Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Science Helps..but too late for my friend

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Early this month Governor Perry of Texas bypassed the state legislature and mandated vaccinating all girls entering sixth grade against the HPV virus which can cause cervical cancer unless their parents opt out in writing. It is a deadly form of cancer in women. Conservatives were in uproar that this would lead to more sex.  Others said he was in Mercks hands. Still others thought he was trying to distance himself from his conservative base for a vice-presidential run.
A column about it was featured on the Dawkins page. HERE

Early this week there were hearings in Austin about it.  A young woman who is dying of the cancer testified in favor of the vaccine. HERE

Last October I posted about a friend of my daughter calling me.  Heather is the friend of my daughter.

I am trying to be a friendly atheist.....

How does one as an atheist give comfort to those of faith? 
I had a call the other night from a school friend of my daughter's.  The caller was a young lady of 30 and she said she had lost contact with my daughter and wanted desperately to speak to her.  After visiting with her a short time she revealed that she had cancer and was in hospice and had about 6 months to live and wanted to talk to old friends.  Of course it was an emotional conversation on both sides. I said how sorry I was and we talked a bit of old times when the kids were young. After a bit she said the only thing that was sustaining her was her faith in god.  She knew that although he hadn't healed her now he would heal her later.
I didn't say anything "ugly" and she didn't ask me to pray for her etc. If it made her feel good it was OK with me.  But I couldn't really think of much to say.  I know I have said in the past to others who have lost loved ones.."oh they will be with god and in a better place etc etc."  Not that I actually believed it, but it was just part of the ritual. I no longer say those kind of things. But I just couldn't think of anything to say to this poor girl.

Now, I am not looking for any talking points on how to console a believer, because I know it has to come from the heart and be sincere. And perhaps the less said is better too.  But perhaps someone has some thoughts.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
I've been to more funerals in the last year than I'd care to count, naturally you are always surrounded with people that are afflicted with religious beliefs at such an event.

I just stay completely off the subject of religion and talk about things the deceased did while they were alive.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I still find it hard to believe that the Christian politicos could agitate against the use of this vaccine. It just boggles my mind!  :snork_shok:

These people must be removed from the corridors of power, or we're all doomed.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
Oh yes, let's USE deadly viruses as a way to punish women for being promiscuous.

But just to even things out, we should also go around and forcibly castrate all conservative Christians who oppose the HPV vaccine.  It's not to prevent them from having sex, mind you, I just think it would be funny as hell.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Jesus seems to've liked eunuchs:

Mat 19:11-12 [quote]

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
There is a simple solution to this problem and I wish someone in power would propose it.

Allow anyone who wants to, opt out of the vaccine, but, they must sign a waiver that if their daughters should develop cervical cancer at anytime in their lives, the parents will hold the financial responsibility (Not their health insurance or the state) for the treatment of that cancer. If they are "good" parents and their little angels grow up hymen-in-tac and marry a little dry-dicked baptist boy then all ill be well and fine. If their little darlings should however turn out like many good little christian teenagers and fuck like a pack of nymphoid rabbits then they were obviously "bad" parents and the consequences are Gods punishment for not beating their kids on a routine, daily basis. See? Problem solved! :snork_lach:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts
I'm really annoyed with the idiots that claim this vaccine would promote promiscuity.  I think what is really going on in their little hairball clogged craniums is that they can't bear the thought of their little girl having sex someday.  Since this vaccine is intended to combat a virus that is transmitted by sexual activity, then letting their little girl have this vaccine suggests that they might have sex some day.  And these morons equate acknowledging that something might happen with encouraging it to happen.

To the extent that buying flood insurance causes floods, this vaccine certainly will cause innocent little Daddy's girls to become raving slut Madonna  fans.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

The only thought that crosses my mind is have they done long term studies on any possible adverse side effect(s) resulting from this vaccine?  Personally, I am very "pro" vaccine but still want to be informed of long term research involved.  I recently learned that there is a new shingles vaccine available and I will be looking into that and probably get that vaccine soon.

I agree that one should move slowly and cautiously when something new comes up. I really hope this is a good vaccine.  Perhaps it could have been introduced better than demanding that girls get it. Nobody likes to be told what to do. I hope the Texas legislature comes up with a plan to encourage people looking into it though. I think it is expensive and didn't read of funding for it.

I feel so bad about my daughter's friend.  I was wrong that she testified... I think she was next in line before the time was over.  But at least she was written up.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'm really annoyed with the idiots that claim this vaccine would promote promiscuity.  I think what is really going on in their little hairball clogged craniums is that they can't bear the thought of their little girl having sex someday.   Since this vaccine is intended to combat a virus that is transmitted by sexual activity, then letting their little girl have this vaccine suggests that they might have sex some day.  And these morons equate acknowledging that something might happen with encouraging it to happen.

