Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Questions (a partial rant)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

rubberglass

rubberglass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMost likely in the one place your not looking...
I fell religion serves but one perpose today.  To answer unaswerable questions.  I guess this has always been the reason religion has stayed alive and for that matter been created.  The only reason i feel religion can still stand the test of time is becuase we still have questions that are unaswered.  Where we go when we die?  Is there a god? And how was or why was the universe created?  All of these events seem to be rather cosmic mysteries.  All of the religious answers are quite better then the ones atheists can give but atheist ones seem more realistic.  I certainly would love to believe I shall die and forever remain in a heavenly paradise rather than rotting away in a wooden box.  :roll: This question cannot be answered because we don't know what happens (whether everything goes black or we "see the light").  We also cannot answer how things were created or what was before it becuase we cant comprehend it.  Religion tries to answer the question and put it into terms humans can comprehend even if they are far fetched beyond belief.  I also would like to belive that we were chosen to be made and put here rather then a cosmic chance.  ANd the last question of whether there is a supreme being (god, pink unicorn, etc and what it would appear to be) agian is incomprehendable.  We cannot rap our minds on something this far beyond our sciences and thats why it is called faith.  This being the most far fetched part of religion and most likely the reason why people abondon it thus atheists.  God is just as unrealistic as anything but the only reason the other parts of religion exist.  Thus there is a choice no god and no real, or god on blind faith and religion.  And i guess people choose to believe in god becuase of the good that priests (etc) choose to make out of religion if you believe in god as opposed to realizing its bs just so you get to rot in a box. :roll:

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest

just so you get to rot in a box.

Glass, glass, glass . . when are you going to start realizing that worms gotta eat too! I personally find the idea of being recycled into the earth much more appealing then bending down for an eternity kissing some really old guys ass. Actually being spread out over the desert is what we (Belle and I) have decided to go for. Hopefully I can be an irritating speck in some fundys eye!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

I certainly would love to believe I shall die and forever remain in a heavenly paradise rather than rotting away in a wooden box.  :roll:

I think of it more as coming to an end at the moment of death, as if to say "That's all he wrote..."  And it is fitting for a species that reproduces to have death as a part of the plan, otherwise think of the real estate prices.

"Sorry Johnny, your mother and I have given up dying for a few more  centuries, you won't be inheriting the estate for quite some time after all."

But don't make the mistake of deciding arbitrarily to believe one thing or another is true just because it feels good. It is the evidence of a matter that determines how we understand it, and seeing no evidence for a Sky Daddy I continue failing to adopt a belief in one. Except of course for Pinky, the invisible pink elephant deity that lives under the olive tree in my front yard. Pinky is the One True God

rubberglass

rubberglass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
[quote author=Ungodly link=topic=419.msg2803#msg2803 date=1168216138]
But don't make the mistake of deciding arbitrarily to believe one thing or another is true just because it feels good. It is the evidence of a matter that determines how we understand it, and seeing no evidence for a Sky Daddy I continue failing to adopt a belief in one. Except of course for Pinky, the invisible pink elephant deity that lives under the olive tree in my front yard. Pinky is the One True God

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
[quote] Pinky is the One True God

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Jeez! How many "One True Gods" are there, anyway?  :Wink:

One of the main problems I have with religion (any!) is that people find religious answers, so they stop looking for the real answers, and therefore never do find them. Fortunately, there are those who won't accept "goddidit" as an answer, so we have computers (etc.) with which we can talk to other non-believers. Science has done much more for the world in the last 300 years than religion did in the last 30,000 years.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
The one True God is the invisible pink elephant that lives under the olive tree in my front yard.  Everybody knows that.

Shown below is an artists conception of Pinky, but since the artist was inspired by Pinky it is a proven fact that this rendition of The One True God

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Sorry, but my heart's full of blood, with very little room left over for this "love" of which you speak.  :Wink:

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
You will notice that the above picture is a photograph, not someones imaginary "Idea" of what the "One True Goddess" actually looks like. It seems to me I saw a video quite recently of one Steven Ryder exclaiming his UNBELIEF in any God whereas I provide actual photographic evidence of said God(dess) So put that in your gluten free queer man soy milkshake! [smilie=sex0ring.gif] [smilie=smack.gif] [smilie=poke.gif] [smilie=loopyblicking.gif] :smt098 :smt106 :smt077

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts

So put that in your gluten free queer man soy milkshake! [smilie=sex0ring.gif] [smilie=smack.gif] [smilie=poke.gif] [smilie=loopyblicking.gif] :smt098 :smt106 :smt077

Now you made me want a milkshake, and the worst part of it is that we have the soymilk and the soy ice cream.  It's your fault if I have a milkshake now.  :Smiley:

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts

It's your fault if I have a milkshake now.

