Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

sex, crime and religion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Prison figures show a link between sex crime and religion

Well, so much for the moral superiority of religious people.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
An interesting study from he YouKay. At one point it says

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
According to this article, Christians are more likely to approve of torture than are secularists:

Secular Americans more moral than Christian Americans

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
"I was just doing what God told me to do."

Which reminds me, I'm currently reading the book Under the Banner of Heaven about the Fundamentalist Church of Mormon and their history of sex abuse.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

"I was just doing what God told me to do."

There's a woman in California who threw her three young children off the Golden Gate Bridge because, she says, God told her to send them to Heaven. I tried to google the story, but couldn't find it, for some reason. All I could get was stuff about Andrea Yates.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts

There's a woman in California who threw her three young children off the Golden Gate Bridge because, she says, God told her to send them to Heaven. I tried to google the story, but couldn't find it, for some reason. All I could get was stuff about Andrea Yates.

You seem to have one detail wrong, it was Fisherman's Wharf where this devout Christian drowned her children as a sacrifice on specific instructions from doG. See CNN.

When people think that doG is telling them what to do they should seek a psychiatrist instead of writing a Holy Book or invading a Middle East country. This woman is clearly schizophrenic, in that she has an extreme case of religion. Most people afflicted with religious beliefs don't actually kill people themselves, they just vote against civil rights for queers.

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
Kristians are also more likely to use corporal punishment to discipline their kids (and more likely to get too carried away with it as well) and support the death penalty based on that verse about "eye for an eye." Does it surprise anyone that they would support torture?

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
I am all for torture if the situation should call for it. To gain information or simply to inflict pain on someone then No, not acceptable. But, to inflict as much pain as is possible on a baby raper I think is a noble, almost spiritual situation. I would have no problem being the inflicter on such an occasion.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Kristians are also more likely to use corporal punishment to discipline their kids (and more likely to get too carried away with it as well) and support the death penalty based on that verse about "eye for an eye." Does it surprise anyone that they would support torture?

Not when you take into account what the Bible says about it:

http://skepticsannot...ut/torture.html

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts
I think this part appears verbatim in the Republican National Convention's Contract with Guantanamo:

At the end of the world, God will torture people until they want to die. But he will not let them die so that he can continue to torture them.
And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man. And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them. Revelation 9:5-6

Of course this milder level of treatment is reserved for the 85% of detainees who are completely innocent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users