Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's with the word censor?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
Fuck it! Several of my favourite words are being censored, it seems. I know I'm just a foul mouthed old c h r i s t i a n but I feel oppressed!  :Neutral: I know I've got Fuck but what use is Fuck when I can't even talk about myself without someone else's slang invading my post??

And I miss my rolling eyes smiley! Aaargh!

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Hi Jinny

I was worried this little word censor trick might bother you. It is intended to inject a bit of humor into this otherwise emotionally loaded subject material.

There is another version of this software, it is actually a release candidate, that seems to have an option for the administrator to enable that would then allow individual users to turn on and off the word censor for their own account. It is not clear to me exactly how that would function. It might be that only that user would see their posts and oither posts as they were originally written, or perhaps it means that messages posted by such a user would not be censored even when they are read by others, but messages posted by folks not choosing this option would be censored. Do you understand what I mean about this ambiguity?

I want to be very clear that your participation here is very much welcome, and I sincerely hope that my eccentricities won't

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
Hello again Jinny

After a rather large number of phrases that probably should gave been censored, I finally did manage to get version 1.1RC3 of SMF installed and running.

You can now go into your Profile, and in the Modify Profile section, choose the link Look and Layout Preferences, you'll see a new checkbox for Leave words uncensored.

This should resolve that issue, I hope.

Everyone else might want to go into their own profile and have a look at the available options. This new version of the forum software has many new and sophisticated features. I hope you'll enjoy them. :Happy:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
Later in the day I also added lots of smileys to the popup additional smiley list.

Did I get the one you were missing?

If you tell me its code, I can add it to the regular post form so it is handy all the time.

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Later in the day I also added lots of smileys to the popup additional smiley list.

Did I get the one you were missing?

If you tell me its code, I can add it to the regular post form so it is handy all the time.

:roll: !

As for the word censor... unless it's off by default for new users... it will look to them as if I said "Jeebustarianism" instead of the C-word. I can live with it, and I don't want to come over all bleating and persecuted (as us c-words are known to do) but I dunno... I find being unable to say "G o d" or "J e s u s" quite horrible. It bothers me my favourite words merit censorship. On or off censorship an odd option to have in a forum, and I don't know if many people would know about it... the ability of people to miss things blatantly displayed on the front page is legendary. :roll:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
I added :roll: to the smileys shown on the main post page, and added a few more to the popup. You'll see it 6th from the left in the top row, at least right now. I suppose it might change position if I add more smileys to the ones that appear by default.

As far as the word censor goes,I think the current situation is the best compromise between my intense spiritual need to be bitterly sarcastic of Christianity and your reasonable desire to discuss it rationally.

I'm very glad you have not just gone off in a huff.

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

I added :roll: to the smileys shown on the main post page, and added a few more to the popup. You'll see it 6th from the left in the top row, at least right now. I suppose it might change position if I add more smileys to the ones that appear by default.

As far as the word censor goes,I think the current situation is the best compromise between my intense spiritual need to be bitterly sarcastic of Christianity and your reasonable desire to discuss it rationally.

I'm very glad you have not just gone off in a huff.

It would take more than mild censorship to make me huff. :-)

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,541 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
WWJD?

Well, when the WM decides to play God with his SW, Jesus would use the same trick we use over at EA. Even a Christian can do it!

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

WWJD?

Well, when the WM decides to play God with his SW, Jesus would use the same trick we use over at EA. Even a Christian can do it!

Yes indeed, that's why I'm not going to get too much of a huff over it. :-)

Frozenwolf150

Frozenwolf150

Formerly Silentknight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • LocationDivided States of America
Don't you think this kind of censoring is a little bit ridiculous?  After all religious topics are common subject matter of discussion, even (or especially) among atheists and skeptics.  Jesus is just some guy's name, and God isn't really the name of a fictitious deity as it is his job description.

Oh wait, what I meant to say was that Jesus is just some guy's name, and God isn't really the name of a fictitious deity as it is his job description.  Every religion has gods after all, and certain philosophies such as Buddhism use it as a metaphor.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts
I've disabled the word censor globally. All words that were previously censored will now display as they were originally entered.

It's clear that a majority of you did not enjoy the idea, and really your opinions are more important than mine in matters like this.

If we use EA as a case study, it might seem that the best, most successful forums are the ones in which the founder is completely transparent.

I appreciate that everybody was candid about this issue. Thank you for taking the time to tell me that I was screwing up. You might have chosen to just go away and write off this forum. I'm glad you did not do that.

It is not and was not my intention to stifle anyone's freedom of expression. With the exceptions of hate speech and abuse of our members, I want everyone to feel completely free to express themselves. My original intention was simply to inject some humor into a subject area that too many people take too seriously. But with your comments I see that it was misguided.

So, once again, thanks for your persistence in correcting my over-enthusiasm.

Steve

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
Thank you, Steve... may God and Jesus rain blessings down upon you. ;-) :roll:

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,829 posts

Thank you, Steve... may God and Jesus rain blessings down upon you. ;-) :roll:

Funny, I don't feel wet.... :-)

Jinny the Squinny

Jinny the Squinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
They've rained blessings down on me today in the form of a surprise shipment of weed. I'm sure even a hardened atheist like yourself can see why I'd be grateful for that, if you bear in mind there's a massive drought in England at the moment. This is the first time I've been able to get green for a whole FORTNIGHT!  :drunken_smilie1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users