Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I am hyperventilating and sweating.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I doubt it would do any good, since she probably believes that only Jesus can save her soul from eternal Hell-fire. I suppose it might be worth a try, though.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
There are many people who need to have someone or something to dump their problems on. Be it a God or a stuffed monkey makes no difference. It's when thy want YOU to worship their monkey is when I get pissed off.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Yeah, I'd much rather spank the monkey than pray to it!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Yeah, I'd much rather spank the monkey than pray to it!

If a child spanks the monkey, is that child abuse?

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I don't know, sounds more like monkey abuse, to me!

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America

The other day, I had a religious friend of mine tell me "I need a savior in my life".  She absolutely believes, without any doubt, that God hears all her prayers, guides her and answers all of her prayers.

What a shame she does not feel empowered to be her own Savior.

That's not too far off from what the gnostic religions (i.e. early Christianity) believed.  The Savior was not some otherworldly entity that had to be pursued, but rather something that needed to be sought and found within.  Naturally, the Church would have none of this, since if people started thinking for themselves and coming to their own conclusions, there'd be no need to listen to any organized religion, and their monopoly on 'salvation' would be pointless.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,616 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
You just reminded me of the time I was involved in a Bible Study group conducted by a Quaker Meeting I was attending at the time.

The gentleman who led the group discussions presented a very convincing argument that the fictional Jesus was fictionally talking about the Kingdom of Heaven being a state of mind, much like the state sought by those who meditate.  His point, which he presented in a very convincing way, was that Jebus was not talking about a location, but an inner peace that could be obtained only through radical rejection of worldly values.  It was Zen-like the way he described it.

Quakers never really caught on in this country because they are not dogmatic and they never advocate violence.  I'm not sure it can be legitimately called a religion, what with a body count of zero.

kellbing

kellbing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Uh, sorry, the monkey was probably more useful than any silly ol' God! :Wink:

At least the monkey can be proved.

devilman

devilman

Advanced Member