Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NJ State Senate Bars Minister After Hate-Mongering Homophobic Invocation

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
[glow=lightyellow,2,300]Pastor Barred From NJ Senate As Legislature Prepares To Vote On Civil Unions[/glow]

(Trenton, New Jersey) A day before the New Jersey legislature votes on a civil unions bill the state Senate has told a pastor he is no longer welcome in the chamber after he delivered a scathing attack on same-sex couples.

The Reverend Vincent Fields made the attack during the invocation that starts the Senate session.

Fields had been invited to give the prayer.  He asked the Senate to rise and then said: "We curse the spirit that would come to bring about same-sex marriage. We ask you to just look over this place today, cause them to be shaken in their very heart in uprightness."

Fields also referred to what many interpreted as the superiority of Christianity over other religions.

Invocations are supposed to be non political and non denominational.

Following the prayer Senate President Richard Cody (D) told Fields he was no longer welcome in the chamber.

"I was stunned," said Garden State Equality chair Steven Goldstein who was in the Senate when the prayer was delivered.

"I felt totally excluded as a gay person and as a Jewish person," Goldstein told 365Gay.com.

The House and Senate are scheduled to vote Thursday afternoon on legislation to create civil unions in New Jersey. The measure is expected to pass with little difficulty and Jon S. Corzine has said he will sign it.

The New Jersey Supreme Court ruled in October that same-sex couples should have access to the same rights and benefits as married couples. Whether to call those rights marriages, civil unions or something else was left up to lawmakers.

Garden State Equality and Lambda Legal, which represented same-sex couples before the high court, have criticized the civil union bill saying it will create two separate classes of couples.

But, Goldstein sees the measure as a transition stage. "We'll have full marriage sooner rather than later," he told 365Gay.com.

Goldstein said he was encouraged that the legislation now has a provision establishing a commission that will investigate how civil unions fall short of marriage and report back to the legislature in six months.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
What they should have done was physically picked up the bastard and thrown his homophobic ass out of the chamber. It's bad enough they need some lame ass prayer to get the motor running but then they bring in some paranoid pastor who somehow thinks same sex couples are going to ruin his gig.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

What they should have done was physically picked up the bastard and thrown his homophobic ass out of the chamber. It's bad enough they need some lame ass prayer to get the motor running but then they bring in some paranoid pastor who somehow thinks same sex couples are going to ruin his gig.

And isn't that what it all boils down to?  After all the preaching and the rending of garments and the gnashing of teeth and the apocalyptic doomsaying...isn't that about what it's all about?  These guys aren't afraid of homosexuals on any moral or biblical level.  They are simply protecting their investment. 

They are afraid that the idea of homosexuality as socially acceptable is one more block slid out from the middle of their holy Jenga puzzle, which already teeters ominously.  They fear that their positions will weaken, and they will soon start to lose the grip on all the perks that go with being men of the cloth. 

Let's face it, most of these guys have more money, sex, drugs and rock-and-roll than David Lee Roth could ever consume.  And as a kicker, they get to tell you how to live your life and have you kiss their ass for doing it.  That's some heady stuff, and great work if you can get it.  Any threat to that will be dealt with.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts
In Canada you can get prosecuted now for verbal gay bashing.  I'd like to see a law in the USA that would require any lame ass fuckhead that wants to claim that same sex couples harm the Sanctity of Marriage to document in writing exactly what the fuck this alleged harm actually is.

In reality it is the Sanctity of Bigotry they actually seek to protect.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
The sanctity of marriage... so what they're saying is that the only reason most people get married is because there's no other choice???  They're saying that a large percentage of people, given the choice between heterosexual and homosexual marriage would run, not walk, to choose the latter???  That legalizing gay marriage would make every third house on every block in every town in every state a gay couple???

Well...if the 'institution' of marriage is so shaky that Timmy's Two Dads can cause a major fissure in its foundation, then it obviously has bigger problems than homosexuality.  Maybe these people who harp on about marriage's sanctity should be more concerned about how to strengthen IT, rather than worry about what else will further expose those weaknesses.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
Yeah, you just can't get away with that kind of crap here in New Jersey. :rebel_cool:

Gays make up 5-6% of the total population.  Compare that to the percentage of marriages that end in divorce, which is roughly 50%.  Given that gays can't get married, we know that all of those divorces are heterosexual couples.  Now who exactly is ruining the institution of marriage?

