Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Episcopalians Would Rejoin Roman Catholic Church: proposal

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Churches back plan to unite under Pope
Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent

Radical proposals to reunite Anglicans with the Roman Catholic Church under the leadership of the Pope are to be published this year, The Times has learnt.

The proposals have been agreed by senior bishops of both churches.

In a 42-page statement prepared by an international commission of both churches, Anglicans and Roman Catholics are urged to explore how they might reunite under the Pope.

(story)

---

Got gay problems?  Call Papa Nazi, we gets rid of gays fast!

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Another remarkably stupid idea by our friends in the vatican. Perhaps it is the falling away of members that they are trying to stop. More likely so many catholics have left out of safety for their young sons that the bishops are looking at all them little anglican boys as a fresh crop for the priests.

Either way, there would always be the holdouts that will form a new "Epistolpalian" church and whine to get tax exempt status.

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
I am, on paper at least, an Anglican.

Many of those Anglicans who object most strongly to gay ordination also oppose the ordination of women priests.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, if it's that end of the Communion wants to piss off back to Rome then let 'em.

It has been drawn up by the International Anglican-Roman Catholic Commission for Unity and Mission, which is chaired by the Right Rev David Beetge, an Anglican bishop from South Africa, and the Most Rev John Bathersby, the Catholic Archbishop of Brisbane, Australia.

Well indeed. Whoever came up with this proposal seems to have forgotten the origins of the Church of England/Anglicanism. The Anglican church has different views on many things-- like the Immaculate Conception and papal infallibility-- that would render reunion impossible. If the Church of England were under Rome then our monarch would be Catholic, and a subject of the Pope, which is not allowed.

Do these stupid fundies hate gays and women priests so much they would kowtow to papal oppression and stupid doctrines? Rome has ideas that even the Mormons have problems beating in terms of silliness... are they seriously saying they would de-frock all the lady priests and gay vicars that we have accumulated? It's a complete pile of crap. There's so many things wrong with the proposal I could bore you all silly but I won't.

It's just the latest evidence that for large sections of "Christianity" prejudice against gays and women is more important than the very articles of their faith...

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts

It's just the latest evidence that for large sections of "Christianity" prejudice against gays and women is more important than the very articles of their faith...

I've noticed that too :-)

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
In case anyone cares, the Anglican church is built on the "Thirty Nine Articles" which have been in existence since the 16th century.

Here are just a few that a reunification with Rome would violate:

VI. Of the Sufficiency of the Holy Scripture for Salvation
(Rome holds that Tradition and ex cathedra declarations by the Pope are equally valid sources of revelation)

XV. Of Christ Alone without Sin
(Not the Blessed Virgin Mary, just Jesus.. we have no truck with the Immaculate Conception which is a Victorian innovation)

XVI. Of Sin after Baptism
(This one is a bit technical as it's a distinction between kinds of sin... essentially we think baptised people can commit all kinds of sins, and receive forgiveness for them)

XXII. Of Purgatory
(We absolutely don't buy it)

XXV. Of the Sacraments
(We have less than them)

XXXII. Of the Marriage of Priests
(We let 'em)

XXVIII. Of the Lord's Supper
(we don't believe in Transubstantiation but Rome believes that during Communion the bread and wine are ACTUALLY the body and blood of Christ)

But... I don't suppose any of that matters when it's a chance to keep those nasty poofs out of the church, innit? :roll:

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts

Rome believes that during Communion the bread and wine are ACTUALLY the body and blood of Christ)

GROSS!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts
They never seem to want to explain why people with celiac disease react as they do to eating wheat after having a communion wafer.  If it was really human flesh there would be no gluten and a celiac should not react t it.

So how about that, Jesus-Eaters?

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
Be it flesh or wheaties I aint about to eat nuthin thats suppose to be a body. Only sick, sick, sick muthafukas can do that without gagging. I went to a catholic funeral and had to leave when everybody started munchin body parts and drinking bloody wine. Fuck! How goddam primitive does it get?

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
This is an interesting story. I expect the Anglicans will simply have a schism over it, that's what usually happens,- one side says "Well, we'll just take our religion and go elsewhere with it, and the rest of y'all can go to Hell!"

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Rome believes that during Communion the bread and wine are ACTUALLY the body and blood of Christ)

GROSS!

You and this fellow seem to have that in common:

It was communion time, where you eat this wafer and are supposed to be eating the body of Christ and drinking his blood. My first impression was, 'This is a bunch of cannibals they've put me down among!'....It wasn't until I was beginning to do Star Trek that the subject of religion arose again....People were saying that I would have to have a chaplain aboard the Enterprise. I replied, 'No, we don't.'

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts

This is an interesting story. I expect the Anglicans will simply have a schism over it, that's what usually happens,- one side says "Well, we'll just take our religion and go elsewhere with it, and the rest of y'all can go to Hell!"

And then the killing, and "the troubles", and the Jeebus told me to kill you.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I figure that's just the icing on the cake the them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users