Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Blogs] Myth: Religion is Central to Human Existence, Everyone Is Religious

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Hank

Hank

Hank is a 'bot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
Myth: Religion is Central to Human Existence, Everyone Is Religious For some religious theists, their religion and religious beliefs are so important to them that they can't imagine anyone being without a religion of some sort. For such people, religion... http://atheism.about.../b/a/258774.htm

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest

a religion of some sort.

I suppose this is true to some extent, but it's the definition here that is really in question. Some folks might use alcohol or drugs, even food could be a religion of some sort. but if they are saying a person has to have a figurehead they worship, that's just plain nonsense. My old man was the most hardcore atheist I have ever known, and as far as I knew he had no real vices or weaknesses other than being an asshole, which as we all know there are on both sides of the aisle. :snork_lach:

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
Spirituality and religiosity are two different things.  The same is true for ideas vs. beliefs.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

What is the difference?  I have heard people say "I am not religious but I am "spiritual".  What does that mean?

As I understand it, a religion is an organized set of beliefs in supernatural and therefore imaginary beings, while spiritual refers to an experience, attitude, or practice that provides a powerful sensation and sense of well being.  For me, looking at the Grand Canyon is a spiritual experience.  Thinking a boogeyman created it 6,432 years, 5 months, and 8 days ago would be a religion.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
What he said.

I consider myself a very spiritual man but I shy away from religion. Religion is scripted and performed where being spiritual is a natural reaction.

My grandma was a shaman and a healer. She did not follow a certain set of guidelines or pray to a sky daddy. But she did raise her hands in thanks and in gratitude for those things unexplained that gave her the knowledge to help people and cure sickness.

One of my fondest and most important memories is when I was considered a lost cause by doctors and the hospital called upon the chaplain to perform communion. My Mother flew into a total rage and my family literally carried me out of the hospital and took me to Hazel for healing. I remember being in the sweat lodge for hours and hours. I remember her singing and cutting sage and blowing the smoke towards me. I remember her eyes full of tears and the sweat flowing from her forehead. 24 hours later I walked out of the lodge. I still had a broken ankle, a skull fracture and all kinds of wounds, but my spirit was healed and the rest would follow.

She was the most spiritually rooted person I have ever known. As we say, "There was no line where her feet met the ground."

Try to imagine all the feelings that a faith or religion could give you, without a God or figurehead. Sometimes I feel so damn lucky to be allowed to grow up following my own path instead of being forced into a religion. Sorry about running on so but it took me years to figure it out and it is so exciting to understand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users