Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Blogs] Myth: Atheism is Caused by False Religion, Bad Experiences with Bad Religions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Hank

Hank

Hank is a 'bot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
Myth: Atheism is Caused by False Religion, Bad Experiences with Bad Religions Religious theists sometimes try to dismiss atheism and atheists by claiming that people only become atheists due to bad experiences as kids with false or bad religions. This myth allows... http://atheism.about.../b/a/258783.htm

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
It was true for me, although not to the same extent as others, who have likely had much worse experiences than I have.  Besides, my beliefs were liberal Christian / deist / agnostic for a while before I decided to use the term "atheist", since my views were most consistent with atheism.

What does this say about the kinds of people making such a claim?  Is this their way of implying, once again, that their views are superior to all others because they don't produce atheists?  Some bad religionists never change...

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest

bad religionists

Aren't these groupies for a metal band? :snork_lach:

Actually the term Bad religion would imply there are Good Religions and there in lies a debate in itself.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Actually the term Bad religion would imply there are Good Religions and there in lies a debate in itself.

Think of it as if you were addressing all religions collectively in the way you might train a dog.

If Lassie is being naughty, you might say "Bad Lassie!", well religion has been very naughty.  I think it should go sit in the corner for a timeout.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts

Think of it as if you were addressing all religions collectively in the way you might train a dog.

Steve. I really wish you would be more sensitive about this dog busness. Belle is again in a huff about the above statement. She want's you to know that you have it all backwards. While her and her kind lay around all day in the sun and eat and drink at will, us humans spend hours and hours at work to support them doing just that. Who is training who?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Ooops, I must have put the cart in front of the horse again.  Poor Belle, sorrrry.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
It's perfectly acceptable to insult horses as they are stupid. Belle.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Belle is again in a huff about the above statement.

Well, that's what you get for teaching her how to read!  :Wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users