Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Blogs] Comparative Religion Classes in Public Schools

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Hank

Hank

Hank is a 'bot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
Comparative Religion Classes in Public Schools Many people

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Since religious afflictions are so ubiquitous, we certainly would be well advised to increase our understanding of this problem.  And the first step to fixing any widespread social problem is to conduct a thorough and objective study of the problem and it's causes.  The second step is education.  It is well known that education and religious afflictions tend toward mutual exclusion. The better a person's education, the lower their chance of suffering a religious affliction.

I've always wondered if religious afflictions reduce the ability to learn about reality, or if learning about reality drives out religious afflictions like a sort of karmic Ex-Lax.  It might be a little of each.

I support the idea of teaching comparative religion so long as the course material does not gloss over the millions of deaths that have been directly caused by this extremely common problem.

Young people need to understand religion so that it will become obvious to them that the only good religion is a dead religion.

It remains to be seen whether humanity will wipe out the scourge of religious afflictions, or whether it will be the other way around.

FlatEarth1024

FlatEarth1024

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

I support the idea of teaching comparative religion so long as the course material does not gloss over the millions of deaths that have been directly caused by this extremely common problem.

And this is the part that always worries me about letting religion into the schools.  I'm sure the plan is for this to be done in a sort of "The Christians believe...The Muslims believe...The Jews believe...they're be a test on Friday" fashion.

But you always have to worry about the inevitable "Today we will discuss Islam, Praise Allahalalalalalalalala!"  Even in a pseudo-constructive fashion as this, I am terrified of inviting the potential for 'give an inch, take a mile' abuse of religious discussion depending on the personal agenda of the people in question.

It could be kind of like inviting Tony Soprano to your school to give children a fair, unbiased assessment of the Mafia, and then watching in horror as he starts shaking down protection money from the kids in fourth period and running a loan-shark operation in the lunch room.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
I think these concerns are very well founded.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
There is a great little book I have owned for many years titled "What the great religions believe" written by Joseph Gaer. It is a straightforward, no nonsense text with examples of both the belief structures and some examples of the individual texts of the biggest faiths. I would recommend this book to anyone who want to know the basics without all the superfilous horseshit. It would make a good text for a class room.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,722 posts
That's a good start, understanding the preposterous beliefs of the various ridiculous religions.  But I think it is also important to teach children about the milions and millions of murders that have been done in the name of these various forms of idiocy.

The take away lesson is: religion is your enemy and here are some of the ways that it can hurt you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users