Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SMF Forum Software Version 1.1 Released

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
For some time we've been running version 1.1 RC3 (meaning Release Candidate 3 for version 1.1) of the Simple Machines Forum software here.

The official release of version 1.1 is now available, and soon I'll be installing it here. At the moment I'm waiting to see which of the themes and mods we are using on this site will also be updated for version 1.1. I consider the Visual Verification feature, currently implemented by way of a Mod, to be of critical importance. Spambots are so far unable to penetrate this visual verification system, and I definitely want to limit this site to genuine biological carbon-based humans only.

I also think the default theme installed here, Dilber MC, is very important. It is not yet available for the released version of SMF 1.1.

I'm also checking periodically to see if the Youtube mod requested by Flat Earth has been updated for 1.1, it has not yet.

The Techhead theme that is currently used by many members is likely to be a casualty of this upgrade. It is not well supported, and the version 1.1 RC3 instance of it that we are using now has a few annoying bugs. The Slick Pro Graphite theme has been updated, so it should be still here after the upgrade. As part of the upgrade I'll be assigning all users to the default theme, this is necessary when removing and reinstalling themes. Once the upgrade is done you'll all be able to pick a new theme for yourself, if desired.

Your suggestions for themes we should add are more than welcome, if you'd like to browse the available themes for SMF and suggest one, please do. Just be sure that the description states that it is available for version 1.1 without any RC designation. It's OK if a theme is also available for 1.1 RC2 or 1.1 RC3 as long as it is listed as being available for 1.1 without any RC designation as well.

SMF is already light years ahead of phpBB in my opinion. No doubt this is why it is here  :Wink:  SMF is well supported and has some built in protections against attacks that make it inherently more secure than phpBB. It also has a much richer set of features.

I'll keep everyone posted on the update. Once it is time for it there should be less than 2 hours of downtime.

Steve

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts
All of the themes we are using here are now available for the released version 1.1 of SMF, and I might have planned to do the upgrade today, but my lovely husband is having surgery today on his recently smashed up arm.

So later this week, maybe Wed morning, the forum will be offline for a little while while I upgrade the software, replace the themes, and do other stuff.

The Youtube mod is not available for 1.1 yet, I'll keep watching that.

Steve

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts
Ho Ho Ho, Merry Seasonal Holidays!

I've upgraded the forum software, as previously mentioned, and I have located and installed a streaming audio/video Mod intended to let you easily insert Youtube and Google video clips, as well as Quicktime movies and Real audio clips.

You'll see some new icons each time you start a New Topic or use Reply:
Posted Image for Real Audio clips
Posted Image for Quicktime movies
Posted Image for Google videos
Posted Image for YouTube videos

It seems as if you should be able to just click the appropriate icon, then insert the identifier for a YouTube video. This is the last part of the URL,
for example if the URL is:

Then you could click the Youtube icon and insert just the FAW1sKjJYdo

Enjoy.

PS: Please let me know if you have any problems at all using the site as a result of these upgrades.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Enjoy.

Posted Image

This is great!!  No problem here.  You have surely made this forum about my only place to stop and shop.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
How about a Spoiler code so graphics and long articles don't take up large spaces?  I'm pretty sure SMF has one.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts
A Spoiler code?

Something like this?

Spoiler

just type the word spoiler inside square brackets like
[spoiler]
and close it with
[/spoiler]

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
right...but it says "don't have permission to post spoiler".

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts

right...but it says "don't have permission to post spoiler".

Ooops, it seems that the Mod I added creates some new user permissions that defaulted to off.

I modified user permissions, all verified users should be able to see and create spoiler tags now, sorry for the inconvenience.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
[spoiler=Point at me!]That's the stuff!  Thanks Steve!!![/spoiler]

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
What is a spoiler tag? :rebel_huh: :rebel_huh:
Is it something I have to know?

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
A spoiler tag lets you  "hide" content until such time as you click or hover over the "hidden content" notice.  It is good for NSFW content and large graphics that might otherwise clog up the thread.  Look at my post right above.  See the notice Spoiler:  Point at me!?  Put your cursor on it and it reveals the text/picture/quote underneath.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
Here's something interesting.  I can only see the spoiler if I'm logged in.  If I am logged out, all I see is a blank post where the spoiler should be.  Any ideas why that is?  Other places where I use them I can see them whether I'm logged in or not.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts

Here's something interesting.  I can only see the spoiler if I'm logged in.  If I am logged out, all I see is a blank post where the spoiler should be.  Any ideas why that is?  Other places where I use them I can see them whether I'm logged in or not.

Man, you are a good tester!  Thanks for letting me know that guests can EDITED:[not see] spoilers.  I believe I have corrected that issue.  Users that are not logged in are treated as Guests, and I had not enabled the feature for that group.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts

What is a spoiler tag? :rebel_huh: :rebel_huh:
Is it something I have to know?

After closer examination I found that a new graphic was included in the spoiler mod, and I have propagated copies of it to the various installed themes. Look for this new icon when you are posting a message Posted Image.

It inserts the spoiler code into your message. Just put what you don't want to appear by default inside the spoiler tag.

It could be used for the punchline of a joke....

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

It could be used for the punchline of a joke....

TESTING TESTING TESTING :Tounge:

One day the zoo-keeper noticed that the orangutan was reading two books - the Bible and Darwin's Origin of Species.

Surprised, he asked the ape, "Why are you reading both those books?"

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users