Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

This says it all.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it."

Abraham Lincoln

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
At least there was one good Republican.

Tyger Tamer

Tyger Tamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationOutside of Society
My opinions on the man aside, I really don't understand the quote. Is it a joke?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
I take it to mean that if a man's religion is worth anything it will be reflected not only in how he treats other people, but also in how he treats the creatures some people consider to be lesser than man.

Note that I do not necessarily subscribe to the idea that humans are somehow the favorite children of some Invisible Sky Daddy, or that we are more worthy of life than dogs or cats or moo cows.

I think life itself should be respected, that we should align ourselves with life and try to support and promote it when we can. To the extent that some people may suffer from a religious affliction and yet despite their illness still promote life, I'd say their affliction is not so bad as that of many others.

Still, the only good religion is a dead religion.

Well, that was me ranting, I suppose.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
I see it as meaning that a religion should benefit all life. Not just the two legged people but the four legged people as well. If a mans beliefs aren't benefitting all of "Gods" creations then obviously it is lacking something.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I don't consider humans to be at all more worthy of life than other animals, except in that humans are capable of reproducing the Earth's biosphere elsewhere so that all its eggs will no longer be in one basket. But non-human animals are still just as deserving of respect and compassion.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Posted Image

Perhaps some more than others.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
That little cutie would be completely invisible in a snowy field!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users