Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Another Bullet Dodged, A Webmaster Really, Really Pissed Off

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,831 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Earlier this week I spent hours upgrading all of my Wordpress blogs hosted on this server.  I try to keep current with the software that is used here, because I know very well that if you don't you'll pay the price later.

So I got all of my Wordpress blogs up to version 2.1.1 because it included some non-disclosed security fixes.

Last night I flew into a yelling, screaming, tantrum of a fit when I learned that the servers at Wordpress.com had been compromised, and the software I had dutifully installed included a backdoor that had been inserted in the code by a cracker. (story)

I can't remember the last time i was so upset.  I literally spend hours every single day reviewing logs on this server and doing everything that I know how to do to keep it secure for the use of human visitors.  To think that my efforts to secure the machine were actually opening it for attacks was just more than I could bear.

I came very, very close about 8PM last night to simply shutting down this entire server and giving up on webhosting completely.  Finally I went to bed and just pulled the covers up over my head.  There is just no end to the evil that humans do, none at all.  It gets depressing sometimes.

Anyway, I'm over my temper tantrum now, and the insecure version of Wordpress has been "upgraded" to the actual Wordpress product.

I still would like to get my hands around the neck of the person that did this, and crush their windpipe so that they die.  Then I could stomp on their corpse for a few hours.  I bet the asshole is a Repugnican.

It's really a constant struggle.  On an average day this webserver is attacked 5 or 6 times.

Well, I just needed to vent.  I hope it did not waste too much of your time.  I'll never know who did this, and the chance that they will ever be forced to face the consequences for their evil deeds is probably even lower than the chance Our Glorious Christian Leader will pay for his crimes.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Earlier this week I spent hours upgrading all of my Wordpress blogs hosted on this server.  I try to keep current with the software that is used here, because I know very well that if you don't you'll pay the price later.

So I got all of my Wordpress blogs up to version 2.1.1 because it included some non-disclosed security fixes.

Last night I flew into a yelling, screaming, tantrum of a fit when I learned that the servers at Wordpress.com had been compromised, and the software I had dutifully installed included a backdoor that had been inserted in the code by a cracker. (story)

That's despicable! There seem to be just too many ways for the bad guys to win, and us good guys can't win for losin'.

I can't remember the last time i was so upset.  I literally spend hours every single day reviewing logs on this server and doing everything that I know how to do to keep it secure for the use of human visitors.  To think that my efforts to secure the machine were actually opening it for attacks was just more than I could bear.

Somewhat ironic, yeah. I'd've gone ballistic myself, so don't feel guilty for throwing a tantrum when shit like this happens. Hell, I bet even Gandhi'd be ready to kill the perp!

I came very, very close about 8PM last night to simply shutting down this entire server and giving up on webhosting completely. 

Oh, horror! Think of your fans!

Finally I went to bed and just pulled the covers up over my head.  There is just no end to the evil that humans do, none at all.  It gets depressing sometimes.

Anyway, I'm over my temper tantrum now, and the insecure version of Wordpress has been "upgraded" to the actual Wordpress product.

My hero!  :smt050

I still would like to get my hands around the neck of the person that did this, and crush their windpipe so that they die.  Then I could stomp on their corpse for a few hours.  I bet the asshole is a Repugnican.

Actually, I'd stomp on 'im for few hours first before crushing his windpipe, but I bet he's a neocon theocratic pro-life Rethug, all right.

It's really a constant struggle.  On an average day this webserver is attacked 5 or 6 times.

You've got a heavy workload, with 73 sites to worry about. There not all on the smae server, are they? 

Well, I just needed to vent.  I hope it did not waste too much of your time.  I'll never know who did this, and the chance that they will ever be forced to face the consequences for their evil deeds is probably even lower than the chance Our Glorious Christian Leader will pay for his crimes.

Well, if you can't vent here, where can you vent?

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
I know how  p_ _ _ed off you must be.  With what little I do on the computer I would be crushed if anything terrible happened to my "stuff".  And the only way that anything will happen to my stuff is that I will forget to save it and lose it.
I went to all of the sites that you have listed. I didn't read everything and didn't buy anything  :Sad:, but I sure could see how much work you have put into everything.  I like the new fag one because I like the way you can change the background colors.  I want to do that. Posted Image

I hope nothing happens to the ANGF.  I would really be sad mad. Posted Image

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,831 posts
I really don't want to give it all up.  I have no idea what else I'd do with my time.  I was just blowing off steam because my safety valve was about to burst :-)

And thank you for your many valuable contributions here, you're doing your part to help combat vicious ancient superstitions.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada
Man, Steve, I slightly feel as If I have failed you. I need to spend some more time, on Atheism Rules as you can see it is not in good condition. I'll get my ass on it asap.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,831 posts
My young friend, how can you have failed me when you never promised me anything in the first place?  And I never asked you to either, so it's all good.

For those who may not get what is being discussed here, I offered Tophat free hosting of a domain here.  But as a friendly, well-adjusted young person he has a social life, so tinkering with websites is not his highest priority.

Tophat, do as you wish when you wish to do it.  No harm, no foul.

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada
I shall, I have gathered a friend of mine who is willing to help. He was really awesome in helping me. My idea is to try to have a newspaper layout, so I can get people to write articles on their thoughts of religion and such. Get some streaming of youtube videos... it could work.

Storybook

Storybook

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6,177 posts
Ungodly, I appreciate all you do.  Please don't ever give up. 

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,831 posts

Ungodly, I appreciate all you do.  Please don't ever give up. 

Thank you very much, you might not know how much that means to me.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Don't worry kids, Steve aint going nowhere. If he quit doing this he'd be like a big zit ready to pop! He was just pissed because of the cocknockers out there with nothing better to do than short out the circuits. We all appreciate your good works friend and your vigilance. :snork_lach:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,831 posts

Don't worry kids, Steve aint going nowhere. If he quit doing this he'd be like a big zit ready to pop!

It's hard to argue with that statement :-)

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Thank you very much, you might not know how much that means to me.

Your forum gives me something to look forward to each day.  I'm glad I found it.

Storybook, I am glad you joined.  You have such positive things to say to others that post. It shows you read them all.  :snork_lach: There are so many funny things to read here.  It is nice to have a little place to come to on a break from the real world. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users