Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Holidays vs Federal holidays

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
When I slipped away from Christianity and returned to the faith of my fathers I realized there were some "holidays" from the words "Holy Days" that my folks still believed in. All of our holidays are of course based on the Sun and it's position in the sky. The Equinox at the beginning of winter of course being the most important. This is the time of year when children are given their Indian names and that everybody celebrates their "birthday" similar to the Chinese New Year. Of course solstice is actually on or about December 21 but like so many holidays are borrowed so too is New Years. Some of the elders like the traditional day but it's much easier to plan celebrations and pow wows on a day we all know we will have off. This arrangement got me to thinking about holidays in general and I have to pause. Some of our holidays are secular, some religion based. Some are recognized nearly world wide while some are localized. Now I know everyone likes holidays, especially paid holidays, but what method is used for determining federal holidays, in otherwords holidays recognized by a country or state? I know there has to be some presidential proclamation but what constitutes a holiday? Halloween is considered a holiday yet we don't get it off work. Kwanza is celebrated in many black folks homes yet it too is not a federal holiday. When does a day become so important that uncle sugar decides the banks, federal work force and post office should get a day off? I am interested in other peoples opinions and if changes to our system are due.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
I really did look around for how federal holidays are determined. Didn't find anything real definitive but didn't look that deeply. Congress determines I guess or Presidential Proclamation. Mostly found the when and why of the observance. Spent a lot of time just reading as one link lead to another etc and my mind often lost the link of what I was even searching for. :snork_burn:

As a former teacher I remember some holidays that not everyone observed would often be a pain in the neck.  Students were allowed a day off if wanted.  Of course we were not to test on those days or even teach anything important.  OH PLEASE! And we were expected to prepare assignments for the day for the absent student to take with him/her.  INDEED! And when they returned we were expected to go over any missed material with them. BUT OF COURSE.  No way could the student miss recess or gym to do this.  You just had to work it in during teacher "free time" LOTS OF THAT!

If you asked the student what they did during the holiday, the response sometimes was...went to a movie or the dentist.
I loved holidays.  :snork_shot:

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
I know exactly what you meant. I taught at a vocational school which corraled students from 8 different districts. Each, of course started, took holidays, teacher days, and half days totally different then the others an we were asked to do the same thing. I finally gave up and told my students (High school seniors) that if they were serious about learning their craft they would be there. I got a couple of grumbles but they showed up. I can't imagine what it would be like with all the different religious holidays thrown in and with little kids to boot.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I googled this, but I don't have time to read it right now. I hope it'll contain the info you're seeking:

http://www.billpetro...HolidayHistory/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users