Tyger Tamer

Tyger Tamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationOutside of Society

Yeah, you just can't get away with that kind of crap here in New Jersey. :rebel_cool:

Gays make up 5-6% of the total population.  Compare that to the percentage of marriages that end in divorce, which is roughly 50%.  Given that gays can't get married, we know that all of those divorces are heterosexual couples.  Now who exactly is ruining the institution of marriage?

And don't forget, Codey got to play governor for a little while thanks to a gay guy, so he was kind of obligated to defend them. And now instead of a gay governor, we have a divorced governor!

My only beef is that this should never have gone to the legislature. The court should have just made a ruling, not order another branch to fix it. No one wants to take the blame anymore. I guarrantee we'll be hearing "The courts made us do it!"

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts
And of course nobody wants to touch the hottest potato of them all by saying that there is nothing wrong with everybody having equal rights.

It should not be a discussion about gay marriage. The discussion should be gender neutral and sexual orientation neutral. Any 2 adults who are not legally obligated otherwise should be free to marry each other if they both want to be married to each other.

If 2 heterosexual men wanted to be married they should be allowed to marry. I don't see why they would want this, but it is not my intention to judge other people's relationships so long as nobody is being harmed.

If I had a neighbor who was beating his or her spouse, I would not care if they were a gay couple or a straight couple, I would want the beating to stop.

And if I had 2 neighbors who wanted to marry each other, and they were adults, and they were both acting of their free will and aware of the obligations involved, I'd want them to have equal rights as compared to any other couple.

It's not about being queer, it's about being fair to everybody. Equal equals equal.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

...If 2 heterosexual men wanted to be married they should be allowed to marry. I don't see why they would want this, but it is not my intention to judge other people's relationships so long as nobody is being harmed...

Interesting comment, one that bears contemplating.  Without hurting my brain thinking of any, suppose there were tangible benefits to marriage, okay - say medical insurance or tax relief - what have you.  Now Oscar's wife kicked him out, and Felix's wife requested that he never return.  In between card games with Murray the cop, if Oscar and Felix both considered themselves done with the dating game and resigned to live out their lives as single men, why should they not be able to enter into a contract of marriage for mutual benefit?

Of course, the conservatives and churchies would be even more against straight marriage than gay marriage.  They would rail against the "homasectializing of Straight Amurca".  See what you fruitcakes done gone and started!!!

Tyger Tamer

Tyger Tamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationOutside of Society
A thought just occured to me. Does this mean that we will have marriages, civil unions, and domestic partnerships? Can I have one of each?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts

See what you fruitcakes done gone and started!!!

Thanks!  At least my efforts to destroy western civilization have not gone completely unnoticed.

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
*sigh* Well, it's great that they passed a civil union act, but I can't help but think this is a manifestation of "seperate but equal," the equivalent of smiling to the faces of gay people, then spitting on the ground after they turn and leave. Civil unions are a step forward, but they still brand same-sex couples as inferior. And don't forget, discrimination against these couples happens all the time; no one feels like they have to regard papers showing your status with your partner as a union.

It's already happening to some

When Heggs, 56, had a heart attack and a stroke, a hospital refused to consult Long. Heggs, who was in intensive care, on a respirator, needed a blood transfusion.

The hospital wanted proof that Heggs and Long were together, Long said.

"They wanted to see our marriage certificate," Long said. "They would never do that to a heterosexual couple."

Long, 47, said that when she showed nurses a highlighted section of New Jersey's domestic-partnership law recognizing unions forged in other states, they didn't know what to make of the documents.

So Heggs' sister in Maryland had to call the hospital and give consent over the phone.

It's good that they recognized that this douchebag minister stepped way over the line. Now let's work on stripping ministers of their legal powers to marry people and say idiotic prayers in sessions of Congress.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts
Here in California we have a Registered Domestic Partners law that gives us fag types nearly all of the same rights as a married couple, including the right to visit our partners in the hospital.

I mention this because my lovely husband needs surgery on his broken arm. Yesterday we were at the orthopedic surgeon's office filling out the reams of I promise not to sue you documents when my lovely husband made his well known sigh of god these people are idiots. So I looked over and it was the well known Marital Status pigeonhole that was troubling him. He was being asked to choose from M___ S____ or D____.

I took the clipboard from him and added a new category DP_X__ and handed it back to him. Problem solved.

I'd like to congratulate the people in that medical office for having the wisdom of not trying to give us any crap about the improvement we made in their badly designed form. If they had, I would have let them have it with my full 50 megawatt sarcasm beam.  It is a wonder to behold, few have ever forgotten being blasted with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users