Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What do you do, if anything to replace religion?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Is there something that fits into your life in the way religion might?

What are your core beliefs?

Val

Val

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I like this question. There's the age old argument from religious folks where they say, "If I'm wrong, what have I lost? If you're wrong, what have you lost?"

Instead of focusing on trying to love an invisible creature, I focus in on loving my friends and family and enjoying my hobbies. I also try to grow as a person...learn about the world around me. I feel bad that I'm not volunteering right now, because I used to do quite a bit of it, but, well, that was in the days where I wasn't commuting for over two hours a day. Maybe once I move (and after my exam), I'll have more time.

I do waste enough of my life on things like tv and crap. I don't need to waste even more of it focusing in on something that doesn't even exist. (at least the tv really DOES love me back...I mean, Tivo even knows what I like! :D)

Dax

Dax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
[quote name='"Val"]I like this question. There's the age old argument from religious folks where they say' date=' "If I'm wrong, what have I lost? If you're wrong, what have you lost?"[/quote']

Ah! Pascal's Wager! How flawed it is! Here's the article I wrote about the wager on Ethical Atheist and the same article on my own website.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
As I slipped quietly away from christianity and back to the faith of my people I really never noticed a change. One day I just seemed to notice that the reverence and faith I had in a jewish prophet and an omnipresent God, had been replaced by a respect for nature, a commonality with it's creatures and a love for the desert, woods and seas. I feel no different other than a relief that I no longer have to try and appease some amorphis blob in the sky. Now my "God" is a verb. The ever changing, ever evolving and always beautiful natural world.

"There is no line, where my bare feet end and the good earth begins."

Val

Val

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
[quote name='"Dax"][quote="Val"]I like this question. There's the age old argument from religious folks where they say' date=' "If I'm wrong, what have I lost? If you're wrong, what have you lost?"[/quote']

Ah! Pascal's Wager! How flawed it is! Here's the article I wrote about the wager on Ethical Atheist and the same article on my own website.[/quote]

:D Love it!!!!

Dax

Dax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

:D Love it!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sandy

Sandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationN.W. Phoenix
I have had a lifelong search for inner peace. Competing in school was great fun but stressful. Getting married and raising my family was thrilling but way too stressful. Going back to work when my husband left was a terrible grind but necessary and stressful. I made some pretty good investments and managed to retire with a small but adeqate income. No stress! hell, I miss the stimulation of stress.

What kept me going through all these things? Don't laugh and I'll tell you. It was my love of classical music. I had to make long drives on the Los Angeles freeway system but listened to beautiful music from my tape deck. I was able to arrive calmly and return home the same way.

I'm not a television watcher and after my fill of news in the morning, I will turn on my XM radio on the classical music station and stay there until the 5 PM news. So much of my life has been given a sound track of my own choosing that I tend to miss it when my music is not available.

It is painful for me to shop in the super market because the sound track is full of violence and screaming women who have yet to find a singable key. The television commercials are designed for shock and it is no surprise to me that our kids are nervous and unable to focus on much. I search out CDs to keep in my car that will get me through the horrible traffic of Phoenix and the wayward drivers in my own Sun City. There must be a magnet wave problem here that has turned off all the direction singnals of the cars. As long as I have Brahms in my car, I can cope.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Sandy
No ones going to laugh at you for liking a certain type of music. If it brings you any pleasure in this world these days, more power to you. I love my XM radios. Great variety, comedy, baseball.
I see you are from Phoenix. Just got back from your area a couple weeks ago. Spring training in Peoria and a Pow Wow with the Hopis up towards Flagstaff.

Axiom

Axiom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUSA

What kept me going through all these things? Don't laugh and I'll tell you. It was my love of classical music.

Sandy - my mind is calmed and stimulated by classical music as well, although not the wishy-washy kind. Music, the stimulater of your subconscious to bring out the intended emotions that the composer had in mind. That very fact is why mall music drains so much, there is no value in it, mostly nihilistic minds create that drivel, therefore it becomes so offensive.

I never thought about "replacing" religion, I never had any. So there was never a void to fill. I actually pitied the poor slaves of religion, trying to buy a place in heaven with their perfect attendance scores in church. To me it all seemed like a carnival, costumes and odd behavior.

The amazing thing to me seems, looking back at my childhood, how fanatically I argued with believing children. The parents of those children actually crossed themselves and mumbled something when they met me in the street. I always just laughed. What a ride!

But all in all, looking back on my life now, I am so happy I chose to be an a-mystic early on. Since I knew way back then that there was only this one life, I have packed it full with life. To the rim with acquired values and living accordingly. Every moment is precious and I treat every day as if it were my last.

Axiom

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
When I first realized I no longer believed in the Big Lie, I continued for a while to search for meaning in the universe. I considered (and still do) the Earth to be a living organism that is evolving to a point where it can reproduce, using us as, well, a sort of sperm. I've also toyed with some pantheistic ideas, and gave some thought to the concept of an evolving god, meaning the universe is in the process of becoming God. We, if we survive, would eventually make up most, or at least a significant portion, of this future God, depending on how many other intelligent life forms in the universe would also participate in its make-up.

I've since given up pretty much all of that (except for the Gaia idea). I realize now that it won't do me a bit of good one way or the other, since I'll just die and never know how it all turns out. So now I just do whatever I can to keep boredom at bay, keeping myself occupied with those things that interest me. I guess some might say I'm just waiting to die, but I don't feel that way. I'm just living my life, and not worrying about those possible futures that I can never hope to participate in.

And I do so enjoy bashing religious notions! Even the Gaia stuff I don't consider to be religious, since I don't ascribe any mind-like qualities to the Earth, any more than an amoeba has intelligence, but it still strives to reproduce. I do think that the human specie might become very much like a planetary mind for the Earth, if we'd just get our shit together.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
The Gaia concept appeals to me too, for the same reasons. But I must be more cynical than you, because I don't see humanity in the role of favorite son of the planet. I think of the human race more in terms of an annoying skin infection on the surface of an otherwise very lovely planet.

if we'd just get our shit together.

I see no sign that this is even remotely possible, let alone likely. I think the human race is deeply flawed, and craves nothing more than death and destruction.

Religion certainly forms the means by which our collective death wish is expressed, but religions are so deeply entrenched in human life that I think a cure is extremely unlikely.

Earth will abide, with or without us. More easily without us it would seem. Maybe at some future time intelligent life will evolve on this planet.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,523 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
Sleep in.

I hope to add "wild, passionate SEX" to that, :snork_lach: but i've got 4 decades of Catholic brainwashing to purge. As you know, in the Catholic Church, only priests and politicians are allowed to have sex, or even to know what sex is. (OK, so they grudgingly permit it within sacramental (sorry, Steve) marriage, but it's still a sin if you do it without reflecting upon the child you're conceiving.) And like a damn idiot, i believed them. :snork_shot: Now i just need to figure out how to start purging.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
Yes Cousin Ricky, we are both recovering Catholics. They certainly are quite good at filling up your head with harmful and self-hating ideas.

It's bad enough, I'm sure, for those with a majority sexual orientation. For folks like myself, well, I was well into my 30s before I even began to face up to my identity.

It sure would be nice if our species outgrew religious elusions. I guess education is our best hope.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users