Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Study Finds Correlation Between Religious Affliction and Social Ills

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
A new study published by the Journal of Religion and Society provides a statistical analysis of crime rates, rates of STD infections, abortion rates and other indicators of societal ills in various developed democratic nations and compares the results against rates of religious affliction in these modern countries.

Consistent with other studies of this type, the data clearly shows that violent crime, STD infections, and abortion rates are highest in those countries with the highest rate of religious affliction.

Clearly, and in case after case, it is demonstrated that a higher rate of belief in an God correlates with higher rates of criminal and ill-advised behaviors.

Who's surpised? People afflicted with religious beliefs are not surprised because they will deny, deny, and deny to protect their core stupidity.

People that are scientifically inclined, instead of favoring ridiculous ancient superstitions, are not surprised because it is obvious to them that religious afflictions harm every society infected with them.

It seems to be another case where those who seek wisdom have an opportunity to learn more, and those who cling desperately to ancient superstitions have another inconvenient fact to diligently ignore. Have a look at the study for yourself.

Seti

Seti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Studies show a similar pattern within the US:
Top ten states for divorce 2004: NV, AR, WY, ID, WV, AL, KU, OK, TN, FL
Top ten states for illegitimacy 2003: NM, LA, MS, DE, AZ, SC, FL, NV, GA, AR
:fi_lone_ranger:

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
My Dad (A hardcore atheist if there ever was one) use to say to me in his endearing fatherly mode, "If you fuck up, they'll throw your ass in jail!" I never once heard "If you fuck up, Jesus will come outa the sky and scold you for sinning"

I always enjoy bringing these studies down to a more earthy level.  :snork_lach:

TopHat

TopHat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationSouthern Canada
I always wondered. Say scientists prove religion is a disease and is slowly becoming useless in daily life and 30% of a population is atheist and the president is religious. Would the president deny this new scientific proof?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California

I always wondered. Say scientists prove religion is a disease and is slowly becoming useless in daily life and 30% of a population is atheist and the president is religious. Would the president deny this new scientific proof?

Sure, isn't religion all about denying reality?  Look at the Glorious Christian Leade currently infesting Washington, he is a world leader in denying reality. He says crap like "We're making progress in Vietraq" and other clearly ludicrous claims, and it seems to really believe its own lies.

The Force

The Force

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThe Final Frontier

Well, look at creationists.

Look again.

Think about it.

There's your answer.

Religion wouldn't exist if people didn't feel the need to deny reality (like death) and turn to blissful ignorance for comfort. It's easy to robotically deny stuff without giving it any thought. It's much harder to face the music and deal with it; that's why not many people are nontheistic.

Aren't prison populations like, 98% christian or something? Ouch.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
I would venture to say that the #1 reason that people turn to religion is the fear of death. I don't have any proof of that and I wouldn't trust people to answer as such, but if I were a mind worm I bet that is what I would see more often than not. There are very few people who don't fear death and those that say they don't are probably lying. Point a loaded gun between their eyes and see what they say. :shock: It is only natural and if that gives them comfort, I don't really give a shit. The only time it bugs me is when they start telling ME that I am going to roast in some bar-b-que land for all eternity if I don't start following their rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users