Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Non-violent Buddhism Shows Bloody Face in Sri Lanka

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
http://irregulartime...hindu-violence/

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
If it did not advocate killing people for the sake of the glorious people's GodState, how could Buddhism be taken seriously as a religion?  Without murder all you have is a philosophy.  To be pious and curry favor (Sri Lanka pun) with The One True God you must add death threats to your dogma.  Ask any Pope.

In order to continue to exist, any religion needs a body count. And in order to thrive a religion needs a rising body count. The religion that kills the most people naturally rises to the top and becomes politically dominant. This is called Survival of the Specious.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I wonder how Arthur C. Clarke feels about his adopted country's religious violence?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
Compartmerntalization.

One of my husband's best friends married a Sri Lankan lady.  We've visited them in the Greater London area.  She lightened up on the spices when she kindly cooked up a feast for us and it was super duper fantastic.

I think the religious intolerance has become so much of an institution that the folks there now see it all as a political struggle.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

She lightened up on the spices when she kindly cooked up a feast for us and it was super duper fantastic.

Was she trying to curry favor?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
Yes, and it worked.

I sometimes start hiccupping if I eat something that is really, really hot.  It was, I did.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yes, and it worked.

I sometimes start hiccupping if I eat something that is really, really hot.  It was, I did.

That happens to me, too, but once the hiccups quit, then I can eat the spicy food with no further discomfort, except, of course the hotness on the tongue. For decades I wouldn't eat anything hot, but I realized I had a problem once when I was at a ballgame with my girlfriend. She sent me to the stand for nachos, I came back with what she termed "naked nachos", and she sent me back to get peppers put on. Since then, I've been slowly but surely acquiring a taste for the hot stuff. I dearly love that Louisianna hot sauce, or Crystal, that's a good one, as wel, because they taste very good while being fairly mild. I used to hate bell peppers, too, but now I can eat 'em if they're cooked, like on pizza. I still can't stand cucumbers, though!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
Well, I don't feel that bothered by it when I start hiccuping, and now that you mention it I suppose once the first round passes I'm good to go too.  The hiccups are like a badge of authenticity for a good curry.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest

I still can't stand cucumbers, though!

It's a wise man that knows that cucumbers, unless thoroughly pickled, are not food.

FYI:  My old man was a WWII prisoner of war and the Japanese prison guards would steal all their Red Cross rations except the cucumber seeds. Apparently they didn't like cucumbers. But the prisoners planted them so that they would have some fresh veggys. Well after the war, the old man hated cukes so much he couldn't even look at one. What is so funny is all of us kids hate them as well even though we didn't learn about this untill we were all adults. Genetic vegetable revulsion? Is that possible? :snork_lach:

PS Oh by the way, Sri Lanka is a shithole.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
I'm reminded of the year that we tried to start a vegetable garden in Santa Clara.  The soil was more like clay than dirt.  Hardly anything grew at all, except our zucchini, which got to be nearly the size of baseball bats.  To this day my poor husband is afraid of zucchini. He'll bravely struggle through if you cut it up, cook it, and serve it; but a whole zucchini is like a hand grenade to him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users