Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jacob Slept Here

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,583 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia
Jacob\'s Dream.jpg click to enlarge
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/150296?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,828 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
And we all know how hard it is to prove Heisenberg did not sleep here if you don't look in the box. And if the box is already gone because of Nazi tombraiders you have to conclude that Heisenberg did and did not sleep here.

the accumulation of facts which can lead to the conclusion

Oh, yeah, proof. (a large collection of obviously unfounded claims repeatedly incessantly ad nauseum)

"Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them."

--Lao Tzu

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,541 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
That is the very spot where Schrödinger's cat simultaneously dreamed of angels wrestling on the head of a radioactive pin and did not dream of angels wrestling on the head of a radioactive pin. Prove me wrong.
“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,828 posts

That is the very spot where Schrödinger's cat simultaneously dreamed of angels wrestling on the head of a radioactive pin and did not dream of angels wrestling on the head of a radioactive pin. Prove me wrong.

If the cat dreamt the dream then I get to see teeny tiny angels wrestling when they make the movie, if no such dream was dreamt it's no angel wrestling for me. I arbitrarily choose to claim that I believe in tiny angels wrestling. Nobody will be able to tell I'm just making that wager to manipulate the all powerful creator of angel wrestlers.

Blaise Ungodly

--Lao Tzu

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,583 posts

And the Son of God died; it is by all means to be believed, because it is absurd. And he was buried and rose again; the fact is certain because it is impossible.

Tertullian (150-225 AD) in "De Carne Cristi"

Some versions say "credibile est, quia ineptum est" ... it is credible, because it is ridiculous.

Other versions say "credo quia absurdum" ... I believe because it is absurd.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,828 posts

"And the Son of God died; it is by all means to be believed, because it is absurd. And he was buried and rose again; the fact is certain because it is impossible."

I have a vague memory of this BS being taught in religion class at the Catholic high school I survived. I also have a more tenuous recollection of objecting strenuously, and wishing I had said at the time that by implication perhaps scientists should begin focusing only on what is false.

In order to minimize departures from corporate guidelines, religion class was usually taught by a priest.

I think this notion from Tertullian is clearly quite absurd, well obviously, but it reminds me of the changes in mindset we see in Protestant evangelicals - the notion that something being false does not detract from its worthiness as dogma.

Obviously one chooses to suspend their disbelief in order to enjoy a good work of fiction, or a TV/Movie drama, but in everyday life abandoning the use of critical thinking skills is so obviously unwise one wonders why so many seemingly normal people rush into it.

--Lao Tzu

jonathanlobl

jonathanlobl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  • LocationJackson Heights (NYC)

Some versions say "credibile est, quia ineptum est" ... it is credible, because it is ridiculous.

Other versions say "credo quia absurdum" ... I believe because it is absurd.

I thought that line was from St. Augustine.

Minister, Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic (02/20/2002)
"We don't know and we don't care."

Minister, First Church of Atheism (05/10/2008)

"Never trust the clergy!" Jonathan Lobl

Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,583 posts

I wouldn't be surprised if Augustine said the same thing, but this was definitely Tertullian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users