Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is a Religious Affliction?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
A religious affliction is any belief system that is religious and also causes harm. An example of such an affliction is Christianity, often the basis for wars and persecution.

We call it an affliction because we find that religion often does considerable harm to its victims. Those victims include the individual suffering from religious beliefs, and the persons they may harm based on those delusions.

Did you formerly suffer from a religious affliction? How did you escape it?

Sandy

Sandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationN.W. Phoenix
Religious affliction is a hereditary weakness found in homes where truth is controlled. Information must never be kept from the human race or we will come to a roaring stand still.

As a mother and grandmother I will not tolerate this limitation being set on my kids.

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
Perhaps there's a better way than capitalism & governments, though? I'm not saying it doesn't work, within its own paradigms... but then so does xianity!

Sandy

Sandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationN.W. Phoenix
I don't see the connection. Capitalism is a economic system that works for the individual. Christianity is a religion based on faith.

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
Capitalism, christianity and even "democracy" as we know it are just ways of concentrating power away from each individual and placing one's sovereignty/faith/trust on or in someone or something else. Capitalism does not work for every individual-- as is blatantly obvious it has created a small number of super-rich peeps who control the resources of the world, and a large number of super-poor peeps who get shat on by the rich.

Capitalism requires as much faith as Christianity. Look at all the people in the UK currently suffering because of their misplaced faith in their pension schemes and the government.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

I got a Reform Jewish Sunday School education when I was a child.  One day I started reading the Bible that came with my barmitzvah.  My faith never recovered.  I went on to read the New Testament.  That finished the job.  Nothing destroys faith quite like really reading scripture from cover to cover.

Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

I never suffered from a religious affliction. My bullshit detector seems to have kicked-in very early in my life.

It didn't just work against the bible. I was only about six when I discovered that "Once upon a time..." was code for "This story is not true..." and, from that time onwards, 'StoryTime' was ruined for me. I just sat there squirming and thinking to myself, "Why do I have to listen to this shit?"

I must have been a funny little bugger way back then.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
I found the stories in Norse Mythology more enjoyable than the Bible stories. For one thing, the characters are more interesting.

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
I mean this as a serious question. Is religion of itself a mental disorder? Or is it only a symptom of mental disorder?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,618 posts

I mean this as a serious question. Is religion of itself a mental disorder? Or is it only a symptom of mental disorder?

I think religions are not necessarily toxic, xenophobic, or otherwise horrible.  I also do not think having religious beliefs is necessarily harmful to the person with the delusion.  It depends on the nature of the beliefs and most importantly how it impacts a person's life, and other people too.

It very often happens that people with mental difficulties manifest as religious fanatics. 

The problem I see is the widespread notion that religious beliefs are above reproach.   All ideas and claims should be subject to rational review and evaluation.  Religious views should not automatically be respected.  A religion can earn my respect by improving the lives of its own followers as well as heathens.

My sisters say that my religion is being vegan.  It's a fairly loose use of the word, because there is no vegan religious faith to my knowledge, but I get their point.  In my life minimizing the harm I do to other creatures is a high priority.  I evaluate potential actions in that light, so it functions much like a religion.

To answer your questions more directly, I say no to both for the general case.

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

I think religions are not necessarily toxic, xenophobic, or otherwise horrible.  I also do not think having religious beliefs is necessarily harmful to the person with the delusion.  It depends on the nature of the beliefs and most importantly how it impacts a person's life, and other people too.

It very often happens that people with mental difficulties manifest as religious fanatics. 

The problem I see is the widespread notion that religious beliefs are above reproach.   All ideas and claims should be subject to rational review and evaluation.  Religious views should not automatically be respected.  A religion can earn my respect by improving the lives of its own followers as well as heathens.

My sisters say that my religion is being vegan.  It's a fairly loose use of the word, because there is no vegan religious faith to my knowledge, but I get their point.  In my life minimizing the harm I do to other creatures is a high priority.  I evaluate potential actions in that light, so it functions much like a religion.

To answer your questions more directly, I say no to both for the general case.

I don't think this is a good example, for other reasons. You are vegan because you are kind and ethical. It is a mistake to let the pious define us. It is how our power is stolen from us.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,618 posts

I don't think this is a good example, for other reasons. You are vegan because you are kind and ethical. It is a mistake to let the pious define us. It is how our power is stolen from us.

That's very interesting, I see your point.  

Perhaps my choice to be vegan is not delusional, and therefore not a religion?

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

That's very interesting, I see your point.  

Perhaps my choice to be vegan is not delusional, and therefore not a religion?

Perhaps you remember when Diana Nyad told Oprah Winfrey that she was an Atheist?  Oprah proceeded to redefine God and told Diana that she was not an Atheist, because she had a sense of awe.  I get so sick and tired of this crap.  It is possible to be good and happy and even spiritual -- what ever that means -- without religion, God or piety.  It starts by refusing to let the pious decide who and what we are.

If you were religious, the clergy would be defining your ethics for you.  You're better than that.  Much better.  Ethics aside -- remember -- real religion has body counts.

No.  You are not delusional.  You are the one who refuses to be deluded by religion.  It is the pious who are delusional.

If you want to test the tolerance of the pious -- try blessing them in the name of The Flying Spaghetti Monster.  See how quickly that pretense of live and let live flys out the window.

Edited by jonathanlobl, 02 December 2015 - 10:27 AM.

• Ungodly likes this

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

As a formerly religious person who has a mental illness, I have a double interest in this question. Here is what I wrote in another forum a year ago:

Mental health professionals have tsk-tsked us about calling religion a mental illness. I think the difference is that mental illness is an individual pathology, while religion is institutionalized. (Please, pun is not intended!) Even in cases of mass hallucination—for example, mass UFO sightings or the 1917 miracle of the Sun—the witnesses are obviously not mentally ill.

Part of the difficulty must be that the symptoms of mental illnesses are all aspects of mentally healthy people. Where to draw the line between pathology and the normal quirks of being human is a difficult question. Religion accumulates certain mental traits of normal people to a level which, if applied to an individual, would indicate mental illness.

Perhaps extreme religiosity will make the DSM someday, but just having religious beliefs will not. Like it or not, being religious is perfectly normal, crazy as it may be. (N.B. “Crazy” is not a medical term, so they can’t tsk-tsk us about that.)

One point of confusion is that although religion is not a mental illness, nor does it cause mental illness, it can provide expression for a mental illness that is already present (and in the process, cloak the illness, until something horrible happens—like drowning your 5 kids).

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users