Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Blogs] Myth: Atheists are Making a Tactical Mistake by Insulting Religious Theists

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Hank

Hank

Hank is a 'bot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
Myth: Atheists are Making a Tactical Mistake by Insulting Religious Theists An increasing popular criticism of atheists today is that they are too rude and insulting to religious theists

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Having spent a substantial part of my career parodying religious figures from my own Christian background, I am aghast at the notion that it could, in effect, be made illegal to imply ridicule of a religion or to lampoon religious figures. I have always believed that there should be no subject about which one cannot make jokes, religion included. Clearly, one is always constricted by contemporary mores and trends because, after all, what one seeks above all is an appreciative audience. For telling a good and incisive religious joke, you should be praised. For telling a bad one, you should be ridiculed and reviled. The idea that you could be prosecuted for the telling of either is quite fantastic.

--

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
Being made fun of is one of the few things religion is good for.  Wait, did I just make fun of religion?  Why, yes I did.

There's nothing wrong with poking fun at others if you apply the same standard to everything, including yourself.  I mean, even atheists have those among them that could use a good lampooning (and you all know the type that I'm talking about).  Furthermore, there's a huge difference between mockery and intolerance.  Most moral atheists are the leading advocates of religious tolerance in the first place, owing largely to the fact that we see no real difference between one superstitious belief and another.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Being made fun of is one of the few things religion is good for.  Wait, did I just make fun of religion?  Why, yes I did.

There's nothing wrong with poking fun at others if you apply the same standard to everything, including yourself.  I mean, even atheists have those among them that could use a good lampooning (and you all know the type that I'm talking about).  Furthermore, there's a huge difference between mockery and intolerance.  Most moral atheists are the leading advocates of religious tolerance in the first place, owing largely to the fact that we see no real difference between one superstitious belief and another.

Where I would disagree is with the last sentence.  There is, indeed, a large difference between superstitious beliefs.  Santa Claus, rally hats and my lucky Red Sox shirt are not guilty of countless millions of deaths and do not contribute to our world's current dilemmas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users