No, that's the power of the Goddess!

I rest my case! :snork_lach:

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Rubberglass, I liked your rant. Unfortunately I had to wade through a bunch of garbage to get back to it.
You say you are probably about the youngest here. Well, I am probably the oldest so that makes us something or other.
I know I could never have thought and written like you and the other young ones here when that age. I still can't. I rarely analyze or question why I don't believe stuff. Maybe I did once but just don't worry about it any more.  But I think you young ones are going to have to confront it head on. So I do feel your posting here and getting some good natured feedback can only give you more ideas to think about. Hopefully one day you won't have to feel threatened or scared or in the minority like some of us feel...at least me.

:Smiley:

rubberglass

rubberglass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Rubberglass, I liked your rant. Unfortunately I had to wade through a bunch of garbage to get back to it.
You say you are probably about the youngest here. Well, I am probably the oldest so that makes us something or other.
I know I could never have thought and written like you and the other young ones here when that age. I still can't. I rarely analyze or question why I don't believe stuff. Maybe I did once but just don't worry about it any more.  But I think you young ones are going to have to confront it head on. So I do feel your posting here and getting some good natured feedback can only give you more ideas to think about. Hopefully one day you won't have to feel threatened or scared or in the minority like some of us feel...at least me.

:Smiley:

Well thank you Lady, I quite appreciate your nice comments.  I guess the reason it seems like people can express their comments more and more these days is because the younger generation doesn't care half as much about non traditional ideas it seems (to me).  I mean most of my school may not be openly atheist but not really god loving creatures.  My principle i believe is gay and so he hires only gay teachers so i am taught by mostly gay (seemingly non religious) teachers in most of my subjects.  So atleast where i live no one really thinks twice about too many things.  It also seems that america is trying to become more excepting allthough far from any real achievement but as for being atheist I feel it is much easier to say it now then ever before (atleast in the north east) becuase i bet most people trully are non-believers just too scared to admit it or feel they shouldnt(incase they are wrong).  However, if more and more people come out to be atheist more people accept it.  Same thing with being gay (well pretty different) but no one was openely gay too long ago and now there are parades and organizations, the same thing pretty soon has to spark up for every other non conformist idea, I would suspect. :roll:

NietzscheWho?

NietzscheWho?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN
To me it seems that this "God" that everyone seems to be so hyped up about is really little more than something to hide our own shame and guilt about things that we do. Wars all throughout history have been waged in the name of a higher power, whatever one desires to call it. Many things that would normally fill a person with guilt are made okay, simply because "God said I should". To bring it forward in time a few notches, nowadays, the Christian church expects it's minions to pay them money so they can believe in their "God". And where does this money go? If you've been inside a church, you'll realize that they are most often ridiculously ornamental. Thousands of dollars wasted without a single penny of it taxed all so a group of scared, shameful people can pray to The Invisible Sky Daddy in a bulding riddled with shiny, fancy, pointless things. And then there's Televangelism, and I'm not even gonna go there. If anyone actually can't smell the giant reek of bullshit oozing from those nuts, then they deserve to be lining the wallets of the greedy who would take in the name of "God".

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I heard Bernie Ward, on his Sunday God Talk program, mention that 80% of Catholic dioceces got ripped off in the past year by their own priests, etc., and that significant money was involved. One case he talked about was a half million dollars! That's where the money goes, but the sheeple just keep coughing it up, and they don't have any means of ever knowing where their money goes because they have no access to the books. All of that money they lose to the Church is owned by the Bishop, to do with as he pleases.

[edit]
Hot damn! A linky-winky!
http://www.nytimes.c...=rssnyt&emc=rss
[/edit]

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts

Unfortunately I had to wade through a bunch of garbage to get back to it.

Well . . .EXCUSE ME!

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Well . . .EXCUSE ME!

OH OH Posted Image

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member