Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Coming out of the atheist closet

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Anyone else seen this? It's pretty interesting. Would you vote for bill Gates for president? I'd consider it, but I'd have to do a good bit more research on him first.

Atheists: The New Gays

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
Haha, it didn't take long for the free will fallacy to show up.

Every time some religious nut tries to use free will to get God off the hook, I can't help but laugh.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
I might consider voting for Gates, I'm already acclimated to selecting the lesser of two evils.

I'd rather vote for Steve Jobs, but that's my personal bias.

But as far as coming out of the closet as an atheist is concerned, I find myself in a position to compare how difficult it was to come out as a gay man to how difficult it was to reveal my atheism. There is just no comparison at all, as I see it.

Coming out as an atheist was not even 5% as difficult as coming out as a gay man.

Your mileage may vary, tests conducted on a closed course, do not try this at home, professionally trained Homosexuals were used to compose this message.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Haha, it didn't take long for the free will fallacy to show up.

Every time some religious nut tries to use free will to get God off the hook, I can't help but laugh.

Yeah, they act as though the "free will" theodicy (or any of the other theodicies, for that matter) actually makes some sense! lol

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

professionally trained Homosexuals were used to compose this message.

Well, I sure hope none of them were injured during the typing of that message!  :Wink:

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

professionally trained Homosexuals were used to compose this message.

Well, I sure hope none of them were injured during the typing of that message!  :Wink:

DAMN!!! That was going to be my line.  I was going to say "No homosexuals were harmed during the filming of this episode!"

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
I'm glad we can work in some humor here now and then. We talk about such serious stuff.

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
After reading that report a while back about how most Americans view us as an enemy and a threat, I've found that I'm much more reticent about expressing my atheist views to people unless the topic comes up in friendly conversation. But I wonder how many people secretly fear me and think less of me after I disclose my freedom from jeebus-land-ness. And now after hearing about how most Americans desire to treat their fellow Muslim citizens (brand them, put them in camps, burn them, kill them), I become genuinely afraid that atheists will be the next Muslims in this country.

People are afraid that we're out to actively and forcefully destroy their cherished delusions, and history tells us how strongly and viciously the religious try to hold on to their way of life in the face of perceived threats. With all due respect to Steve and all gays who have risked or suffered persecution in "coming out," I wonder if soon it will be as dangerous to declare one's atheism as it currently is to be known as gay.

I know I probably will never overtly tell my family that I'm never setting foot in a church or cracking a bible again. The thought alone terrifies me.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts

...after hearing about how most Americans desire to treat their fellow Muslim citizens (brand them, put them in camps, burn them, kill them), I become genuinely afraid that atheists will be the next Muslims in this country.

Don't confuse most Americans with most Americans who listen to right wing talk radio stations.

There are still a clear majority of good and decent people in this country, they just do a sub par job sometimes of filtering out the propaganda. For example, some people who are decent and kind to strangers actually watch the Fox News Network. They don't know that their minds are being polluted with hate mongering and Repugnican/Jeebus alliance lies.

The solution is education, and you are doing the right thing by getting one.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
I think I agree with something Prof. said in another topic.  To come out as an atheist probably doesn't even begin to compare with coming out as a homosexual, as I would imagine.  The fear among the religious of atheists stems from misunderstanding or ignorance, whereas the fear of gays stems from hatred.

It didn't bother my immediate family one bit that I'm an atheist, because they pretty much already knew.  My father's stance might best be described as deist, in that he believes that there is something more out there than we know about, yet it's likely not a god or object of worship.  My mother's stance might best be described as agnostic, in that she doesn't exactly care one way or another, and tries to stay away from religiosity and religious topics.  In fact, she was the one who taught me that it's okay if people want to believe whatever they want, just so long as they, "Shove it up their own ass."  She doesn't like fundamentalist Mormons though, due to their history of abusing women, and the copy of "Under the Banner of Heaven" I'm reading was borrowed from her.  Also, she and most of her friends have read "The DaVinci Code", and it's a book I've heard her recommend.  My parents know I have an interest in world religions and mythology, and they tend to take a common sense approach to such issues.

When I'm asked what my religion is, I simply say I have none, or that I'm unaffiliated with any organized religion.  Or as my great uncle puts it, "I don't believe in any of those."

Granted there are members of my family who are fundamentalist theist.  My uncle's family on my mother's side (her brother) is fundamentalist Catholic.  The rest of her family down south is fundamentalist Protestant.  My grandfather on my father's side was Episcopalian, and my father's sister (who is paranoid schizophrenic) is an outright fanatic who also holds many New Age bullshit beliefs.

The thing is, there is such a diverse mix of religious beliefs and views where I live in North Jersey, that most people can't just go around humping the bible and discriminating against those who don't have the same beliefs.  As I've mentioned, Jehovah's Witnesses will usually just take a "No thank you" response and walk away without an argument.  The town next to mine has the greatest number of houses of worship out of any city in the entire county, however this is owing to the number of different faiths and denominations that are present.

I can think of one good reason why it may never quite come down to people discriminating against atheists.  It's nearly impossible to single atheists out as nonbelievers, because there are so many other views that have too close a resemblance.  Mess with atheists and you'd also have to mess with secular humanists, agnostics, deists, pantheists, liberal Christians, Reform Jews, Unitarian Universalists, Buddhists, and so on, and so forth.

Besides, if all else fails, I can sling bible quotes and religious factoids better than most. :rebel_cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users