Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

slip sliding away

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
For me it wasn't an escape but rather a slipping away. quietly, without announcement or fanfare. I didn't have a grande epiphany, it was suddle and calm. I awoke one day and realized I was free of worry as to if I would be able to please God that day. I did have a breakaway when I left the seminary, but it was a break in ritual, teaching and dogma much more than faith. I returned to the beliefs of my people and realized that we are all children of the earth and if there was a "God" it was nature. To be respected, honored and sometimes feared but not to be worshipped, sacrificed to, or bowed to. My beliefs are simple, yet complicated. :)

Hypercube

Hypercube

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I was raised christian, but even as a kid I had always found religion and church to be very boring. My parents always struggled to get my siblings and me to come to church with them, so in the end they just gave up and actually never brought the subject of religion up again. After that I never gave it much thought. I think I considered myself somwhat of an agnostic back then. I had never actually read up on the history of religion and the theory of evolution, for example. Because I went to a christian highschool, I really didn't get to know anything about it.

It wasn't until about 1,5 years ago, when I stumbled on the now late christianburner.com forum, that I realized what a complete and utter load of crap christianity really is. Since then I've been reading a lot about religion, history, evolution, philosophy etc. It's been a great wake up call.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
I was raised Catholic in a small village in rural Pennsylvania, and I was the only kid my age that attended Catholic school in a nearby Pennsylvania steel-making town. I was 14 years old when I discovered something that all boys discover, and the Catholic church said it was a mortal sin if I did it.

It was so blatantly obvious to me that this practice of, well, you know, was a good thing and not a bad thing. In fact I could not imagine anything better, well yes I could, but here I go drifting again.

My conflict with the Church over a normal, healthy practice they condemned served to open my eyes, and just at a time when many young people revolt against what they've been taught; I revolted at much of what I'd been taught.

I exposed Catholicism and Christianity to critical thought and they failed. First I rejected the completely preposterous Christian theology. Since then, especially in recent years, I've become painfully and personally aware of the harm done by people to other people in the name of an Imaginary Bearded Sky Daddy.

As a pacifist I find Christianity generally lacking, with notable exceptions like the Quakers, many of whom are Christian. I attended Friends Meeting in Pennsylvania for a while, not as a theist but as a lover of peace.

But today, with several religions battling it out for body counts and extremes of horror, I need to say clearly to people that I think their doG does not exist and offer an alternative to myth-based lifestyles.

We need to start steering our planet back towards sanity and away from religion.

Val

Val

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm still trying to escape! :D Most of my family doesn't know that I'm an atheist. Some of my friends don't even know. I guess that since none of them really try to impose their religion on me or even talk about it much, it just never really comes up.

Anyways, I became agnostic my senior year of high school. I had tried reaching out to supernatural forces in many ways. I went to church, I lit candles, I did the Ouija board. None of it worked. I thought I was doing something wrong. It eventually dawned on me that maybe this stuff isn't really true. A lot of things didn't add up. I started learning more about the contradictions in the Bible. I started seeing more of the hypocrisy of Christians. Tarot cards don't tell the truth. When stuff doesn't work, there's always an explanation. I got tired of the excuses. If I turned in homework with that many contradictions and gave that many excuses, I would've failed! I learned more from my journalism class about how I want to live my life than I did from going to church. (Journalism class taught me the importance of giving people free speech and the exchange of ideas....my political beliefs also became more solidified since I obviously read the paper frequently.)

I considered myself agnostic for the longest time, and on some level still do.I don't know everything. We could all day and go to some magnificent Beerland for all I know, but I highly doubt it.

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
I was freed from the shackles of all religion when I found God, whoohoooo! "And the truth shall set you free" and all that. :-)

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
It was a real struggle for me to relinquish the God hypothesis, but the study of science, philosophy and the history of religion, especially Christianity, left me no belief in God or any afterlife. The straw that broke the back of supernaturalism was Ockam's razor, and I realized I had no need of the God hypothesis. It wasn't even a choice, really, the belief was just gone, like may other beliefs I had as a child.

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
Funny it's partially Occam's razor which leads me to a teleological perspective on existence-- I can't be doing with multiplying accidents, coincidences and lucky strikes of lightning. I'm told by many that there has probably been many universes that failed and that, of course, we're only here to speculate this one because it worked, and that it's nothing special... but to me multiplying universes like that kinda flies in the face of Ockham.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users