Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

[News] Westboro church protesters show up at soldier's funeral in Maryland

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Guest_News Bot_*

Guest_News Bot_*
  • Guests
Westboro church protesters show up at soldier's funeral in MarylandMore from the class act that is Westboro Baptist.http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252747,00.html

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
What if somebody attending one of these funerals decided to pop Phelps or one of his hypnohaters?  Let's imagine some muscular guy walks up to one of these inDUHviduals and punches them out.  Is there a court in the land that would convict them of a crime?  Certainly not in a jury trial.

It is true, they do have the right to do as they do, and certainly anyone that spews as much hatred as they do must be exceptionally pious.

But still, I'd just love to see them get beaten up once, or twice, or frequently.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

My point is that we can't start censoring them or we will all lose our freedom of speech.

Absolutely!  I do certainly agree.  Unpopular speech deserves the most rigorous observation of free speech rights, because freedom of speech is meaningless unless it applies equally to all.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

My point is that we can't start censoring them or we will all lose our freedom of speech.

Absolutely!  I do certainly agree.  Unpopular speech deserves the most rigorous observation of free speech rights, because freedom of speech is meaningless unless it applies equally to all.

Excellent points!  The Constitution protects even the most imbecilic and venomous of speech.  But then the Founding Fathers, in their wisdom, left un-addressed the possibility of said free speech resulting one or more punches in the mouth.  Sure, there may be legal ramifications to clobbering one of these disease-carriers, but at least they cannot claim their rights were compromised.  God Bless America!  God bless it, indeed!

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
Freedom of speech works both ways.  Just as much as the Phelps cult has a right to show up and spew their hate speech at soldiers' funerals, anyone else would have a right to organize a counter protest in their presence.  I wouldn't go so far as to punch them though, unless they act out violently first, since the Westboro church is about as litigious as the Church of Scientology.

For example, someone could show up wearing a Fred Phelps costume and start making out with an inflatable Jesus doll.  Or you can wave around a sign reading "God is Gay" or "God Loves Dick".  (Hey, there's plenty of proof for that in the bible.) :snork_lach:

Abandoned_Mind

Abandoned_Mind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
We should start a movement to gather a mass gay wedding at the Westboro Baptist Church!

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
I'm no quite so noble as you guys so if they come anywhere near my town I can guarantee they will be , shall we say,  affronted by some of the baddest Nam vets that filthy war ever produced. What are the police going to do to us that hasn't already been done? HA!

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
You guys are right.  Violence is no answer.  But even knowing that.... Hank forbid one of my cousins or nephews comes home under a flag and those shitheels show up.  Someone is going down, plain and simple.  If that happens, getting away with only a punch in the mouth will be a bargain, I guarantee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users