Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I haven't read this book, but it looks interesting, to say the least! I thought y'all might want to know about it.

Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality

Book Description
In a powerful new book, evangelical theologian and former Moderator of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Jack Rogers argues unequivocally for equal rights in the church and in society for people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. Throughout history, he observes, Christianity has moved towards ever greater openness and inclusiveness. Today's church is led by many of those who were once cast out: people of color, women, and divorced and remarried people. He argues that when we interpret the Bible through the lens of Jesus' redemptive life and ministry, we see that the church is called to grant equal rights to all people. Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality describes Rogers' own change of mind and heart on the issue; charts the church's well-documented history of using biblical passages to oppress marginalized groups; argues for a Christ-centered reading of Scripture; debunks oft-repeated stereotypes about gays and lesbians; and concludes with ideas for how the church can heal itself and move forward again. A fascinating combination of personal narrative, theology, and church history, this book is essential reading for all concerned with the future of the church and the health of the nation. "This is an extraordinary book, arguably the best to appear in the long, drawn-out debates within churches over homosexuality," says J. Philip Wogaman, former senior minister at Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington, D.C. "Rogers book will be useful to people of ALL mainline denomination..." says the Right Reverend V. Gene Robinson, Episcopal Bishop of New Hampshire. "For those who truly wish to know what the Bible does and does not say, this is a real find."

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
In terms of the attitude of religious reform that Jesus put forth, I'd have to agree.  In terms of the literal interpretation of the gospels, which I've seen fundies among both Christianity and atheism use, it doesn't work (e.g. Jesus says to follow the old laws, which implies that Leviticus is still in effect).

However, if people were really intent on following Jesus' example, they would have to agree with the former interpretation as well.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,827 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
I'm glad there are people within organized religions that are inspired to be rational and reject homophobia, but the cure remains getting rid of Christianity itself.  I suppose one approach is to improve Christianity into something different, but as long as it comes down to some bastard deity with a beard, white hair, a curvy staff thingy, and a really bad temper then I'm for it going away completely.

The whole authoritative God thing, with the representatives on Earth to interpret and administer justice, it leaves me cold.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
New Book Dares to Show Queer Jesus

Boy, I hope she has bodyguards! Some Christians are awefully touchy about their so called "Saviour".

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
Well, what can you say about a guy who spent most of his time hanging around single men in togas, never dated or married even though it would have been VERY unusual for a Jewish man at the time, and went so far as to teach that lust for women is sinful?  He never once specifically condemned homosexuality as sinful, even though people like Moses and St. Paul were quite hell bent on repeating this rule over and over again.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,827 posts
I tell ya, when I were just a wee lad at St Cecilias I thought that wrap Jeebus was wearing on the cross looked awfully hot.  Jeebus sets off my gaydar too.

I make no claim to have actually, you know, well, not with Jeebus. No such claim.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada
Didn't the Christians put an end to gay sex in japan?

I read it up on wikipedia.

Samurai's used to have sex with their apprentices to teach tem how to be caring, and prostitution was quite legal. Knock Knock Knock says Christianity.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Doesn't someone have to actually exist, before they can have an opinion about anything? Someone, somewhere has to prove to me that Jesus was an actual being before I will listen to any of his rantings.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,827 posts

Doesn't someone have to actually exist, before they can have an opinion about anything? Someone, somewhere has to prove to me that Jesus was an actual being before I will listen to any of his rantings.

There you go talking sense again!

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Sorry. I allowed the rational part of my brain to gain control again.

and now, back to normal . .

:snork_lach: :snork_lach: :snork_lach: :snork_lach: :snork_lach: :snork_lach:

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
There for a bit I thought you might've been channelling Socrates!  :snork_blin:

The White Coyote

The White Coyote