Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The future sans religion?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
No religion and an end to war: how thinkers see the future

Well, I sure hope they're right! It'd be great to see religion wither awy to nothing, in my lifetime. This current spam of religion may be its "last throes".

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Some nice optimism there.  I'll be ashes in the wind before any of that happens.  Nice read.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
I think their 25 year estimate may be a bit too optimistic but many things can happen. I would like to see a lot more scientists drag the religious nutcases out and prove their silly flood stories and such ar nonsense. I think that would spur others to disprove more and more until the entire religious thing would be in question.

Seti

Seti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I don't think religion will be eliminated completely, but I think it will lose a lot of its current grip on public life. In the Yookay things are currently coming nicely to the boil, with legislation to outlaw discrimination against gay people in the provision of good and services bringing the fundies (xian, Muslim and Jewish) out of the woodwork to show their true colours. They had a big demonstration outside parliament, but the Lords (oh boy, I can't beleive we still have them!) threw out the attempt to water down the Bill with a "conscience cause" which would have eviscerated it. Most of the population are in favour of euthanasia and against faith schools, and are not best pleased about religious pressure on the government over these.

What is beginning to happen is that those who are not in favour of letting religion govern political decisions are waking up, realising that it's time to organise and get our voices heard. And as Richard Dawkins has discovered, there are a lot more of us than people realised. That in itself will help the wave to grow - as rationalism becomes more visible, more people will start to think a bit more about what they've always been taught to beleive, will begin to question it. Once these religious myths are no longer seen as unquestionable realities, held by almost everyone, they will begin to crumble away like ancient tapestries exposed to the sunshine.
:farao:

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
As more and more people fall away from religion, the ones who grow wealthy and poswerful off it will get more and more desperate. The more desperate they get, the more extreme they'll become. The more extreme they become, the more people will see them for what they really are. The more people see them for what they really are, the more people will fall away from religion. This cycle will continue until society considers it rude, or worse, to even mention religion or anything connected with it.

At least, that's my hope and my dream, but it will take some time and probably a lot of spilled blood before religion is finally squashed for good. Then we can get on with the business of living life freely.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
As you might have predicted I would say, there's much of this that I don't agree with.

Getting rid of religion would not bring an end to wars.  Humans are competitive and violent animals by nature, as a consequence of the conditions in which we evolved, and a lack of religion would only remove one of the many things we fight over.  Chimpanzees have no religion, and yet they go to war with rival groups, to fight over food, territory, and other resources.  Religion serves as a catalyst to this behavior, but it is not the only cause.  There are certainly non or anti-religious ideas that people have developed firm convictions, and even fanaticism over.

Secondly, to come up with a grand unified theory of everything would not deal any kind of death blow to religion.  That isn't what science is about anyway, because it isn't the role of science to attack or destroy religious belief.  When science ends up debunking religious nonsense, it is primarily due to religion butting in where it doesn't belong in the first place.  Scientific discovery will certainly change religion, and force it to evolve, just as it has in the past, but science should not be regarded as a weapon of eradication.

I will, however, say this.  Eventually the religions of the world as we know them today will cease to exist, in the sense that they will have changed to such a degree that they would be unrecognizable by the standards of modern mainstream belief.  Superstition and dogmatism will diminish, when people realize they look stupid in the face of overwhelming evidence that demonstrates otherwise.  It's happened before, and it will happen again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users