Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fundamentalists are the greatest users of terrorism!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Sandy

Sandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationN.W. Phoenix
Without scaring the shit out of people, they would have no power at all. We all can sit here and talk about Islamic Terrorists but folks, they learned their tricks from the Christians in the holy land.

Destroying the infidels started with the Crusades. Islam sent our crusaders running and they will continue to do so for ever. I feel that Bush has never read a history book and has no concept of what he is trying to destroy.

Islam is the fastest growing religion on the planet and America would be very wise to get the hell out of the Middle East and promise to stay out! America should never try for Empire building. We do not have the brains do sell democracy to anyone. We do not elect people of character, just a bunch of backward hillbilly Christians. Islam is out to destroy us and there is not one damn thing we can do about it. We could close our borders but Bush needs the Mexican voters to keep his Republicans in office.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
I agree, Sandy.

Fundamentalism starts with the assumption that anything done in the cause of the Imaginary Bearded Sky Daddy is automatically OK.

This presumption of piety on the part of Fundamentalists drives out reason, and replaces it with blind faith.

If we are going to be going on and on about what a superior species we are, how terribly clever and adaptive, we should at least give up the practice of rejecting reason and evidence in favor of twisted fantasies of guilt and punishment.

We can do better, and a good first step is to reject mythology and start using our intellects.

Sandy

Sandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationN.W. Phoenix
I agree and can only hope we aren't too late to return to totally rational lives. I struck out on my own many years ago and have been unencumbered of all superstitution.

It certainly cleared up a lot of my problems.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest

I agree and can only hope we aren't too late to return to totally rational lives. I struck out on my own many years ago and have been unencumbered of all superstitution.

It certainly cleared up a lot of my problems.

That's an interesting point Sandy. Back a few million years ago I was a believer yet my job required that I do things that were totally against everything I believed in. I was at war with myself constantly and everyday was a cycle of guilt and forgiveness. Over and over it went. Finally when I came to the realization that my opponents weren't shackled with the burden of "sin" and or "morality" that it was just a job and if I could put aside the concept of sin for the hours I worked, life would be so much easier. Slowly the whole thing became clear that sin and morality are both man made and that in certain situations there is simply no room for either if one is to survive.

Sandy

Sandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationN.W. Phoenix
I've never been faced with having to break my own moral codes for any reason. I can't imagine it. But I've never been on a battlefield so I can't imagine that either. I've lived a simple life and dedicated many years to my children and family. Their health and welfare was about as much as I could handle after having to have support them all those years.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts

I've never been faced with having to break my own moral codes for any reason.

I was draft bait during the Vietnam war, and a pacifist, and a deeply closeted homosexual.

I ended up choosing a 5 year prison sentence over dropping napalm on civilian populations (collateral damage) in stone age villages. Just a personal preference.

In the end I scored a surprise dismissal of charges and ended up doing alternative service as a conscientious objector.

Sandy

Sandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationN.W. Phoenix
So you didn't break your own code of ethics. I congratulate you!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts

So you didn't break your own code of ethics. I congratulate you!

I don't know if this will make any sense, but I owe it all to not going to church.

I rejected Catholicism and especially the doG of Abraham as a high school student. So I had already accepted the responsibility to do my own thinking before the subject of Vietnam entered my life.

And I had a strong moral upbringing, thanks to 12 years of Catholic school, which helped me to decide to stand my ground despite the consequences.

In this case I perceived religion and ethics to be opposing forces. After all, communism was a threat to the Church, so there was not a lot of complaining about Vietnamese babies being burnt to death.

In all fairness, there were some Catholic clergy that were very active as leaders in the anti-war movement, but they did not represent the mainstream church.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Sometimes a person has to put aside ethics, morality and even saneness to survive. At least you someday are released from prison whereas you can never escape things that are burned in your mind. A soldier has to do what he has to do. His survival and that of his friends depends on that. I saw an old man shot off a bicycle one time. Just gunned down in the street for no apparent reason. Later I learned the bicycle frame was filled with explosives and the schrapnel from it could have killed a dozen people had he rode any closer. There was no ethics, no morals, no consciense. Do what has to be done.

Sandy

Sandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationN.W. Phoenix
White, you did not give up any ethics, you simply drew on your own.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
You are correct in part. I didn't give up on my ethics. I left them behind, along with morals and fear and every other incumbrence that could ultimately get me killed.

Sandy

Sandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationN.W. Phoenix
But my dear, you survived! That has to be a big part of your survival ethics.

Dax

Dax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
By the way, it's Memmorial day and I would like to salute Thinker and all other veterans. Eventhough most wars after WW2 were not justified, these men still gave part of their minds and often even their lives to fight. It is not the soldiers one has to blame, but the people who start wars to begin with. We should always support the soldiers, but also the protestors. Basically, what I'm trying to say: all of you who either fought in or protested against wars, I salute you for you are all brave men and women!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
I'll second that, Dax.

Sandy

Sandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationN.W. Phoenix
I too agree, Dax. My family has made many sacrifices to the war god. Oh Wow, Donald Trump and Don Imus are touching on this subject at this moment (3:30 am)....People are becoming more aware of the war but all have the servicemen and women in their hearts at this time.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Thank you even though I don't really deserve it. I was only a "soldier" for 180 days. I "worked" for the navy as an "advisor" for many years however and some of that included duties one might perceive as soldierlike. I was actually in the army just long enough to get my veterans classification. I spent my entire "tour of duty" as a soldier in southern California. What I did for the Navy is still classified however I can say I spent time in every shithole in the world and watched many of my friends who were soldiers and sailors die. They are the ones to be honored and I thank you on their behalf.

Sandy

Sandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationN.W. Phoenix
But White Coyote, Southern California can be a very dangerous place! I know it was my home for 50 years!

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
The only dangerous things I saw in California was the bottoms of way too many beer schooners. After that I went to a place called the school of the Americas in Panama. That's when everything got real interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users