Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Salvation Mountain

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
A little over a year ago a very dear friend of mine was visiting over the Thanksgiving weekend. Whenever he comes to stay he always arrives with some very eclectic plan in mind for an excursion. This time he wanted to drive about 120 miles southeast to a very remote spot in the California desert where an old man has been obsessively/compulsively painting Christian slogans over and over and over again on a hardened sand dune using thousands of gallons of paint.

--wikipedia entry--
Salvation Mountain (location 33

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
Interesting dilemma.  You have quality work that deserves to be shared and bring you reward for your efforts...on the other hand if you profit from images you find morally questionable, is it "blood money".  Plus, if your work affords more exposure to Mr Knight, do you inadvertently cause a new Fatima, with maniacs flocking from all corners?

Speaking only for myself, I would get my work out there to be seen.  If the idea of profiting from mental illness worries you, perhaps you should post those particular images free of charge.  Then you won't have a such a feeling of selling out, and others will still be able to admire your craftsmanship behind the lens.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Well, I wouldn't mind seeing your pics of the place, it sounds interesting. I've never even heard of it, and so I'd like to check it out.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
A photographer sells his photos, not his beliefs. A painter sells his paintings, not his beliefs, a sculpture sells his sculptures, not his beliefs. I have spoken to many war photographers and journalists who were commisioned to photograph and write about war. That does not mean they are war mongers or even in favor of the war. Seperating yourself from your task is crucial. I "have known" many warriors that had to totally remove their "souls" (for lack of a better word) to accomplish their tasks. You want to be a proffesional photographer then you are selling an image not endorsing anything except quality photographs.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
OK, I have uploads running right now from 2 computers, tomorrow I'll publish my Salvation Mountain photos.  As usual, you guys are right.

The White Coyote had the clearest and most compelling answer.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest

The White Coyote had the clearest and most compelling answer.

She is a smart little bitch aint she?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
The Salvation Mountain photos have been published

Posted Image

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
So, "God never fails", huh? Apparently Judges 1:19 doesn't count, not to mention lots of other God-failures I could mention.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

A photographer sells his photos, not his beliefs. A painter sells his paintings, not his beliefs, a sculpture sells his sculptures, not his beliefs. I have spoken to many war photographers and journalists who were commisioned to photograph and write about war. That does not mean they are war mongers or even in favor of the war. Seperating yourself from your task is crucial. I "have known" many warriors that had to totally remove their "souls" (for lack of a better word) to accomplish their tasks. You want to be a proffesional photographer then you are selling an image not endorsing anything except quality photographs.

You beat me to it, Thinker.  A lot of artwork could be said to have religious themes, but what makes or breaks it is the quality of the artwork, not the beliefs of the artist.

However that still doesn't stop a lot of people from thinking that the bible is the greatest book ever written.  As far as mythology goes it's quite sub par, the narrative is flat and amateurish, and if something like it were ever published today, nobody would ever read it.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

...However that still doesn't stop a lot of people from thinking that the bible is the greatest book ever written.  As far as mythology goes it's quite sub par, the narrative is flat and amateurish, and if something like it were ever published today, nobody would ever read it.

Not in its current state of fish-wrap...but can you imagine if Stephen King got his hands on that thing and did a re-write?  Oh the possibilities!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users