Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Blogs] Myth: A Consistent Atheistic Worldview or Philosophy is Impossible, Not Livable

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Hank

Hank

Hank is a 'bot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
Myth: A Consistent Atheistic Worldview or Philosophy is Impossible, Not Livable Most myths about atheism focus on just atheism itself and misrepresent it by attributing qualities to atheism that don't apply. Here we have a slight step forward with a claim... http://atheism.about.../b/a/258849.htm

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Ya know . . I think the word Atheist is used too much. It has become a "thing" an "object" if you will, rather than a stance on belief or non belief. It seems to categorize that which really has no category. My non-belief of some amorphous blob in outer space controlling every atom in all the universes in all space and time, really is, for me at least, a very small part of my life. I don't awake in the morning, jump up out of bed and scream to the world "THERE IS NO GOD!" As a matter of fact, the only time I give it any thought at all is when I am here at ANG. I think "Atheist" has become a badge of courage and also a sign of protest. I find much more amusement in peoples beliefs, raher than their lack of. I like to hear peoples arguments about how atheists can't have a conscience or morals. I like to see the arguments about creation and evolution but I don't think much about it one way or another. Now the absurd stuff. I'm all over that! Giant boats and dinos are hoaxses and that knd of thing make my chops water, but just sitting around arguing God is or isn't seems silly. Perhaps I take it all to lightheartedly and should be more militant but I have aways just let people believe whatever they wanted to and in the end we will all die anyway. I don't believe there is any such thing as an "Atheist" there are degrees of non-belief that are atheistic, but to try and lump all non-believers into a group is just impossible except for with the broadest of brushes. It's like saying all Democrats are the same, or all churchgoers are the same. That just isn't true. Like so many titles, the term "Atheist" will automatically categorize a person into another persons view of what an atheist is, and most often that perception is wrong and misinformed. Hmmmm? Is what I am saying making any sense to anyone but me? Comments?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,830 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
You're making perfectly good sense to me.  And I think the word Atheist has become stigmatized, possibly as a result of atheists being demonized by the same people who also demonize fags.

Here in the online world, as everyone will have noticed by now, I like to be controversial and stir things up.  I realize that the majority of my fellow Americans are going to just dismiss me immediately once they here me described as an Atheist. But most of these people already hate fags anyway, so it's not like I'm losing an audience I might have otherwise reached.

In my mind's eye I see myself as an outsider, not meaning out of doors, of course, but apart from mainstream society.  But those grapes were sour anyway  :roll: he said, convincing no-one.

If I get into a conversation about religious afflictions with someone I'm more likely to avoid using the word atheist to describe myself, and instead get in a little zinger, like saying "I am not afflicted with religious beliefs". This goes beyond just saying I'm an atheist and also expresses a brief hint of the unlimited contempt I have for religion.  In fact, there is only one thing I hate more than religion, and it lives in the White House.

Some people may choose to describe themselves as atheists because it draws a line in the sand between them and those who are afflicted with Fundamentalist Disorder.  Sometimes we feel the need to strongly and unambiguously declare we do not participate in something we consider abominable, like religion or other forms of bigotry.

I really do see your point, I think it is completely valid and sensible, but as the Queen of Shock Value, I tend to go right for the throat, symbolically speaking...

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I like to describe myself as a nihilistic nullifidian eupraxsopher, but 'atheist' will do in a pinch!

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
My philosophical views are probably most consistent with Buddhism or Agnosticism, but I still call myself an atheist because I don't believe in any worshiped beings called gods.  Any kind of philosophy or worldview that gets attached to atheism is only secondary to what defines an atheist.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Whenever asked about going to church or if I am a christian etc. etc. I always respond with "I quit believing in unicorns and fairys a long time ago." That usually sets them back on their heels enough to stop any further questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users