Welcome to Ain't No God
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

No communion for couple who spoke out against gay marriage ban

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Ungodly

Ungodly

Has Equal Rights

• Administrators
  • 20,826 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
Mar. 12, 2007

GILLETTE, Wyo. (AP) - A lesbian couple in Gillette have been told they can't receive communion at the church they've attended since 1998, in part because they publicly opposed a bill that would have barred Wyoming from recognizing gay marriages.

Leah Vader and Lynne Huskinson have attended Saint Matthew's Catholic Church since 1998, and were married two years ago in Canada. Earlier this year, when the Legislature considered a bill that would have barred Wyoming from recognizing such marriages, the two said the bill amounted to discrimination.

Last week, they got a letter from the Reverend Cliff Jacobson of Saint Matthew's, telling them they can no longer receive communion, in part because of their public position.

Jacobson says the church reaches out to homosexuals, but that it must do so within its own moral structure. He says the Cheyenne Diocese played a role in the decision to bar the women from receiving communion.

Vader says it's an act of discrimination. And she says it's particularly hard coming just before Lent and Easter.

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I hope they fight this until the tax-exemtion is taken away from that damned church!

lady

lady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

I hope they fight this until the tax-exemtion is taken away from that damned church!

That tax thing is the real bitter wine to me too.

I grew up in the Methodist church and they had those little thimble things that barely had a drop in them. I think that is why I joined the Episcopalians in my early twenties. A little sturdier brew.  On the other hand I think I joined the Episcopalians because I was looking over the congregation. They looked like a better class of people guys. Posted Image

Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
For some reason, I've always found the word "Episcopalian" to be funny as hell!  :snork_lach:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users