Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

But girls are stoopid!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
In honor of my first official brush with sexism in the sciences, from guys I thought were more enlightened, I'd like to remind any female posters out there (or lurkers) why exactly kkkristianity (and our society based on it) is such a plague on women with a link to a post which pretty well sums it up.

Religion's Harm to Women

To be told by a kristian (male) engineering student that girls who go into biological sciences only think they're smart, and that misogyny doesn't exist anymore in the same sentence, is to be stunned, and a little deflated. The story recounted by a former kick-ass female professor about a woman who was told by a male lab colleague that if his wife ever dressed like her, he'd beat her, comes to mind.

My physics lab partner asked me why I never wore skirts to lab last week. When I told him I hated skirts, he asked me if I was one of those "man-hating dykes with army boots."

I'm not in the best of moods right now. I've already accepted the fact that I'm going to be held back in my career by small-minded little boys who will consider me to be "competition" and unable to do science simply because of who I am. That isn't going to stop me. But I will be damned if I ever set foot in my asshole church or resubscribe to that asshole religion that informs me of my inferiority to men all the time. I will not be lectured on my submission by dickwads who are my intellectual inferiors by a long shot.

Fuck them, fuck the high horse they ride on, FUCK THEM ALL.

Thanks for letting me rant. :smt013 :smt011

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Dear The Force,

Just so there is no confusion, we like it when you rant. Your participation here adds to the character of this place and helps it to represent the broad spectrum of human experience.  Your rants are cool, and you rant about things that ought to bother people. Apologies are not required.

Besides we really like smart people, and we really really like scientific smart people.

I've finally realized that hanging around with very, very smart people, like my lovely husband for example, is not going to make me smart. But I still like, respect and appreciate smart people.

Now as far as sexist asshole jock-brained jerks are concerned, I suggest you give them as many good reasons as possible to fear your competition. This seems to be your intention, so, right on!

Not all men are sexist pigs, just the really obnoxious ones.

HUGS!

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
Thanks Ungodly! I feel a lot better now actually. :alien:

There are so many great guys in my classes and labs, and my male bosses have always been really respectful and cool to me, so fortunately I don't have to put up with ignorant stuff like that all the time. I'm just afraid. Afraid of finally coming face to face with bosses or other students who won't acknowledge my contribution to science because of something I can't change, and that shouldn't matter anyway. It enrages and depresses me. I just want to be treated like a person. I want to work side by side with dudes in peace and mutual respect. Denying that women aren't afforded respectful treatment by certain types of men is not a healthy strategy for dealing. I'm really laid back most of the time, but I've been more aware of insidious attitudes toward women lately, because I have to look for a job soon.

I pointed out to my misguided friend that the majority of people who enroll in vet and med schools are women, and that most of the people in my classes are women, and I'm pulling a higher GPA than he is right now, so he backed down. But didn't apologize. Oh well.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest

he asked me if I was one of those "man-hating dykes with army boots."

You should have just said "Yes I am you limp dick sperm donor, and I'd kick your wimpy ass if you weren't such a wuss!"

Probably would have stimulated the conversation. :snork_lach:

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
You go girl!  :Wink:

What I don't understand (well, among other things) is: why would they be afraid of you as competition if they think you're so incompetent because you're a female? I think they're mostly afraid of their own liklihood of failure.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts

think they're mostly afraid of their own liklihood of failure.

Bingo, and apparently with good reason, as they seem to be pre-selected as dumbasses.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

think they're mostly afraid of their own liklihood of failure.

Bingo, and apparently with good reason, as they seem to be pre-selected as dumbasses.

Yeah, it's too bad that Darwinian selection only works reproductively.

PS - Should the word "Darwinian" be capitalized, or is it like the word "biblical", which doesn't need to be?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts

PS - Shoud the word "Darwinian" be capitalized, or is it like the word "biblical", which doesn't?

I would think it should be. It is still referring to a specific person.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Yeah, I think you're probably right about that, thanks!  :Happy:

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

My physics lab partner asked me why I never wore skirts to lab last week. When I told him I hated skirts, he asked me if I was one of those "man-hating dykes with army boots."

I wonder if that qualifies as sexual harassment.  It sounds like he was trying to tell you that, in his eyes, you weren't dressing attractively enough for his taste.  I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds with this, but there are perverts out there who favor women in skirts because it's easier for them to sneak a peek.

Thinker was right, you should have said something back to him.  At least find yourself a better lab partner, preferrably one who doesn't let his little head think for the big one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users