Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NASA Considering Human trip to Asteroid

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
NASA is considering sending a manned vehicle to a near Earth asteroid to obtain samples for scientific analysis, test and verify human abilities to deal with asteroids, and possibly lay the groundwork for any future Bruce Willis-style requirement to defend Earth from a killer asteroid threat.

There is general agreement in the scientific community that some past episodes of mass extinction on this lovely blue planet have been caused by impacts of large meteors.

Read about this on Space.com.

Would exploring the heavens like this make the Baby Jesus cry?

What do you think of spending tax dollars on a trip to an asteroid?

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
I think the exploration of space is very important however this sounds like a , "Let's see if we can do it." program. They already know the technology is there so why do it just to prove it? I'd like to see more studies done on Mars since there is/was the possibility that life did/does exist there. The shuttle program is getting pretty old too and it would be nice to see a replacement program with updated technology.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

...and possibly lay the groundwork for any future Bruce Willis-style requirement to defend Earth from a killer asteroid threat.

Simple.  By the time we're done strip-mining all the near earth asteroids, they'll be the size of pebbles. :rebel_cool:

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I heard this morning - again - that an asteroid might obliterate the Earth in 2029. At least they did say that NASA thought it would be a near miss. I seriously doubt I'll be around by then, so I guess I'll never know one way or the other. Oh well...

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
I use to have a great poster of a little scruffy cartoon rat flipping off a huge eagle that was about to sink his talons into the rodent. The caption said one word, "Defiance" That's kind of the way I feel about any asteroid hitting earth.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

I use to have a great poster of a little scruffy cartoon rat flipping off a huge eagle that was about to sink his talons into the rodent. The caption said one word, "Defiance" That's kind of the way I feel about any asteroid hitting earth.

That's all well and good for you and I, we won't be around in 2029, well, at least I suspect I won't.

But what about our grandchildren, and your puppies grandpups?

I think humans, as the only species perverted enought to try to control their environment instead of living in harmony with it, ought to step up to the plate and protect all the flora, fauna and foundlings of this planet from the threat of undocumented alien asteroids coming in to this planet and destroying our communities.

I say nuke 'em to hell! Well, if there was a hell. Nuke 'em to /dev/null.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
All my pups are fixed ergo no puppys. As for the grandkids I don't think it is necessary to spend a gazillion dollars to figure out how to send a guy to some flying rock to set off a bomb. Technology is very well along that could send an unmanned vehicle to this asteroid that could do anything some astronaut could do. If they want to spend that kinda $$$ figure out how to harness the damn rock and steer it towards the middle east. Might as well kill a few million birds with one stone, so to speak. :snork_lach:

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I think steering it is a good idea, but they should steer it into orbit around Earth, to be mined or used as a space station. Or maybe I've been reading too much sci-fi (although I think the phrase "too much sci-fi" is an oxymoron!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users