Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Finally, a bit of honesty from a Baptist minister!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I came across an article at No God blog, posted by Zac, and I thought y'all might find it refreshing:

When religion loses its credibility

as Zac says, he indeed hits several nails squarely on the head!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Wow!  I mean WOW! I mean wowie zowie.

To think that a brilliantly well written and well argued editorial like that actually came from a Baptist minister, it's almost beyond belief.

Thanks for the link.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest

Leviticus is filled with laws imposing the death penalty for everything from eating catfish

Now wait a god damn minute! I already gave up munching on crustaceons, now I have to give up catfish too? Fuq em! Levi has just gone too far. Next thing you know we'll be giving up mixed fibers!

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I'm looking forward to reading his upcoming book, 10 Things Your Minister Wants to Tell You (But Can't Because He Needs the Job.

I suspect that the vast majority of ministers are only in it for the salary, and some even make millions. There all a pack of liars - they know they're lying, but they couldn't care less about it, as long as they get paid. Have I mentioned today how much I hate those bastards?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
Sure and begorra, he's an Unbeliever after me own heart!  I love it when you type like that.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I'm reminded of this quote, from Beausobre (theologian):

Christians not only do not say what they think, but they do say the direct contrary of what they think. Philosophers in their cabinets; out of them they are content with fables, though they well know they are fables. Nay, more: they deliver honest men to the executioner, for having uttered what they themselves know to be true. How many atheists and pagans have burned holy men under the pretext of heresy? Every day do hypocrites consecrate, and make people adore the host, though as well convinced as I am, that it is nothing but a bit of bread.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
How much would human society suffer if every single theologian suddenly disappeared overnight?

Seti

Seti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

How much would human society suffer if every single theologian suddenly disappeared overnight?

Ummm... Could I have a little time to work that one out? I tried looking up infinitesimal in the dictionary, but it said "Infinitely or immeasurable small," and I'm sure it must be a lot less than that.
:farao:

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

I know you're being facetious, but let's be honest, you'd lose the good with the bad in that hypothetical situation.  Nevermind that the liberal theologians would be lost along with the conservative / extremist ones.  Besides, we'd still have other types of people with hardcore militant views, even without religion to catalyze them.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
OK, but what exactly is the contribution to society that we gain from good theologians.

Certainly they do not increase the corn harvest, or reduce the national debt.

I have nothing against theologians, I'm sure they are almost all highly civilized, well educated, pleasant people. My point is that their profession is of no benefit to mankind.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
For one thing, just think of how effectively one can counter the arguments of mainstream religion after having actually read and studied the scripture.  The people who get carried away with religion may be more willing to listen to theologians than to us, and much of what these liberal theologians come up with has found its way into the basis of many arguments we use.  When you have a system of belief controlling the behavior of so many people, it helps if there are some 'authorities' on the subject who actually know their stuff.  Much of how your average fundy evangelical uses the holey bible has nothing to do with what it was originally intended for, as you well know.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
OK, it seems as though your point is that good theologians contribute by reducing the overall level of evil in the collective body of religiously afflicted persons.

I suppose that is a good point.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
Exactly my point.

For example, they would likely agree that:
* The bible was never meant to be a science textbook.
* The bible was never meant to be a history textbook.
* The bible has undergone many changes over the years, and not everything made the final cut.
* The bible should never be taken literally, or at face value.
* Many of the rules and laws in the bible are antiquated, and do not apply to modern society.

Most importantly of all, anyone who knows the bible well would be aware of the fact that the face of God is constantly changing.  As people's attitudes and beliefs evolve over time, so do the god or gods they follow.  If it takes liberal theologians to knock some sense into the religious majority, I'd be glad to cheer them on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users