Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[News] All school religious holidays dropped

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Hank

Hank

Hank is a 'bot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
All school religious holidays droppedThe Hillsborough school calendar will not recognize any religious holidays next school year, but it will continue a traditional day off for students to attend the state fair.http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/28/Hillsborough/All_school_religious_.shtml

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
I was really glad to see the board had the smarts to drop religious holidays.  It often is a teacher's nightmare. It is only fair to all faiths or lack of to do away with all religious holidays for purpose of getting out of school.
What was especially interesting were the comments made by parents or community members at the end of the article.  I liked the one that said something about teaching Christian values. I guess fairness isn't one of those values.  :Sad:
Then there were the same o same o arguments of the rights of the majority and this is a Christian nation etc etc.  But luckily there were arguments of separation of religion and state too. 

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
When I was teaching I proposed we allow a given amount of "days off" for students and their families to use at their choice. I thought that was a good way to satisfy everyones preference regardless of their faith. Since I was there everyday anyway I didn't care when they took days off. Of course the school board shot down my proposal saying some bullshit about it being to disruptive to many teachers, (especially the lazy ones) Just another reason I quit teaching after 3 1/2 years.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I wonder how many death-threats those council members have recieved from Christians, and how soon some of them will be carried out. Thwarting the faithful can be very dangerous!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users