Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Darwin on trial - by students

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Testing Darwin's Teachers

[quote]Two decades of political and legal maneuvering on evolution has spilled over into public schools, and biology teachers are struggling to respond. Loyal to the accounts they've learned in church, students are taking it upon themselves to wedge creationism into the classroom, sometimes with snide comments but also with sophisticated questions

Seti

Seti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
And their parents and preachers - who in any other circumstances would whup their hides for cheeking their teachers - will stand by and cheer them on.
:farao:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,831 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Well of course these fundified kids want to talk about God in biology class, I mean after all, they are not going to school to get an education!

Schools are for reinforcing ancient superstitions and protecting ignorance from interference from nasty stuff like facts and reality.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada
This makes me sick as a student. The only time religion comes up as a subject is in classes where it has meaning to be discussed. Media Studies, Writers Craft, and Philosophy.

Some kids scare me.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I found this at the AAAS site.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
They'd never get away with this if there were Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Zoroastrian, or students of any other religion in the same classroom, because it would quickly be exposed as a position of religious bigotry on the part of the fundamentalist Christians.  Although the fact that such diversity doesn't already exist in these schools says a lot in itself.  Never mind the fact that God has jack shit to do with the science involved, but I'm sure most sane people already realize that.

How about a compromise?  Let's knock Jehovah out with a giant tranquilizer dart, so we can drag him back to the lab and do experiments on him.  Then, and only then, can ID-ers claim that there is any science behind their ridiculous hypothesis.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,831 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

How about a compromise?  Let's knock Jehovah out with a giant tranquilizer dart, so we can drag him back to the lab and do experiments on him.  Then, and only then, can ID-ers claim that there is any science behind their ridiculous hypothesis.

Or how about this compromise, they can teach religion in science class if we can educate kids in evolutionary theory at Sunday School?

Abandoned_Mind

Abandoned_Mind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I'm sure glad I don't have to try to teach the little snots!

If they won't learn, you can't teach.

Tyger Tamer

Tyger Tamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationOutside of Society

Loyal to the accounts they've learned in church, students are taking it upon themselves to wedge creationism into the classroom

I doubt it. I'll bet my afterlife that they are getting encouraged by religious leaders. Students don't just get up and start arguing with their teachers. They will typically refrain from trying to piss off someone who grades their work.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Once in awhile when a student would try to get me going while teaching a class I would gently and quietly take them aside and tell them that to try and argue with me in class was a disruption to the other students irregardless of the subject. I told them that I couldn't allow that to happen as they were there to learn the subject not theology. Never once did a kid ever press the issue or make a scene. Perhaps it was the way I held the grade book in my hand the entire time we talked. :snork_lach:

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
I remember when my awesome high school biology teacher was teaching the evolution unit, the entire time this guy came to class in anti-evolution t-shirts. He must have had  least a dozen of 'em! I thought, "How pathetic, that this kid feels he needs to rail against an abiotic scientific theory in order to make himself feel big."

My teacher, Mr. Hayes, gave an excellent lecture on teaching science in science classes, and religious mythology in Sunday school classes before beginning the unit. He was facing a group of very christian, very resistant kids and telling them that he wasn't going to put up with "Din't come from no monkeys!" nonsense during class. It was around that time that I began questioning my beliefs and fell in love with biology.

A little knowledge is a dangerous, wonderful thing. Too bad these kids will never break out of their bubble worlds and try thinking for a change.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest

Too bad these kids will never break out of their bubble worlds and try thinking for a change.

Don't despair there is hope. Remember I was a theology student one time. Called to do the Lords work until he let me down. Then I realized he didn't because he didn't exist.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'm sure glad I don't have to try to teach the little snots!

If they won't learn, you can't teach.

Yeah, you can lead people to knowledge, but you can't make 'em think. [move] [smilie=dunce.gif] [smilie=smack.gif] :study: [smilie=hello.gif] [smilie=poke.gif][/move]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users