Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thank Hank for Steve, again...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
Below is a dialogue exchange I had at yet another forum (I'm a bit of a forum gypsy lately, just to see who else is out there).  Anyhow, take a look at the I Said/She Said.

Spoiler

So...I'm left to wonder.  Did a member basically tell me she feels constrained by not being able to tell me to go F**K myself, and that not being able to call me a stupid a**hole would cause her to feel all censored and hemmed in?

And when I explained that I merely wished to be treated with respect and not subjected to name-calling and flame attacks, did a Moderator basically tell me that someone may say to me/call me/describe me any damn thing they please and that the problem is mine for trying to exert "control over others"?

Furthermore, does anyone else read a tone of resentment into the replies to my inquiries?  It almost seems like "how dare you waltz in here and tell me not to tell you to go F**K yourself and call you an a**hole.  Who do you think you are?". 

And so, my friends, let us raise a glass tonight to Steve Rider and the happy home he has provided for us here at ANG.  We always talk about how nasty the fundies are.  Well, buddy, let me tell you what.  The atheists ain't no slice of pie neither.  How nice it is to have someplace where my back is watched and my dignity is respected.

I mean it Steve...thanks!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words very much.  But I only deserve a small fraction of that praise, as it should be divided among all of the fine people that participate here.  I'm only providing a room in which conversations can be conducted, it may be a nice room, but the conversation is the reason we are here.  Everybody that posts contributes to that.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
I wish you people would not go on so much about what a swell guy Steve is and what a wonderful site this is and yada yada. He's actually just trying to push his anti god, homo  agenda and has even been known to cut the corners off his beard and wear mixed fibers. Next thing you know he'll be eating crustaceons and believing pink elephants live in his front yard. Crazy fag! :snork_lach:

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
Sounds like EA has devolved into yet another one of those hardcore atheist communities, where it's not enough to use logic and reason, because as a rule you have to be a DICK to everyone who doesn't think exactly as you do.  If theists came in and behaved that way, they'd be banned in the blink of an eye.  It's bad enough that some people treat the forum as a giant roll of toilet paper to wipe their ass on after a hard stressful day, but to do so under the pretense of skepticism or 'education' is seriously disingenuous.

As a personal rule, I always gave newcomers the benefit of the doubt, because there is always a slim chance that they'd actually be willing to listen. It was only if and when they revealed themselves to be trolls that I took the gloves off.  To jump straight into the ad hominem attacks defeats the whole purpose of having a discussion in the first place.  There's a difference between talking with someone and talking AT someone.  The problem with many fundamentalist Christian sites is that they spend all their time jerking each other off, agreeing with each other, repeating the same one-sided arguments, and then shouting down any dissenting opinions.  What good does it do to become just as bad as them?

You want simple-minded?  Here's simple minded: "It's not one of us!  Kill it!"

Sound familiar?

At one time I would have said that the only way to prevent EA from slipping into a fundamentalist atheist orgy is for the good people to stay.  But what good is an honest atheist if he can be browbeaten into conforming to the rest of the militant extremists?

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
This particular exchange wasn't at EA.  If you can believe it, these people are far more ornery.  EA is just nasty individuals.  This place is like a wolf pack.  One jumps you and the others bring you down.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
My guess was EA too silentknight. Sounds just like some of the last exchanges I saw there.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
Oh right, I just noticed the "AN" in there.  So that was at Atheist Network, eh?  I'm still not surprised.  Raving Atheist is just as bad, which is why I left early last year.  99% of the members there were of the mindset that any form of religious tolerance is tantamount to agreement, religion was equated with and referred to as a mental illness, and all theists were generalized as being just as evil or as guilty as the extremists.  I felt like I was joining some kind of militant hate group, rather than an atheist community.

The whole reason I LEFT religion behind in the first place was because of all the people fighting and spreading hatred and prejudice over religious differences.  This kind of bullshit makes me sick.

Abandoned_Mind

Abandoned_Mind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Raving Atheist is just as bad, which is why I left early last year.  99% of the members there were of the mindset that any form of religious tolerance is tantamount to agreement, religion was equated with and referred to as a mental illness, and all theists were generalized as being just as evil or as guilty as the extremists.  I felt like I was joining some kind of militant hate group, rather than an atheist community.

The whole reason I LEFT religion behind in the first place was because of all the people fighting and spreading hatred and prejudice over religious differences.  This kind of bullshit makes me sick.

I completely understand your point of view.

Me too with RA.
Also RationalResponders, but not as bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users