Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

LA Christian Hospital Dumps Paraplegic Patient on Skid Row

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Here is a very good example of why this country needs to have universal health care.

In order to be eligible for medical care, a person should have to:
1) Be alive
2) Be in the USA

Once those requirements have been met, then the most powerful nation in the world should protect the freedom of our great nation by keeping its people alive and well.

story

The profit motive tends to drive out compassion, yet there is no field of human endeavor that requires compassion more than medical care.

By removing the profit incentive we free the system to focus on caring for human beings.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
A sad story but it happens all the time. Why don't these churches step up to the plate and take care of these folks? Because they are too interested in shoveling in tax free money and shoveling out contributions to republican stooges, building huge multi million dollar hi-def churches to lure in more megabucks and plugfuqing little boys.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
I agree that the churches don't seem to care enough to do anything.

Individual people, Christian or otherwise, certainly care about things like this. It is appalling if everything alleged in that story is true, and few people would think it is OK to do stuff like this.  But it is an institutional problem.

Everybody should receive any health care they require.  I'm not advocating free cosmetic surgery, just the sort of health care that is required to sustain life and allow a person to be productive.   We are one of the richest nations in the world, surely we can take care of our own people if we can afford to kill thousands of people somewhere else in their own country.

I mean, to kill an innocent Iraqi child we have to send weapons and people nearly half way around the world at great expense, but the poor people we need to provide medical care for are right here at home. Think of the huge savings if we had to provide free medical care to 500 Americans for every innocent child we kill in their own country.

After a few years we could improve world peace by raising the requirement to 1,000 persons receiving free medical care for life for each innocent child brutally killed to protect the rights of Exxon/Mobil.

Before long we'd have the oil companies clamoring for more free medical care for impoverished people so they could get an increase in our imperialism spending, ooops, I mean defense budget.

Soon defense contractors would be pouring billions of dollars into urban health care clinics so they could sell more fighter jets, which of course are useful for nothing but killing.

Within a few thousand years we might reach karmic equivalency, where governments are forced to do at least one good thing for every evil deed they do.

I would never suggest the scales could be tipped the other way. That level of optimism, borders on mania and lunacy. We are talking about human beings, after all, the cruelest and meanest species of animal known to man.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Sounds good Steve but you know as well as anyone that as long as $$$ and medicine and corporate America and big $$$ drug companies are all having a big circle jerk it aint gonna happen.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts

Sounds good Steve but you know as well as anyone that as long as $$$ and medicine and corporate America and big $$$ drug companies are all having a big circle jerk it aint gonna happen.

You're only saying that because it is true.  But I'm so old and feeble that the best I can do is sow the seeds of future subversion on my way out the door, it's up to the under 100 crowd now to take up the torch.

Sure, in the end the forces of greed, evil, and Rupert Murdoch may win, but at least we can still remember a time when the whole society, the government and the people, cared in a general way about each other.

But as you say, corporations don't care for anything but $$$.  And even our institutions designed to care for people are still more focused on $$$, as this case illustrates.

As long as the CorpoGovernment remains focused on business needs above all else, I guess we need to expect the status quo.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Best I can do is slap ya with a good karma and hope for the best! :snork_lach:

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
It makes me sick erery time I hear them refer to themselves as "the culture of life". Like Orwellian doublespeak! Freedom is Salvery! War is Peace! Death is life!

AAARRRGGG!

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
You know how it is with conservative Christians.  Before you're born, and after you're dead, but anything in between and they can't be bothered.

Reminds me of how in the middle ages the Church used to vivisect pregnant women if their fetus was going to die, just so they could "baptize" the fetus, even though this would invariably kill the woman as well.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada
We have to great, large money making countries standing together. Why can't we both just have health care? Why is it so bad? health care here works well. People get stuff to help them out, and although it can sometimes be slow, it is better then dying.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

We have to great, large money making countries standing together. Why can't we both just have health care? Why is it so bad? health care here works well. People get stuff to help them out, and although it can sometimes be slow, it is better then dying.

Ahhhhh, the naiveness of youth (I though it was naivity...).  You don't get it, do you Top?  Nobody gives a damn...not the caregivers, not the policy makers, and not the spiritual leaders.  With a fraction of what we spend on outer space missile technology, we could provide healthcare to every man, woman and child in the US, and probably feed and house them with the change.  But it will never happen because this is a country founded not on a constitution or even a bible, but on the almighty dollar.  Understand that The Pilgrims only comprised half the Mayflower.  The other half were fortune seekers out to make their own, as well as their backers in England, so lets dispense with any thoughts of "A new start...(sniff)...for Freedom!"  This country is about making a buck.  Always was, always will be.

That's the real reason.  Too many people have too many fingers in too many pies.  US Healthcare expenditures for 2003 were 1.7 TRILLION dollars (Link).  That's a lot of money, and nobody wants to risk their share of it.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada
If only it could be another way. I was watching "The Awful Truth" tv show by Michael Moore. In it it talks about working care for the ill. Getting ill people working around the hospital to pay for their dues.

I know the united states is about making the buck. If it wasn't, I don't think the rebellion would have happened. Money has always been part of everything, but so have the people. Nobody may give a damn, but I'll give a damn till the day I die. It isn't even my country and I care.

People were adventurous, that was the life they looked for, very true. Times have changed, I think it is time to beat the dollar, or at least fight and lose.Nothing in this world is perfect, but something must be able to be done. I hate the feeling that everything is so powerless. I can't even vote for my prime minister, and right now the guy we have is pro-life  and anti-gays.

I think sometimes, I value money to little. If a guy were to want to rob me, I would just open my wallet and give him the money. I really wouldn't care. Gah!

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
I'm afraid FlatEarth is right Top. The almighty dollar is the #1 driving factor in so many things including healthcare. If there isn't big $$ to be made by drug companies they don't give a rats ass, and aren't about to invest a dime. That's why we have designer drugs for really serious stuff like wiggly legs and thin lips. We are at the mercy of the insurance companies and they know it.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

That's why we have designer drugs for really serious stuff like wiggly legs and thin lips.

And limp dicks!  Don't forget about all the men with limp dicks who are in dire need of their boner pills!

Human lives are worth about $3 million according to the Department of Transportation, or if you want to go with the EPA estimate, about $6 million.  See?  You are worth millions after all!

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
. . . then again, some lives aren't worth as much as others.  :snork_lach:

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That's why we have designer drugs for really serious stuff like wiggly legs and thin lips.

And limp dicks!  Don't forget about all the men with limp dicks who are in dire need of their boner pills!

Human lives are worth about $3 million according to the Department of Transportation, or if you want to go with the EPA estimate, about $6 million.  See?  You are worth millions after all!

Well, many Christians seem to think that humans are worthless, but this page reprots a value of $45 million!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users