Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

UK To Start Troop Withdrawals from Iraq

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,831 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Tony Bliar is expected to announce on Wed Feb 21 that the UK will begin a rapid withdrawal of troops from Vietraq.

Lisa Simpson

Lisa Simpson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Denmark and perhaps Lithuania, too.

Such a disaster and waste of life.

Seti

Seti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Blair is smarter than Bush.

Well, that's damning with faint praise - there are small aphids on the leaves on my roses which is smarter than Bush.

What always intrigued me, given that Blair is indeed considerably smarter than Bush, is how Bush got him to roll over for a tummy rub. I suspect it was the photos of Cherie with the donkey.
:farao:

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Denmark and perhaps Lithuania, too.

I heard on the radio that Denmark would be pulling its troops out - all 640 of 'em. But when I watched Keith Olberman a while ago, he gave a list of the countries left in the coalition of the dwindling, and I couldn't find Denmark on it. I may've just missed it though, he didn't show it for long. I also heard Deadeye Dick gave it a positive spin, saying that it proves that progress is being made in some parts of Iraq. What a weenie!

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest

I also heard Deadeye Dick gave it a positive spin, saying that it proves that progress is being made in some parts of Iraq.

Hmmmmm? If progress is being made how come the shrub wants to send another 20000 over?  Are they suppose to be the mop up crew or what?

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Nope, just more cannon fodder for the up-coming Iran war. Once he's got his foot in the door with this "surge" thing, he'll be in a position to continue requisitioning troops for an indefinite period. It'll be considered "precedence", or something.

Lisa Simpson

Lisa Simpson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Here's a list of the "Coalition of the Willing":

http://en.wikipedia....l_force_in_Iraq

Denmark currently has 460 troops, under the command of the Brits, so it makes sense for them to skedaddle too. Lithuania has 53 people in Iraq.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Maybe the UK just wants to have its troops out of Iraq before the Prince has to deploy there.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Maybe the UK just wants to have its troops out of Iraq before the Prince has to deploy there.

As foolhardy as I believe the young fellow is, its nice to see one member of these royal/politician's families stand up and walk the walk.  I'm sure ultimately the main goal is to have this on a Curriculum Vitae 20 years from now, but its still refreshing to have at least one child of privilege not just watch other people's kids go off to fight.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'm sure ultimately the main goal is to have this on a Curriculum Vitae 20 years from now,

In 20 years, it may well be the case that he won't want it on his Curriculum Vitae.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

I'm sure ultimately the main goal is to have this on a Curriculum Vitae 20 years from now,

In 20 years, it may well be the case that he won't want it on his Curriculum Vitae.

I don't know.  Cynically speaking, he's in a good position to benefit from our little jaunt to the fabulous Middle East.  He's not a policymaker, he's not a loudmouth, and he's far too young to be stained by any potential political fallout.

I could see this working for him in 20 years the way the Vietnam Vets are being rewarded now in the political arena (and rightly so).  By the time he's ready to make a real political move, he will be remembered as a patriot who answered his country's call.  The fact that this particular call is a disaster on several levels will be someday forgotten in the context of his service.

No, I think today's hacks will pay with their political lives, but the next wave will have the added muscle of having served their country faithfully, ill advised or not.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Yeah, I see what you mean FE, and you're probably right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users