Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Prudes win again

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
http://news.yahoo.co...anatomy_lesson]N.Y. teacher barred for anatomy drawings[/url]

Right, so we should hide the facts of sex from them until they're old enough to marry, so they won't have any idea what that thing is between their new spouse's legs.

I agree with this parent:

At least one parent said he did not believe the material was inappropriate.

"This is biology, it's anatomy, it's human sexuality," said Jon Klibonoff, who has a child at the school but not in the class. "They're in puberty. They're aware of it on one level or another."

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,613 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
It may have been a matter of poor judgment to ask a teenage boy or girl to go to the blackboard and draw male genitals in front of a class.

But the over-reaction does not suit the crime, if any.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Right or wrong it would have been an interesting study of what the students thought of as normal organs.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
The only thing I would worry about is that it could degenerate into some over-the-top crudity.  Like, if some kid goes up and draws the Grey's Anatomy version of a penis, fine.  But you know damn well that some wisenheimer is going to go up there and sketch his best caricature of Big Vince Gottalotta and the whole thing will devolve into gutter humor and several uncomfortable kids.  That could be touchy.  The teacher should be the only one in charge of the chalk when it comes to anatomy.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
While I was teaching there were several occasions where the conversation and the subject matter had nothing at all to do with the class. Being teenagers that subject would often turn towards sex. I didn't stop the students from talking openly and frankly about anything as long as I felt the subject and conversation benefitted the class. But my students were all seniors and they were all aware of the limits I would impose. As long as the teacher is the alpha dog, this type of discussion can happen and be constructive. The minute he/she backs down though it can and will turn into chaos. Teaching isn't for (pardon the pun) weenies.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I haven't read James Dobson's book, but I've heard that he advocates that little boys shower with their dads, so they can see what a real man's organ looks like. I havent heard that any prudes are up in arms about that!

[T]he boy's father has to do his part. He needs to mirror and affirm his son's maleness. He can play rough-and-tumble games with his son, in ways that are decidedly different from the games he would play with a little girl. He can help his son learn to throw and catch a ball. He can teach him to pound a square wooden peg into a square hole in a pegboard. He can even take his son with him into the shower, where the boy cannot help but notice that Dad has a penis, just like his, only bigger.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,613 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Imagine the outcry if a gay person had suggested that children should shower with adults.

It sounds creepy to me, it might border on being perverted. It certainly is at great risk of being misinterpreted. Or do I mean interpreted?

Is this a subtle glimpse of the real James Dobson? Are we seeing a clue that might help explain his rabid homophobia?

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
Well, naturally, I can't speak for everyone.  But I can barely stomach the idea that my parents had sex, much less having to stand there in the shower staring at The Colonel.  No thank, I'll pass!!!

I can assure you that the mere thought of Mrs FlatEarth's baby boy having a shower with Mr FlatEarth is nearly as soul-scarring as the actual event would no doubt have been!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users