Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sever the ties to invisible weights

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

NietzscheWho?

NietzscheWho?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN
I was brought up Catholic, possibly the most anal-retentive and uptight sect of the Xtian faith. I spent my first two years of schooling at a Catholic school as well, and most of my family are devout, practicing Catholics. While I may have at one point very early in my life accepted that there was God, even at that age, something about that made me uncomfortable. I've never liked churches, mostly because instead of the warm, friendly atmosphere the majority of people see in a church, I've always felt them to be places more of fear and asskissery than anything Over time, things in my life led me to question how there could possibly be some benevolent force near to save mankind yet allow all the horror on this planet to happen, and I eventually came to reason that the entity I was taught was a compassionate, kind, loving being would never permit atrocities such as there have been (i.e. The Crusades, Holocaust, War On Terr'ism, etc.) and therefore did not exist. I cast off the faith that I had been baptized into at birth, with support from my family, who have always been the most accepting people I have ever known. At least I am lucky and have relatives who can have their beliefs and accept that I myself do not share them.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

At least I am lucky and have relatives who can have their beliefs and accept that I myself do not share them.

Hello and welcome NietzscheWho?
How fortunate you are to have a family who accepts your belief that there are no gods. And how fortunate you are to come to this conclusion so early in your life.  Thanks to the internet I think many teens are reading information that is leading them to the same conclusion.  It took me 5 decades or more. I am rather silent around friends and family...only once in a while dropping little hints.  :Sad:
It is great belong to a forum where I can express my disbelief.  I find a great thing about this forum is that it offers many ways to express yourself.  You don't have to offer hi brow arguments (that nobody understands) although you can. There are no fierce disagreements here, maybe just some gentle nudges in another direction.  Best of all when you post, somebody usually says something positive about your post and makes you feel welcome.  :Smiley:

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Hi Nietz!

asskissery

I LIKE YOUR STYLE! :snork_lach: :snork_lach: :snork_lach:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Hi NietzscheWho?, Welcome!

I'm an ex-Catholic too. It sure screwed up my head, it has taken me years to unlearn all of the bad lessons I learned from religion.

I'm glad you have an accepting family, I do too. They accept me both as an atheist and as a gay man.

Tell us more about you, please, or ask one of us old timers here to tell about ourselves.

It's good that you decided to join here.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Hi NietzscheWho?  :snork_wink:

I was brought up Catholic, possibly the most anal-retentive and uptight sect of the Xtian faith.

I just finished reading Dan Browns' book, Angels and Demons, about a mishap of the "anal retentive" nature. The scary part was, it seemed plausible, and well within the realm of possibility, given some of the past excesses of the RCC. It's a good thing scientists can't/won't make antimatter in very dangerous quantities. There're lots of other dangerous "wrong hands" that a destructive technolgy might fall into. I was raised a Baptist, and they've not always been saints themselves.

I spent my first two years of schooling at a Catholic school as well, and most of my family are devout, practicing Catholics. While I may have at one point very early in my life accepted that there was God, even at that age, something about that made me uncomfortable.

I sorta made a bet with myself when I was about 13-14 yo. I figured that either God existed and there was a life after death, or there was no God, nor an afterlife. In the latter case, I thought that would mean that as long as a person could keep from getting busted by the law, by dying they could escape all punishment, since only oblivion awaits them. But, on the other hand, if there was a God and life after death, then I'd better start finding out the truth of the matter, and find out what it would take to have a good afterlife, instead of BURNING IN HELL FOREVER. So I got baptised and all the other hoopla, and sang in the coir and stuff. I was a pretty good singer, sang bass.

I've never liked churches, mostly because instead of the warm, friendly atmosphere the majority of people see in a church, I've always felt them to be places more of fear and asskissery than anything

I've been to a few Catholic ceremonies over the years, and your description of them as "fear and asskissery" is right on the mark. They're glum and depressing, and boring as well, if not for the novelty of being at a Catholic service. And it wasn't just the funeral that was glum and depressing, just the regular service was too. And the Episcopal service wasn't much better, I can't imagine doing that very often.

Over time, things in my life led me to question how there could possibly be some benevolent force near to save mankind yet allow all the horror on this planet to happen, and I eventually came to reason that the entity I was taught was a compassionate, kind, loving being would never permit atrocities such as there have been (i.e. The Crusades, Holocaust, War On Terr'ism, etc.) and therefore did not exist. I cast off the faith that I had been baptized into at birth, with support from my family, who have always been the most accepting people I have ever known. At least I am lucky and have relatives who can have their beliefs and accept that I myself do not share them.

You are lucky to have supportive, accepting familial relationships. I feel I'm lucky to have no relatives at all. I've heard some real horror stories from people in prison about how fucked up their families were. Mine wasn't so hot while it lasted, but it wasn't nearly as bad as it could've been, so I feel pretty good that I survived to escape the family ties. The lottery of birth gives no one the choice of whom their families will be. Abraham Lincoln once said, "I don't know who my grandfather was, I'm more concerned to know who his grandson will be". That describes me pretty well, along with the Great Emancipator. People born in Asia aren't very likely to be born to a Christian family, while in the west they're more likely to be so. The geographical distribution of the major (and minor) religions leads me to the conclusion that they are the products of peoples' minds, just like Santa Claus, etc.

Welcome to the board! Don't be a stranger! We need more intelligent people to talk to, especially ones who can use, like, grammar and stuff. 

:smt024

That's one of the things I dislike about having fundies on the board, I always have to translate what they're typing into something remotely meaningful.

devilman

devilman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationBelfast Northern Ireland
My Family do not fully comprehend what I am going through, they think I was happy and content in my younger years as a Christian and member of the congregation. I quickly pointed out that I was simply naive and did not see the truth that was right in front of me! Even as a xtian I asked questions the minister could not answer. It's all about faith, bollocks...like my Dad said to me last night, "there's fuck all, only yourself" I am lucky that he and I are so alike it's like 1 spirit divided into 2 bodies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users