Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Beyond Belief 2006

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Did anyone watch all the videos from the Beyond Belief conference?  BEYOND BELIEF  It was featured on the Richard Dawkins site and he and Sam Harris were among 20 or more speakers.  Well I did and am glad I did.  I really learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed listening and watching the speakers. I admit I didn't understand a lot of it and never will, but one doesn't often get to see a lot of interaction between scientific minds. There were 10 sessions and each session was 2 hours long, so there is quite a bit of watching to do.  Once I had completed 2 sessions I knew I had to continue and see all of them. It was really eye opening to see scientists' differing views on religion etc. I have read about the disagreements between them but to hear the back and forth between them made it so much more exciting.  And there was some heated back and forth.

I will be looking forward to seeing Beyond Belief 2007.

I can't criticize the content of each of the speakers although I know what I liked and what I didn't. But I do criticize some of the physical presentations.  I for sure am not a polished speaker but when I did have to speak before small groups concerningmy field I did practice and tried to make myself presentable. I tried not to twist and scratch and hum and haw. I just felt some of the speakers had a sloppy presentation.

Seti

Seti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I haven't got around to these yet. I just watched these:
Click here for RATIONAL REVOLUTION
I think I originally got the link from here or EA, but I couldn't find it when I went to look again and thank the person who posted it. Again quite long, but well worth the time - a very clear and succinct exposition on the evidence against the existance of the Jesus character.
:farao:

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

I haven't got around to these yet. I just watched these:
Click here for RATIONAL REVOLUTION
I think I originally got the link from here or EA, but I couldn't find it when I went to look again and thank the person who posted it. Again quite long, but well worth the time - a very clear and succinct exposition on the evidence against the existance of the Jesus character.

Yes, I have seen that too. I found it at Internet Infidels MYTHS  Yes long but interesting.  I wished the speaker had been a bit more lively and put some pep into the presentation...but enjoyed anyway.

Seti

Seti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Maybe I'm just used to boring lecture presentations! Many years ago I had a lecturer who took boring to new depths - unfortunately he was my personal tutor, so it was hard to skip. Anyways, this was in wildest Bristol. So one day we're all sitting there, blugeoned into a catatonic state, when a fox came strolling along the garden wall - bold as brass, in broad daylight. Suddenly thirty+ students come awake with an "Ah!" Poor lecturer chappy thought he'd finally (after 40 years of lecturing to cohorts of glassy-eyed students) said something interesting - trouble was, he couldn't think what it was! (Social policy is not the most exciting subject in the universe.)

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Some time ago I and others brought to your attention the BEYOND BELIEF CONFERENCE in which distinguished scientists shared their views on science and religion.  There were many hours of the 3 day session to listen to and watch. I feel one must really see all of the videos to get the feel of the interaction. The participants not only presented but also were allowed to question or add comments to others' material.  At first the back and forth was pleasant and polite.  As the 3 day session wore on, differences..strong differences began to emerge. My heroes Dawkins and Harris were there.  I felt Sam Harris was agitated and thought he was even angry.  Yet I did not know how agitated and angry he was until I read his essay on the OP-ED pages of the the Council for Secular Humanism.

Perhaps you would like to read his essay too. BEYOND BELIEVERS

I thought the point he made that the battle has to be fought not only on the steps of churches but also in the ranks of scientists themselves was most interesting.

At the end of the article he offers a cash reward and signed copies of his book for written responses to some of his points.

TOPHAT....you enjoy writing.  Perhaps this will challenge you or others too.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada
That's a good idea Lady.

I'd just recently received my free DvD and I have some time on my hands. It's always fun to write.

Seti

Seti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
As you know, one of my best friends is a very nice lady vicar. She was frothing at the mouth over this one. This is what she has written on her website:

I'm just watching BBC news 24 and the report on the  demonstration by some Christians against the Government's proposals to pass laws to protect the human rights of gay people.

I'm embarrassed and angry! As an Anglican priest, I resent these people hi-jacking the Church and monopolising the term 'Christian' to such an extent that people like me feel we have to explain what we mean when we admit to being Christians, for fear of being associated with the opinions and practices of a minority faction!

I can't see anything remotely Christian about this protest - in fact, I can see a lot that is not Christian! The central point of the Gospel - and by gospel I mean the teaching of Jesus - is love, compassion and non-judgementalism.  Jesus was very clear that we should keep our noses out of other people's business and concentrate on our own failings and faults!

Even if they are of the opinion that certain passages of the bible have to be interpreted as relevant today (which I personally disagree with), they do not have the right to impose those views upon others and demand that the rights of fundamentalist Christians are enshrined in law while those of gay people are not!

How dare people use Jesus' name in their persecution and humiliation of a vulnerable group of people within our society?!

See why I can be friends with a vicar?

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I do indeed see! Maybe you could coax her to visit us?  [smilie=grineyes.gif]

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

I do indeed see! Maybe you could coax her to visit us?  [smilie=grineyes.gif]

A great suggestion. This fine person is welcome here if she would like to be here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users