I wonder how many of those parents actually warn their children of the risk? How many tell their kids that having sex might lead to cervical cancer? Not many, I'd bet.

To the extent that buying flood insurance causes floods, this vaccine certainly will cause innocent little Daddy's girls to become raving slut Madonna  fans.

Why don't they understand that the more they focus on sex, the more their kids will be curious about sex. Especially in the sex-saturated culture we live in. It's everywhere, from advertisements to sit-coms to soap operas to movies. Unless you're Amish, then I guess you'd pretty much be insulated from that stuff. I wonder if the Amish masterbate?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts

Unless you're Amish, then I guess you'd pretty much be insulated from that stuff. I wonder if the Amish masterbate?

There are only two types of male humans, the ones that admit they masturbate and the ones that don't admit it.

And the Amish have some pretty interesting customs too.  Young males in their late teens are sort of allowed to run wild for a few years before they are expected to settle down and start towing the line.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I wonder how many of them move to LA instead, and start snorting the lines?

kellbing

kellbing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Unfortunately, warning girls about the risk of cervical cancer from having sex will deter them about as much as the risk of STD's and pregnancy do already.

The HPV vaccine (Gardasil) is quite expensive. In the doctor's office where I work, we charge $150.00 for the shot, plus $25.00 for administering it. Some insurances are covering it now, but we have parents willing to pay out-of-pocket for their girls to get it. Oh, and it is a series of 3 shots. That's $175.00 times three, totalling $525.00. Some parents really do care about their kids, after all.

I don't know about any long-term studies. I'm sure there probably aren't any. I guess you just have to weigh the risks. Cancer, or whatever side effects the vaccine may cause. How many possible side effects are worse than cancer? Of course, it doesn't prevent all types of cervical cancer, so it's not a guarantee, but it prevents about 70%. It also helps prevent those nasty genital warts.

Geez, do I sound like a TV ad or what? Anyway, I'm very pro-Gardasil. If I ever actually have a daughter, she will definitely be getting it.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Geez, do I sound like a TV ad or what? Anyway, I'm very pro-Gardasil. If I ever actually have a daughter, she will definitely be getting it.

The young girl I wrote about died just last week.  I had known her as a young teen friend of my daughter's.
It is very sad.

Good for you, kellbring.
So many things do come down to the $.

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts

The young girl I wrote about died just last week.  I had known her as a young teen friend of my daughter's.
It is very sad.

That sucks.  She died waaaay too young.  I'm sorry to hear this Lady.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
I am sorry too Lady. Heartache subsides, but never goes away.

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier
I'm so sorry, Lady. My condolences to you and your daughter.

Can adult women get vaccinated as well, kellbing? Hopefully by the time I want to get vaccinated, insurance companies will start paying at least part of the cost, because there's no way I can afford 525 bucks for a series of shots.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

I'm so sorry, Lady. My condolences to you and your daughter.

I think her death and a lot of others of course are tragic because something could have been done
about it.  You are right. The price is really terrible that it is out of reach for most. Even those who might
be able to afford might just not get vaccinated thinking...couldn't happen to me..etc.

My friend told me she had seen a doctor some time before this because of pain or such. But it was misdiagnosed until it was too late.  I don't what the follow up on this was. I remember her saying if the condition was found in time, it was treatable.  So it seems better education or even just education itself (to plain folks AND doctors) would catch a lot of this and other diseases too.

But then we wouldn't want to educate anybody would we?  :Sad:

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada
It's ridiculous that you should have to pay for a vaccine in the first place. This is why I like my health care system.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,621 posts

It's ridiculous that you should have to pay for a vaccine in the first place. This is why I like my health care system.

I could not agree more.  If nothing else, the insurance companies might consider it to be in their own best interests if fewer members get cancer.

The best way to get a corporation to do the right thing is to convince them it will increase their profit margin.

The concept of providing medical coverage to all people seems to me to promote a compassionate and caring attitude, instead of a profit motive.

Of course it is very Unamerican to place human values above corporate interests, True Americans realize that human beings are basically raw material for the glorious fascist corpo-government.

kellbing

kellbing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
It takes a while for the insurance companies to jump on board and start covering a new vaccine. I know some of them already are, but I'm not sure which ones.

As for adult women getting vaccinated: I don't think they have a set cut-off age or anything, but if you have already contracted the virus, the vaccine won't do you any good. I'm sure for older women, they would recommend being tested for the virus before you spend the money on the vaccine.

Hopefully, all of the insurance companies will be covering this very soon. It is definitely worthy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users