nothing in it literally, take everything metaphorically, and view the Judeo-Christian God as a metaphor.  The bible alone does not prove anything except that the bible, more specifically the people who wrote it, had opinions.

DOC, I can't say this on JREF, but I can say it here.  Get a life.  And while you're at it, I suggest you read up on some basic logical fallacies so that you don't end up committing them left and right and making yourself look like an ass.  You can start with the appeal to popularity and the appeal to authority, and work your way up from there.

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts

my stance on the bible is this.  I take nothing in it literally, take everything metaphorically, and view the Judeo-Christian God as a metaphor.  The bible alone does not prove anything except that the bible, more specifically the people who wrote it, had opinions.

SilentKnight, the problem with taking the bible metaphorically is that there is no conclusive/precise interpretation--whose metaphor is accurate?  The bible might as well be a Rorschach inkblot.

Is DOC also a troll at JREF?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts

Is DOC also a troll at JREF?

If indeed it is the same person, he carefully stays within the rules over there.  He is certainly vexing and frustrating to deal with.  The big difference is that over at JREF the moderation is very objective and stringent, while here we have a zero tolerance policy for religious proselytization.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
He is, but over on JREF due to the rules about civility and the fact that about 50 different members will shoot him down the moment he opens his mouth to say something stupid, he's actually been rendered quite harmless.  I actually find him funny at times, and poking fun at him can be a great source of entertainment.  There's also the fact that DOC isn't the worst troll, as he hasn't gone so far to advocate genocide and execution the way some others have, such as Radrook, edge, Sunni Man, and a newbie named Relic, to name a few.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts
Oh I agree about DOC not being the worst.  At times he seems pleasant.  And yes, there are plenty of folks on JREF who are willing to point out errors in messages that are posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users