Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I am hyperventilating and sweating.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
I just received an email with a site reference. http://kids4truth.co...aker/watch.html
It came from an old high school friend I have recently been in touch with.  It made me so mad.  I mean the presentation is really cute and good and colorful..nice poem..soft voice.  Just the type to hook kids.  It also has a link to another site wihich butters up all the more.

I got so upset (it really is the fault of this forum  :snork_lach:  I get charged up.  :snork_tanz:)  So I sent a return to all the addressees.  My friend doesnt' know how to bcc.

Here is what I wrote back:

But who made the watchmaker? There are lots of watch makers out there. In fact all through history and probably before there have been thousands of so called watchmakers. Each seem to be fighting each other to see who can be the top watch maker. How many have been slaughtered in the name of the watchmaker.
Makes me sick to see children taught this stuff as the truth.

I don't really know any of the others.  Maybe they will delete before opening.  But after I clicked and sent, I thought...oh heck with it...I shouldn't have been so impulsive and I am still shaking.

Where else can I share but here?  :Sad:  My husband's gonna pull the plug.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Take it easy Lady or you are going to blow a gasket. Here's a little Bible passage that you can send to your friends who have children or grandchildren, showing what a loving merciful forgiving God they are worshipping and teaching their children about.

2 Kings 2:23-24 NKJV

Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up the road, some youths came from the city and mocked him, and said to him,

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Oh yes, that was the all loving God of Mercy!  He's a real charmer.

Lady,

As long as there are human beings on this planet, there will be stupid human beings.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

As long as there are human beings on this planet, there will be stupid human beings.

And unfortunately, stupid seems to be the default setting for most.

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
Watches are not living things, therefore they cannot be analogized to biological organisms.  Has anyone ever observed two watches mating and producing little watches on their own?  Of course not.  Argument from watchmaker = debunked.

And I didn't even have to go into the fallacy of special pleading. :roll:

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Posted ImageI knew everyone would come charging to my rescue. Posted Image

In fact my friend wrote this back: How true!  Thanks for writing back on this one that was forwarded to me.  Glad I don't have to make the decision to teach it, aren't you!!

Maybe another one in the closet?  :snork_tanz: :snork_tanz:

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I too get furious at the thought of all the brainwashing that goes on.

I wonder if religious idiocy could have a Darwinian component? The intelligent people eventually see through the brainwashing, and don't teach their kids to be religious. The stupid ones, on the other hand, will stay in the religion and then teach it to their kids, who probably also won't be smart enough to see through the BS, and so will theach it to their kids, etc.

Please don't let hubby pull the plug, lady! We want to keep you around as long as we can.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Actually I kind of like watching brainwashing. I guess it's kind of a morbid fascination I have. I have always been fascinated by people like Jim Jones and David Koresh. I don't condone or approve of the things they have done, but I have seen a lot of different techniques for overpowering an individual or group of people and find the subject very interesting. If you get a chance to see the movie "Jesus Camp", it will blow your mind. It is sad and even dispicable, but also fascinating and one of those things that you abhor, but can't take your eyes off.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts
As Dawkins explains it, religion is a virus that exploits a survival mechanism in humans.

When human spawn are very young they are prone to accidentally harming themselves. Toddlers will touch something hot.  Eventually the ones that survive learn that they must absolutely trust Mommy and Daddy when they say "DON'T TOUCH, HOT!"

Unfortunately Mommy and Daddy teach their children all about the local culturally preferred fairy tales. And the kids buy it hook line and sinker. The really successful religious infections include a foolproof mechanism which declares that anyone who questions or tries to tamper with the religious infestation is the enemy, a heretic, and must be put to death.

So as soon as somebody begins to question the parental disinformation the afflicted person immediately disregards the source of reason and logic.  This explains the fear and animosity that persons suffering from a religious affliction display when confronted with dangerous, fact-based world views like science promotes. 

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Please don't let hubby pull the plug, lady! We want to keep you around as long as we can.

Nah...as long as I am on the computer he knows I am not out $$$$$ing. :snork_aber:

In this article Mr. Cline makes these observations.

"Be Public about your Atheism:
Atheists will never make a difference in anything if people are unaware of anyone being an atheist. This seems obvious, but it has to be pointed out because so many are in the closet about being godless. "

I'm with ya, Austin!

Update on the friend I sent email to. She asked me to send her some sites where she could read about atheism.  So I am doing my part about being public with the fact.  :Smiley:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts
Lady, you are so cool! 

If you were a gay man I might say "You go, gurl!"

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Lady, you are so cool! 

If you were a gay man I might say "You go, gurl!"

I'm laughing!!!  I think Ungodly is cool!

It's those curls, gurls.  I agree. He's clever, cute and cool. Posted Image

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts
There is a psychological process at work here that is called compartmentalization.  It allows good Christian men and women to make nukular weapons all day long, then go home and love their families.  It allowed German soldiers to go to Roman Catholic Mass in the morning, where of course the Nazi flag was on display next to the altar, then show up for their shift at Dachau.

You know the expression "Let not the right hand know what the left hand doeth?"  Well, humans have this massive defect that allows them to believe one thing while doing something that is completely contradictory - and all without any psychic distress at all.

Perhaps there is intelligent life somewhere in the Universe, if there is, it is easy to understand why they might choose to avoid contact with such a deeply defective species as we are.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
That's a very good question, Storybook, and I wish I had some inkling of an answer, but I'm stymied, baffled, flabbergassted. In other words, I haven't a clue!

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Storybook, I wonder this all the time too. Especially in this time when information is so readily available.
I can understand if people never had access to different opinions,arguments data etc that they just continue believing the same old rot.  But with computers it is so easy to find things. And things pop up even if you aren't looking for them. That's really what happened to me.
My question too is ....why me? I'm not dumb but no genius either.  I never sat down and contemplated the stars. I never had a deep emotional upheaval about not believing.  I can't stand reading all that philosophical stuff. I like the sites and books that just give some everyday scientific reasons why a god is rather iffy. I don't know why it was so easy for me to drop the faith.  I can understand that compartmentalization though.  Do it all the time at the dinner table.  Posted Image

Somebody sent me some Depends and I changed the subject title of this post.  If nobody understand what I mean...that's OK.  Maybe somebody will send me some deodorant so I can stop sweating too. Posted Image

Lacy

Lacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationTexas
My mom said one single sentence once that made me understand why at least she believes. She said, "there have been times in my life when I don't know what I would have done if I thought I was alone and god didn't exist." That right there explains a lot. There are people that can't stand the thought of having complete control over their own lives. They would rather let part of their responsibilities be on "someone" else's shoulders, then admit to themselves that they are the one in control of their own life. I compare it to a stuffed monkey I had when I was little. I couldn't go anywhere without it and if someone tried to take it away from me, I would freak out. I think the same concept can be applied to theists. God is their security blanket.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Yeah, and I'd say that God is just about as useful as that stuffed monkey you had!  [smilie=happyspin.gif]

Lacy

Lacy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationTexas
Don't insult my poor monkey.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Uh, sorry, the monkey was probably more useful than any silly ol' God! :Wink:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,620 posts

The other day, I had a religious friend of mine tell me "I need a savior in my life".  She absolutely believes, without any doubt, that God hears all her prayers, guides her and answers all of her prayers. 

What a shame she does not feel empowered to be her own Savior.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users