Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

...The wise man shouts it from the rooftops

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,810 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

How appropriate that the “atheist rally,” also known by organizers as the “reason rally” was held so close to April 1, because “The fool has said in his heart, ‘there is no God.’” (Psalm 14:1) April Fool’s Day, get it?
Source

There is an old joke about an atheist who goes to court complaining that he has no holidays. The judge dismisses the case saying that atheists do have a holiday: April Fools' Day. He then proceeds to cite Psalm 14:1.

One can tell that this is a Judeo-Christian joke. Not even ex-judge Roy Moore could issue so blatantly theocratic a ruling, and only a deeply insular religious person could think that an atheist would sit still for a religious ruling in civil court.

But is the joke on them? It is Christians—specifically young-Earth creationists—who have shown vulnerability to practical jokes. One group of YECs mounted an expedition for Noah's Ark in response to a "discovery" reported on April 1. New Mexicans for Science and Reason once raked in a whole bunch of fools for Jesus with a fake fossil "discovery." And it has become somewhat of an Internet tradition for atheists to announce their conversion to Christianity on April 1. April Fools' Day may be an appropriate secular holiday after all—but not for the reason Christians think.

The idea that atheists have no holidays is a delusion. Let us examine the federal holidays in the USA (which, per her constitution, must not be religious anyway):
  • New Year's Day: What is specifically religious about celebrating the privilege of experiencing life?
  • Martin Luther King Jr. Day: This Christian was great because he was also a great humanist.
  • Presidents Day: Our civil leaders are not gods.
  • Memorial Day: One does not have to honor a god to honor those who have given their lives for us.
  • Independence Day: We celebrate our independence from religious conflict.
  • Labor Day: “The hands that help are better far than lips that pray.” —Robert G. Ingersoll
  • Columbus Day: I don't know that we should be honoring this butcher, but the holiday is arguably non-religious.
  • Veterans Day: One does not have to honor a god to honor those who have defended us.
  • Thanksgiving Day: Deities aren't the only entities that can be thanked.
  • Christmas, the only federal holiday that could plausibly be considered religious: Ganulin v. United States addressed this one, for better or for worse. But Richard Ganulin is Jewish; I know of no atheist who has ever brought suit against Christmas. Nativity scenes, yes (and we always win, unlike Mr. Ganulin), but never Christmas itself. Besides, Isaac Newton is one religious person every atheist admires.

Happy International Atheists Day! Party on!

Edited by Cousin Ricky, 16 March 2017 - 08:46 PM.
New link to the Noah's ark article.

“Facts seem to roll off a Christian like water off a duck.” —Great Ape

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

“You don’t understand. My crisis of faith is over.

Great Ape

Great Ape

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • LocationTexas
Yay! Party time! :drunken_smilie1:

Posted Image

Edited by Great Ape, 01 April 2012 - 08:47 AM.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,810 posts

But is the joke on them? It is Christians—specifically young-Earth creationists—who have shown vulnerability to practical jokes. One group of YECs mounted an expedition for Noah's Ark in response to a "discovery" reported on April 1. New Mexicans for Science and Reason once raked in a whole bunch of fools for Jesus with a fake fossil "discovery."

Here's another: In September 2000, the Institute for Creation Research fell for an April Fools' joke in Discover magazine—a joke that Discover readers saw straight through.

“How much can you actually doubt something and still maintain that you believe it?” —Josh K, “Alpha and Omega”

Great Ape

Great Ape

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • LocationTexas
Who would of thought Christians were so gullible? If they believe this stuff they will believe anything. Oh wait.....

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,810 posts

Yay! Party time! :drunken_smilie1:

Posted Image

Where did you get that graphic? Is it original, is some atheist organization promoting the holiday, or is it just another Christian making a fool of himself?

Great Ape

Great Ape

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • LocationTexas

Where did you get that graphic? Is it original, is some atheist organization promoting the holiday, or is it just another Christian making a fool of himself?

I found it while searching Google images for, 'National Atheist Holiday'. It's from a website titled, 'Debunking Atheists", so it is just another Christian making a fool of himself. The blogger was talking about Ray Comfort and how he has a bumper sticker just like his. So it is a Christian bumper sticker.

I had to work on it to get the size I posted. This is the original image.

Posted Image

Edited by Great Ape, 01 April 2012 - 12:37 PM.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,706 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

Here's another: In September 2000, the Institute for Creation Research fell for an April Fools' joke in Discover magazine—a joke that Discover readers saw straight through.

That is so sweet it's like candy just exploded in my mouth, I hope that was candy.

Join our religion of love and peace or burn in hell!

RIP Joe Bloe

RIP Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

How appropriate that the “atheist rally,” also known by organizers as the “reason rally” was held so close to April 1, because “The fool has said in his heart, ‘there is no God.’” (Psalm 14:1) April Fool’s Day, get it?

Whoever says "You fool!" shall be liable to the hell of fire.
Matthew 5:22

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,706 posts
Joe, I think you may have saved us all! That's great because I hear that Yahweh character has a really mean temper. Well done!

Great Ape

Great Ape

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • LocationTexas
Joe saved us all? Joe is the savior?? Joe is Jesus!! :Tounge:

RIP Joe Bloe

RIP Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts
Aw shucks fellers, twernt nuthin'

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 21,706 posts
I don't know for sure if Joe is *the* saviour, but he is certainly a world class performer at demonstrating paradoxical nonsense in Teh Buybull. I was thinking more along the lines of Mighty Mouse.

(sung to the tune of Mighty Mouse theme song)

Mister Dogma never hangs around
When he hears this Mighty sound.

"Here I come to save the day"

That means that Joe Bloe is on his way.
Yes sir, when there is stoopit to quote
Joe Bloe will float your boat.
On the sea or on the land,
He gets the situation well in hand.

Great Ape

Great Ape

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • LocationTexas
Brilliant! :Happy:

Posted Image

Edited by Great Ape, 02 April 2012 - 05:06 AM.

RIP Joe Bloe

RIP Joe Bloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,061 posts

I don't know for sure if Joe is *the* saviour, but he is certainly a world class performer at demonstrating paradoxical nonsense in Teh Buybull. I was thinking more along the lines of Mighty Mouse.

(sung to the tune of Mighty Mouse theme song)

Mister Dogma never hangs around
When he hears this Mighty sound.

"Here I come to save the day"

That means that Joe Bloe is on his way.
Yes sir, when there is stoopit to quote
Joe Bloe will float your boat.
On the sea or on the land,
He gets the situation well in hand.

Thanks Ungodly, that's a much better poem than the one that was written about me in days gone by:

He's as mad as a hatter
He's as silly as a snake
He drives people crazy - asleep or awake

It doesn't matter who you are
To him you're all the same
And if you give him long enough - he'll drive you all insane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users