Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Blogs] Myth: Fundamentalist Atheists Lack a Sense of the Mysterious and Beautiful

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Hank

Hank

Hank is a 'bot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
Myth: Fundamentalist Atheists Lack a Sense of the Mysterious and Beautiful It's not a coincidence that allegedly 'fundamentalist' atheism is being paired with science here because this is basically the same complaint which some religious theists - and perhaps some of... http://atheism.about.../b/a/258756.htm

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Silly. That's the word that comes to mind after reading this article. There is so much about this world that we don't understand that anyone who thinks in their lifetime that they have or will have all the answers is not only a fool, but an ignorant fool. Saint, sinner or one of us, there is enough beauty and mystery in a speck of dust to keep a thirsty imagination busy for hours. And be that so, can you imagine how many lifetimes it would take to understand and become bored with the Grand Canyon, the cosmos, each other? My only regret wll be that my time on this earth is so short, that I will not be able to absorb any more.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Silly. That's the word that comes to mind after reading this article. There is so much about this world that we don't understand that anyone who thinks in their lifetime that they have or will have all the answers is not only a fool, but an ignorant fool. Saint, sinner or one of us, there is enough beauty and mystery in a speck of dust to keep a thirsty imagination busy for hours. And be that so, can you imagine how many lifetimes it would take to understand and become bored with the Grand Canyon, the cosmos, each other? My only regret wll be that my time on this earth is so short, that I will not be able to absorb any more.

And where is it written that having the answer diminishes the beauty?  I trust the scientific evidence that the Grand Canyon was created by the running of the Colorado River over millions of years.  Does that mean that I am somehow unable or unworthy of admiring its grandeur?

When I see a Harvest moon, I don't start doing equations about light refraction off dust particles...I just say "Wow!"  Fundies just don't seem to understand that.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
This sounds like a false cause fallacy.  It is human beings' natural wonder that lead to supernatural belief, not the other way around.

I actually have what would best be described as an active fantasy life, which would encompass my creativity, curiosity, imagination, and my natural sense of wonder.  In fact, my favorite fictional stories are supernaturally themed.  The way I see it, religion ruins one's sense of mystery or beauty, because instead of allowing you to appreciate art, or literature, or nature for what they are, religion forces you to conform to one very specific and narrow interpretation.  Religion takes what would otherwise be somewhat decent mythology and tells you that you must believe in it literally, or else.

It is precisely because I can imagine something far greater than some primitive heathen-killing tribal war deity that I could never allow my views to be limited by religiosity.  I could come up with plenty of better things to believe in than Jehovah.  I could probably write a better creation story and narrate a better mythology without even trying.

Those who can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality tend not to have a very good grasp of either.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
In the words of Captain Barbosa, "I think we have an accord." :snork_lach:

Abandoned_Mind

Abandoned_Mind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

methodical scrutiny removes magic, mystery, and beauty from the world.

How did beauty make this list?

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts

How did beauty make this list?

I was kind of wondering that myself AM. I suppose the mystery / magic thing could be rationalized to a tiny degree, but beauty? Didn't know you had to be a religious zombie to appreciate beautiful things?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users