Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Another Major Software Upgrade and Banner Redesign

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Today I installed Release Candidate 3 of version 1.1 of Simple Machine Forum software, SMF.

Don't let the name fool you! Well, it's easy and pleasant to use, I suppose, but doing an upgrade and rolling your own banner can be very complex, especially with a complex theme like this one.

I made quite a few mistakes today as I was working on the site, but with some help from a brilliant programmer everything got corrected and what you see now is likely to stay the same for quite some time.

I hope you have noticed the new site-level banner at the top of the page, I'm pleased with it. Thanks go to SMF designer Bloc for this great theme, and to my lovely husband for helping to debunk an old man's source code. I never knew that a JavaScript variable name could not have a hyphen in it, really, I had no clue.

So if you stopped by earlier today and saw error messages or a messed up page, that was my work in progress. I'm done mucking about with the forum now, but I may be doing some work on the other pages. Those I can test locally before I upload them, since they do not depend on the MySQL database here.

Enjoy, and as always, just say NO to Imaginary Bearded Sky Daddies.

The White Coyote

The White Coyote

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationThe Great Northwest
Had a little trouble with the login this session. It wanted me to verify my password then just sat until it timed out. I had to log in twice. Weird.

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
Sorry, I got that too right after the upgrade. Hopefully it won't happen again when you next connect.

Cousin Ricky

Cousin Ricky

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3,522 posts
  • LocationSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

I never knew that a JavaScript variable name could not have a hyphen in it, really, I had no clue.

The only procedural computer language i know of that allows that is COBOL. Just how old are you anyway?

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,719 posts
I'm only 149.  But you see, I'm out of my league just trying to program in JavaScript. I am not a programmer, and I never have been one. That's why you spotted an error in a lame attempt at a shell script recently over at EA.

Until October 16th, I'm a tech writer. My skill is translating programmer talk into English. I can't program, but I'm familiar with the jargon that programmers use.

After October 16th I'll just be a webmaster.

HTML I can handle, but that is, by definition, just a markup language.

My lovely husband and my brilliant son are both programmers, but I'm not.

And the scary part is that I've got root on this server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users