Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Celiac disease video on CNN

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
I haven't watched, so I have no idea of the content, but I wanted to send this up before I forgot since this subject is of concern to many of us, including our Fearless Leader!

CNN Report On Celiac

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Thanks for the link.  I'm pleased to report that there were no errors of fact in that video.  Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder, if it is undiagnosed or ignored it leads to all sorts of malnutrition-related problems such as  osteoporosis, pernicious anemia and a hugely increased probability of developing stomach cancer.

In celiac disease a hypervigilant immune system falsely considers protein fragments in the bloodstream as an invading organism, then reacts by attacking and destroying the microscopic villi that line the small intestine.  This dramatically reduces the effective surface area of the digestive system causing malnutrition.

My mother, who died of stomach cancer in January, also had an extremely severe case of osteoporosis and pernicious anemia.  All of my siblings think I'm a fanatic of some kind because I used to suggest to her that she should try a gluten-free diet.   Celiac disease depends on a genetic variation that can only be inherited, it is not contagious in any way.  I got it from one of my parents, my daughter got it from me.

Celiac disease often causes psychiatric anomalies as well.  My first born son, now deceased, had psychiatric problems which eventually manifested as Fundamentalist Disorder and led indirectly to his death by suicide so he could be with his Imaginary Bearded Sky Daddy.  I guess my beard was not good enough.

I've often been told I'm crazy too, but I seem to be eating well despite that fact.

My second son, a remarkably sane and successful young man, is not interested in knowing if he has celiac disease.

My daughter was diagnosed about 5 years ago.

I only found out about my having this problem by a remarkable series of coincidences.

My lovely husband and I had just moved to a new neighborhood and we went out riding our bicycles around our new neighborhood.  As I went around a tree-lined curve going fairly quickly I saw an unexpected stop sign and immediately stopped my bicycle.  I continued moving over the handlebars and onto the ground.  It was a minor, low speed accident with some modest road rash.  I was wearing a brand new helmet for the first time, my husband had bought it for me.

24 hours later my right arm still hurt like all heck, so I went to have it X-rayed.  The doctor said it was not broken but that my bones were as thin as those of an old lady.  This was many years ago and I was merely middle-aged at the time.  She told me to see my regular doctor to find out why my bones were so thin.  For years I had become nearly disabled with pain if I jarred the bones in my leg slightly, like stepping off a curb the wrong way.

Blood tests revealed pernicious anemia and iron deficiency anemias, not common in men.  My doctor thought I must be bleeding internally.  An endoscopy by a highly competent doctor then discovered the cause, without my ever having had the typical digestive symptoms.

The incidence of celiac disease is highest in Caucasian people, possibly because they may have started cultivating wheat first. A first-order relative (parent, sibling, child) of a person with celiac disease has a 20% chance of having it themselves.  All of my siblings refuse to consider being tested, perhaps because I'm to be ignored in all matters.  So it goes.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Thanks Storybook.  To answer your question about testing, years ago a biopsy of small intestine tissue was considered the gold standard for diagnosis.  More recently new blood tests can pin it right down.

An often missed diagnostic clue has to do with a persons stools.  If a persons stools usually float it indicates a high percentage of undigested fats and/or gas.  Sorry about the graphic details.

Below is a quote from this page.

A doctor may order one or more celiac disease tests, along with tests to evaluate the status and extent of a patient

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users