Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My Little Book of Sayings

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
I posted about My Little Book of Sayings elsewhere in the forum but will attempt to continue it here.  :Tounge:

I am always finding something I think is a really good and jot it down. Nothing deep or profound.  Actually I skip over anything that is deep and profound. I just look for the stuff that has meaning for me. Perhaps what I share will make sense to you too. If not, no problem.

I receive the usual emails from friends wishing me god's peace or a piece of god .  Really don't mind as they are well intended and from harmless friends. But there comes a time......

I finally decided I was going to send something back every time I got a pray for me message. That did take a lot of courage on my part at first.

I got a message from an acquaintance. It was one of those emails that show all the rest of the world getting it too. No BBC.
So I replied to the whole list.  I knew none of them.

I sent a poem that I had in my Little Book. Most of you are probably familiar with it. HERE I love it and find it a gentle way to let others know who I am and what I feel. 
I now respond in kind to any emails I get.

I always try to be a lady but it is  *&$%#   hard sometimes.

I still receive those angel messages, but I am not so timid about sending a little tidbit back.

Oh well. I always loved fairy stories.  :Wink:

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
How often have I said," Let's just use our common sense" or "Why don't they use common sense".

I still hear it a lot, but I try not to use it. I read the following and added it to my book.

Common Sense is often unthinking, and a lazy submission to tradition.

It is that word common that seems to bother me.  I looked it up in the dictionary
Belonging equally to or shared equally by two or more; joint: common interests.

Looked up sense:  Any of the faculties by which stimuli from outside or inside the body are received and felt, as the faculties of hearing, sight, smell, touch, taste, and equilibrium.

A common idea or common plan of action held by 2 or more and could be very idiotic.
It is often just doing something everybody has done for years with little thought of why.

Now when I hear someone talk about using common sense in anything not only in a religious context, I try to make sure that I am not just following someone else's common ideas  but am also using some sensory imput of my own.

Sometimes friends or relatives will say "Oh lady, you are just being stubborn" when I don't agree or go along with somebody.
Well I may be stubborn, but I sure ain't common. Posted Image

I have just been hearing the news of the killing of a student in Colorado.  One mother said she prayed....and her kid was OK.  I bet the mother of the student who was killed prayed too.  But then of course we know some gods demand sacrifices and he/she knows best and has glorious plans.

Why don't people use their common sense   my common sense and see what is really going on?  Posted Image

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Today is the first day of October.  Today is Sunday.  Sunday signifies the day upon which the sun was worshipped.
Too hot to do much sun worshipping of any kind where I live.  So I don't.
I guess others are praying and giving thanks to some doG or other. I don't like being left out so I will repeat a little something I have written in my note book. I wish I could remember where I found it.  I have Googled and came up with a lot of stuff but not
the exact quote.  It may be a Robert Ingersoll quote, but I don't know.

And since I feel in such a thankful mood, I will repeat it ten times.

I thank doG every day that he/she does not exist.

Oops did it 11  Posted Image

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,831 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Lady, you're a breath of fresh air. :Wink:

It was hot here today too, it seems odd to be using the air conditioning in October.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
I am sure nobody here in the forum has experienced this yet, but when you get a bit "up there in age" you can't sleep. Posted Image
I do fall in that group..barely...  :roll: and find it very true.  I am roaming around at all hours of the night.  The good thing is that
I really don't feel tired the next day.
What does this have to do with religion etc? Probably nothing.

I found a bit of advice written in my book that seemed worth sharing.
"As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death."
As usual I did not write down the source. I searched and found that it was Leonardo da Vinci. Now I know it is worth sharing.  :snork_lach:

Just what is a well-spent day?  I suppose to Leonardo it was painting, making scientific discoveries and writing clever little sayings.

None of that would do me much good.  My drawings look like a 4 year olds. I struggled with chemistry and physics. And my husband groans when I try to be cute.
Each person's well spent day must be self determined.
I remember when I was very young I was arranging marbles on a Chinese Checker board.  I was making nice little patterns and designs and was so pleased with myself. I was crushed when my father said, "Why don't you do something useful".
I am sure I could not have made a living sorting marbles, and I did eventually do something useful with my life.  I taught for many years. And that really did keep me awake at nights. Posted Image

I have never been confronted by anyone asking me about the meaning of life or what comes after death if I don't believe in heaven etc.  But there sure seems to be a lot of people concerned about it.  I am not ready to die, but I am not going to be unhappy about it. I spend my days keeping busy with things I enjoy and I lead a life that hurts no one.  I still may not sleep so well, but I am happy as I toss and turn. Posted Image

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,831 posts
Well, not everybody here is a teenager. I might come across that way sometimes with my penchant for sarcasm, but in fact I just announced my retirement at work. Monday October 16 will be the end of a 40 year career in various parts of the electronic industry.

I think I'll be spending more time online, trying to get more content onto my websites, to build the traffic.

And since this topic is about sayings, here is something to think about when you are upset with someone you care about - words of anger never spoken need never be regretted.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Well, not everybody here is a teenager. 

And since this topic is about sayings, here is something to think about when you are upset with someone you care about - words of anger never spoken need never be regretted.

Not all teens...thank GOD. :snork_lach:

I really am awed, impressed or something with some teens I have met in a forum. They have posted very intelligent things and have been a lot of fun.  At their age I hardly said more than "Yes, sir and yes, ma'am.  We can learn a lot from each other if we listen.

Yes, please post some sayings.  Running out of my own. :geek:

I recently watched part of an interview with Justice Ginsberg.  She said her mother-in-law gave her some advice when she married.  It was something like Be Deaf at times.  :smt014 Maybe that means "Turn the other ear".

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,831 posts
Bertrand Arthur William Russell [Third Earl Russell] (1872-1970)
British philosopher, mathematician, social critic, and writer

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."
-- A History of Western Philosophy

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I remember coming across a quote a few years ago that this reminds me of:

I want to thank God for fucking up my life, and also for not existing, which is a pretty special trick

Unfortunately, I can't remember who said it, a comedian from (I think) Australia, but I haven't been able to find it again.

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Unfortunately, I can't remember who said it, a comdian from (I think) Australia, but I haven't been able to find it again.

It probably isn't him, but here is an Australian.

John Safran's Religious Retribution There is a game there that's funny along with some other funny stuff.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
One of my favorites that sums up my feelings about the roads I have traveled, the many, many jobs I have done. The people I have met and generally a life too full of experiences for anyone to understand why I am the way I am.

"There is no such thing as a normal life. There's just life."
                                        Doc Holliday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users